College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Hogs beat Candy by 3 for their 4th SEC win in a row. 5-4 in the SEC for the Hogs. I've always liked Anderson and have a soft spot for Arkansas against everybody but us. Playing their best ball right now

Langford was the team's 3rd leading scorer at 15 ppg. Call it what you want. 4th leading scorer averages 8.5 ppg, so a pretty big drop off.

I'm not saying it excuses a loss to Illinois, but in a tight game like that, you have to think missing a guy who averages 15 ppg probably made a difference.

In any case, at full strength, I disagree that MSU is overrated, which was the assertion of the OP. Since Langford was ruled out for the season, they are 0-3. They are clearly struggling to adjust.
Solid rebuttal. Izzo will have things figured out come tourney time and Winston can light it up any given night...but I still believe the Big 10 is overrated this year. Purdue and Michigan are decent but that's about it.

Hogs beat Candy by 3 for their 4th SEC win in a row. 5-4 in the SEC for the Hogs. I've always liked Anderson and have a soft spot for Arkansas against everybody but us. Playing their best ball right now
Yeah Anderson is a likeable coach...glad we don't have to play them again

Reactions: The Dog
Langford was the team's 3rd leading scorer at 15 ppg. Call it what you want. 4th leading scorer averages 8.5 ppg, so a pretty big drop off.

I'm not saying it excuses a loss to Illinois, but in a tight game like that, you have to think missing a guy who averages 15 ppg probably made a difference.

In any case, at full strength, I disagree that MSU is overrated, which was the assertion of the OP. Since Langford was ruled out for the season, they are 0-3. They are clearly struggling to adjust.
I agree he may have made a difference in the last 3 games esp against Indiana, but tonight they turned the ball over 24 times. Hard to overcome that

Yeah, I liked Nolan, too and Anderson is his protege'. Loved that Williamson, Thurman National Championship team and before that, the Mayday teams. Todd Day and Lee Mayberry
Nolan was legit... that chaotic full press was always exciting. But I really disliked Pelphrey....I'll never forget when he tried to trip Jujuan Smith after a 3. That POS is still an assistant in Gainesville

I agree he may have made a difference in the last 3 games esp against Indiana, but tonight they turned the ball over 24 times. Hard to overcome that
Yeah, that was bad, and certainly not typical of an Izzo-coached team. I think Winston had 10 of them, alone.

I'm simply saying that their recent skid has been a result of an injury to a key player, not them being overrated.

Yeah, that was bad, and certainly not typical of an Izzo-coached team. I think Winston had 10 of them, alone.

I'm simply saying that their recent skid has been a result of an injury to a key player, not them being overrated.
They’re definitely not overrated. Big10 is tough... Vols play a game like they did tonight and they could lose any number of B1G games.

Reactions: cncchris33
At 14-8 and beating LSU on the road Arkansas will start to see some tournament talk.

Reactions: The Dog
Nolan was legit... that chaotic full press was always exciting. But I really disliked Pelphrey....I'll never forget when he tried to trip Jujuan Smith after a 3. That POS is still an assistant in Gainesville
40 Minutes of Hell ! Pelphrey's a Mildcat, so eff him

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
They’re definitely not overrated. Big10 is tough... Vols play a game like they did tonight and they could lose any number of B1G games.
Mizzou is the 11th best team in the SEC ... the 11th best team in the B10 is Illinois. Only 2 teams in the B1G have less than 6 losses compared to 4 in the SEC. The B1G is definitely worse overall.

At 14-8 and beating LSU on the road Arkansas will start to see some tournament talk.
Right now, I think the SEC gets 5 teams in the Tourney. Vols, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU and Miss. St. Bama and Arkansas are the potential bubble teams. Maybe Ole Miss, but all 3 need to make a run to have a chance to get in

Glancing at Arkansas' schedule, they should win 6 of their last 9 which would likely put them in tourney contention. I say SEC gets 6 in this year minimum.

Mizzou is the 11th best team in the SEC ... the 11th best team in the B10 is Illinois. Only 2 teams in the B1G have less than 6 losses compared to 4 in the SEC. The B1G is definitely worse overall.
I don't think that proves they're worse. If anything it goes to show how tough the conference is...

They lost one of their best players and are 0-2 since. Not so much overrated as they are adjusting to that loss. They aren't as good without him.

Pretty sure they've also had other players hurt on and off as well. It's been a rough year so far for them in that regard.

They lost one of their best players and are 0-2 since. Not so much overrated as they are adjusting to that loss. They aren't as good without him.

Langford's been out for more than a month; they just recently announced it as season ending. So, they've had time to adjust to playing without him and were having success until the past few games.

Does kenpom update their rankings after every game? I ask because they still have Michigan St (now 18-5) at #4 after losing to Illinois (who is 8-15) and they have us at #5. The records have been updated.

Langford's been out for more than a month; they just recently announced it as season ending. So, they've had time to adjust to playing without him and were having success until the past few games.
True. I knew he had missed more than the 3 games. Didn't realize it had been quite that long, which only further supports the idea that they aren't overrated at full strength. As you said, they have played well at times without him, but have lost some games recently in which he could have been the difference.

Does kenpom update their rankings after every game? I ask because they still have Michigan St (now 18-5) at #4 after losing to Illinois (who is 8-15) and they have us at #5. The records have been updated.
It’s updates like every half hour I think. His rating is efficiency-based not win/loss. If we had been more efficient last night we would have moved ahead of them

VN Store

Back