College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Why pick the top 3? Why not the top 4, 5, 6 etc.. kind of arbitrary.
Because I said the top of the conference. Not the middle or the bottom. And I already agreed with you that the Big 10 is better from top to bottom.

What makes 3 any more/less arbitrary than 4, 5, or 6?

Because I said the top of the conference. Not the middle or the bottom. And I already agreed with you that the Big 10 is better from top to bottom.

What makes 3 any more/less arbitrary than 4, 5, or 6?
top, so why not just the best team? that’s my point it’s arbitrary when discussing conference strength. These conferences will have 8+ teams in the ncaa tournament... well likely not the SEC this year

that’s my point it’s arbitrary when discussing conference strength. These conferences will have 8+ teams in the ncaa tournament... well likely not the SEC this year
I'm not using that "arbitrary" number to prove that one conference is better than the other, though. I already said that I think the Big 10 is better across the board, but I think the SEC is better at the very top. At the very top, I'll take Tennessee, Kentucky, and LSU as a collective group over Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State, meaning that if those 6 teams all played each other, I think the SEC wins the majority of them. The rest of the way down, I'd take the Big 10 in almost every other matchup. I don't know how to say it more plainly than that.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I'm not using that "arbitrary" number to prove that one conference is better than the other, though. I already said that I think the Big 10 is better across the board, but I think the SEC is better at the very top. At the very top, I'll take Tennessee, Kentucky, and LSU as a collective group over Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State, meaning that if those 6 teams all played each other, I think the SEC wins the majority of then. The rest of the way down, I'd take the Big 10 in almost every other matchup. I don't know how to say it more plainly than that.
Sorry - I thought that was somehow justifying an argument that the Big 10 isn’t better. Regardless I think it’s kind of arbitrary to compare the top of the conference. Is the top of the West Coast conference better than the Big East? Maybe but who cares?

Sorry - I thought that was somehow justifying an argument that the Big 10 isn’t better. Regardless I think it’s kind of arbitrary to compare the top of the conference. Is the top of the West Coast conference better than the Big East? Maybe but who cares?
Sorry, just thought it was an interesting talking point given the current conversation.. The same "Who cares?" response could also apply to which conference is better in general, too.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Sorry, just thought it was an interesting talking point given the current conversation.. The same "Who cares?" response could also apply to which conference is better in general, too.
I mean that's not really how you presented it. You said the Big 10 might be better top to bottom but this point about the top of the conference... I agree this seems like a stupid debate... so not sure why it's been pursued to this point. All I said from the beginning is that the Big 10 is a tough conference and that MSU isn't overrated.. they play in a tough conference and are going to lose some games, particularly when they're in a bit of a slump like that are. Still a good team...

I mean that's not really how you presented it. You said the Big 10 might be better top to bottom but this point about the top of the conference... I agree this seems like a stupid debate... so not sure why it's been pursued to this point. All I said from the beginning is that the Big 10 is a tough conference and that MSU isn't overrated.. they play in a tough conference and are going to lose some games, particularly when they're in a bit of a slump like that are. Still a good team...
I haven't disagreed with any of that. My additional comment about the top of the conferences isn't mutually exclusive to your point.

MS State just blew a game against LSU in overtime at home. Could’ve helped create some more separation between us and the Tigers in the conference standings. I’m worried about facing LSU at their place with how well they get offensive rebounds. And Naz Reid is no joke, put up 25 in the second half and overtime tonight

Plenty of teams from bad conferences have made noise in March. How would you rank the top conferences?
I’ve not seen anyone argue that teams from bad conferences can’t do well in March. My point was that the top fourth of conferences are the ones that do their work in March. I do rank the Big Ten ahead SEC. But the SEC does have a stronger top than the Big Ten. But back to back losses to Indiana and Illinois by the Spartans to me means that the top of the conference is not that Strong, not that the bottom of the Big 10 is really good.

Last edited:
Thursday Night's CBB TV Schedule

5:00pm ESPNU Central Connecticut at St. Francis (Pa)
7:00pm CBSSN #12 Houston at UCF
7:00pm ESPN2 #25 Cincinnati at Memphis
7:00pm ESPNU Radford at Hampton
7:00pm ESPN Penn State at Ohio State
9:00pm ESPN #20 Iowa at Indiana
9:00pm ESPNU South Florida at SMU
9:00pm ESPN2 Washington at Arizona
9:00pm CBSSN Western Kentucky at Rice
10:00pm PAC12N Standford at Oregon State
11:00pm ESPN2 BYU at Portland
11:00pm ESPNU Pacific at St. Mary's

Thursday Night's CBB TV Schedule

5:00pm ESPNU Central Connecticut at St. Francis (Pa)
7:00pm CBSSN #12 Houston at UCF
7:00pm ESPN2 #25 Cincinnati at Memphis
7:00pm ESPNU Radford at Hampton
7:00pm ESPN Penn State at Ohio State
9:00pm ESPN #20 Iowa at Indiana
9:00pm ESPNU South Florida at SMU
9:00pm ESPN2 Washington at Arizona
9:00pm CBSSN Western Kentucky at Rice
10:00pm PAC12N Standford at Oregon State
11:00pm ESPN2 BYU at Portland
11:00pm ESPNU Pacific at St. Mary's

Not exactly an all star line up tonight. Thanks for posting.

Upper half of SEC is obviously better than upper half of Big10....Big10 is probably tougher in the lower half but disparity at the top makes the SEC the better conference. Based on current projections, the SEC is likely to have 1 less team in the tourney but will be seeded higher than their Big10 counterparts (by conference rank).

UT > Michigan
UK > Michigan St
LSU > Purdue
Mississippi St > Wisconsin
Arkansas < Maryland
Alabama < Iowa
Auburn > Minnesota

Upper half of SEC is obviously better than upper half of Big10....Big10 is probably tougher in the lower half but disparity at the top makes the SEC the better conference. Based on current projections, the SEC is likely to have 1 less team in the tourney but will be seeded higher than their Big10 counterparts (by conference rank).

UT > Michigan
UK > Michigan St
LSU > Purdue
Mississippi St > Wisconsin
Arkansas < Maryland
Alabama < Iowa
Auburn > Minnesota

Agree except I think Purdue is better than LSU

Agree except I think Purdue is better than LSU
That is a close one...I've seen Purdue play a lot this year and I think they rely too heavily on Carsen Edwards. Don't get me wrong, if he's on, they can beat anyone... but I think LSU has the guard play needed to limit him. Would be a great game to watch.

memfish goes 0-3 since the supa-dupa evah body jelly of the nba coach said they can beat anybody in the country... and blew a huge lead to boot at their half empty home court.

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back