College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

He will be on a NBA roster for a long time. He can always block shots and rebound.
He will need to guard the three point line as well. Something like how Luke Kornet plays defense in a reserve role for the Celtics. If not he may stay on rosters, provided he's as positive an influence on the locker room as Boban Marjanovic has been with a similar skill set.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
penny fraudaway reminds me of darvin ham just stands there with his hands in his pockets. smu up 43-23
You know it’s bad when the color analyst says “they just look disinterested”. When that happens, you got major issues. One Cent is a horrible coach. No clue about substitution patterns, running an offense or teaching defense and heart.

Reactions: Reckoner84
You know it’s bad when the color analyst says “they just look disinterested”. When that happens, you got major issues. One Cent is a horrible coach. No clue about substitution patterns, running an offense or teaching defense and heart.

Rob Lanier and SMU schooled Anfernee Hardaway and Memphis big time.

Memphis lost to middling North Texas by double digits on Thursday-a much worse loss.

Penny is wearing out his welcome. They're finally figuring out what a terrible coach he is.

Memphis currently 86th in NET ranking.

Memphis lost to middling North Texas by double digits on Thursday-a much worse loss.

Penny is wearing out his welcome. They're finally figuring out what a terrible coach he is.

As much as it feels nice to be validated, I wouldn’t be opposed to them keeping him around for a few more years 😁

Reactions: TennTom
As much as it feels nice to be validated, I wouldn’t be opposed to them keeping him around for a few more years 😁
He’s not going anywhere for now unless he decides it. Defense is his calling card, and the roster he recruited won’t play defense. He has weaknesses in other areas. Next year will be important for him, especially with fans in the seats.

He’s not going anywhere for now unless he decides it. Defense is his calling card, and the roster he recruited won’t play defense. He has weaknesses in other areas. Next year will be important for him, especially with fans in the seats.
Not trying to create an opposing narrative that he's definitely going to get pushed out, but to the bolded point, isn't that his fault? Specifically the underlined part.

How is that a defense of him?

Not trying to create an opposing narrative that he's definitely going to get pushed out, but to the bolded point, isn't that his fault? Specifically the underlined part.

How is that a defense of him?
I specifically stated it that way. So, yes, it’s on him. But he’s made two straight NCAAT with one getting into round 2. They were much worse before him, so he isn’t going anywhere for now.

If Penny didn’t act so childish and immature after the loss to UT in 2018, especially at his weekly press conference, I don’t think a lot of UT fans would give a damn about him and the program.

But after he called out Barnes and the UT program, it’s been personal ever since. I’m born and raised from Memphis but I don’t care at all for Penny or the local program. And that’s all it is. A local fanbase with a local program. Not a national brand. If the Tennessee job and Memphis job came open at the same time, Tennessee’s candidate pool would be better. Memphis fans won’t be able to accept that.

He has made the program a laughing stock with his gimmicks, but he can’t scheme and motivate. He’a not going anywhere after this season, however.

I specifically stated it that way. So, yes, it’s on him. But he’s made two straight NCAAT with one getting into round 2. They were much worse before him, so he isn’t going anywhere for now.
Like I said, I'm not trying to create an opposing narrative that's he's getting canned.

It just seemed like you were saying his roster won't play defense as if it were an excuse for their poor play, and thus an excuse of his poor performance as the head coach. I guess the nuance is lost in text as I read it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to create an opposing narrative that's he's getting canned.

It just seemed like you were saying his roster won't play defense as if it were an excuse for their poor play, and thus an excuse of his poor performance as the head coach. I guess the nuance is lost in text as I read it.
Nope. I don't think I would have added the "he recruited" if I were trying to use it as an excuse. I've stated previously that Memphis and Arkansas are two examples of the problems that can exist with overhauling a roster. Defense is the best side of the ball that Penny teaches, and he just hasn't been able to get this roster to play defense, but apparently, some of them also don't like each other. It's a one year flop after two NCAAT teams. So, if he chooses, he will get another chance to correct it next year. But they need fans in the seats.

VN Store

Back