College Gameday

ESPN should not be allowed on campus. If I could I would not allow them in the state.

This mentality is childish and self-defeating. Like it or not, ESPN is the #1 promoter of college sports BY FAR. Distancing ourselves from ESPN doesn't do any harm to them, but does harm UT.

But yeah, let's pass on the #1 show in college football and all the exposure that brings because we're mad about some of the opinions some of their analysts have put forth in the past. I swear, our fans can be this program's worst enemies at times.

I used to love turning up the TV loud to hear Big & Rich singing "Coming to your City" with the line "Gimme that Rocky Top Tennessee" as orange clad players were slamming someone in the background, then they changed the song and left Tennessee out. And we are still out. Put the Vols back in the opening song and I might be more welcoming to ESPN.
They actually took the Rocky Top line out of the intro because the owner's made them. The Bryant family has the rights to the lyrics/song and the University has an agreement with them to use the song. They have sued others in the past for using just parts of Rocky Top.

To your point though, they could at least put something about Tennessee.

This mentality is childish and self-defeating. Like it or not, ESPN is the #1 promoter of college sports BY FAR. Distancing ourselves from ESPN doesn't do any harm to them, but does harm UT.

But yeah, let's pass on the #1 show in college football and all the exposure that brings because we're mad about some of the opinions some of their analysts have put forth in the past. I swear, our fans can be this program's worst enemies at times.

correct, that's what hurts so much when they ignore us. It's just frustrating but agree we shouldn't ban or not allow them. after all I hear all the time from several teams, commentators, etc that college football is better when Tennessee is relevant.

I understand the sentiment but GameDay is good exposure for recruiting and good recruiting furthers the odds of winning, and the best thing we can do to the haters is win, so they can come on to our city.

Nice to see someone thinking with their brain instead of their “everybody is against us” insecurities.

I used to love turning up the TV loud to hear Big & Rich singing "Coming to your City" with the line "Gimme that Rocky Top Tennessee" as orange clad players were slamming someone in the background, then they changed the song and left Tennessee out. And we are still out. Put the Vols back in the opening song and I might be more welcoming to ESPN.

Whatever you say, Sgt Rock of Easy Company. Do they still print that comic? I used to be a rabid comic book buyer and reader.

Reactions: kcvols1
Do you think Gameday would be in Knoxville if both Tennessee and Kentucky were 7-0 going into their game?

Who else plays that week? I have no clue, but offhand-

I doubt it. Kentucky just doesn't bring the eyeballs or interest Florida does. Face it bro, they are our great white whale and most serious college football fans know that. Look at the ticket resale market. How much are UT-UF tix going for vs UT-UK.

Has GameDay ever been to Lexington? I really don't know. If not and this year's game was in Lex and both teams were 7-0, I think they might very well go there. That's just an academic exercise though.

I just think the ESPN marketing folks could have a field day with all the storylines going into UT-UF.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
No. Knoxville doesn't have the infrastructure to handle college game day. Knoxville pissed off ESPN by putting the volwalk ahead of scaffolding, nets and cameras.

Early 2000's Knoxville hosted GameDay against auburn and had Charles Barkley as the guest host

Knoxville told ESPN they would never be back.

ESPN 20 years later still holds a grudge. I don't blame ESPN and I don't blame East Tennessee.

They try to make money.

No. Knoxville doesn't have the infrastructure to handle college game day. Knoxville pissed off ESPN by putting the volwalk ahead of scaffolding, nets and cameras.

Early 2000's Knoxville hosted GameDay against auburn and had Charles Barkley as the guest host

Knoxville told ESPN they would never be back.

ESPN 20 years later still holds a grudge. I don't blame ESPN and I don't blame East Tennessee.

They try to make money.
Volwalk will always be ahead of Gameday

Reactions: T Clifton
Who else plays that week? I have no clue, but offhand-

I doubt it. Kentucky just doesn't bring the eyeballs or interest Florida does. Face it bro, they are our great white whale and most serious college football fans know that. Look at the ticket resale market. How much are UT-UF tix going for vs UT-UK.

Has GameDay ever been to Lexington? I really don't know. If not and this year's game was in Lex and both teams were 7-0, I think they might very well go there. That's just an academic exercise though.

I just think the ESPN marketing folks could have a field day with all the storylines going into UT-UF.
Oct 29 is pretty solid day for college football with MI/ MI State, Fl/Ga, Penn St/Ohio state, ark/auburn. Like you said doubt kentucky brings interest for gameday.

Reactions: Jeff Clark

VN Store

Back