College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Hard to say since as a freshmen he only DH'd. But, everything I've read said he is leaving because he wants to play the field, which to me implies he doesn't think NC State is going to let him do it. That is usually a sign of someone not great in the field, but I have faith that Tony can fix it if it is a problem.
PG had him ranked 18th in the nation, described him as “plays a high level 3rd base.” I’m worried a little about BB at 1st base. I don’t remember where I saw it, but there’s film out there of him struggling mightily in a showcase setting.

Just remember. All of those upcoming seniors still have leverage because they have a year that they can play after this upcoming year. As long as you have eligibility you have leverage

“All of those upcoming seniors”… 👀👀

1655420838643.gif

(I’m just playing… but yeah, Gilbert, Beck and Tidwell should be able to get paid well, with at least 2 years of eligibility still left.)

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Because it seems to be in the realm of possibility right now, I'd just like to throw out there again that THIS could be our lineup next year:

1. Maui Ahuna SS
2. Jared Dickey LF
3. Paul Skenes C
4. Tommy White 3B
5. Blake Burke 1B
6. Jorel Ortega 2B
7. Christian Moore DH
8. Colby Backus RF
9. Kyle Booker CF

This would just be a completely ridiculous lineup.

I like ahuna leading off. His OBP is ridiculous. Or, with his speed coming out of the left handed hitter's box, hitting second. He'd be hard to double up, and he has some power. Hit 8 homers last year and a bunch of doubles. He'd be a good #2 hitter. If Stevenson comes back, I could see Seth/Ahuna as 1/2 or vice versa.

I like ahuna leading off. His OBP is ridiculous. Or, with his speed coming out of the left handed hitter's box, hitting second. He'd be hard to double up, and he has some power. Hit 8 homers last year and a bunch of doubles. He'd be a good #2 hitter. If Stevenson comes back, I could see Seth/Ahuna as 1/2 or vice versa.

I have a hunch that Seth nor Jorel will be back.

But, hope I'm wrong.

How many transfers will Tennessee realistically land this off season besides Ahuna?

Thanks for any information.

How many transfers will Tennessee realistically land this off season besides Ahuna?

Thanks for any information.
I read an article a few weeks ago where Vitello said 3, maybe 4 transfers.

It’s believed that Skenes and Tommy Tanks are at the top of the list, with Ahuna already in the boat.

Reactions: Volfan1000
They cut it during Covid due to shutting down some minor league teams. It was announced last off-season that it will be 20 rounds going forward.

I’ll be interested to see how the 20 rounds plays out and how effective it is over a larger sample of years. Feels like it could be good, but I’m not sure yet.

It’s good for college baseball, which is what I care most about.

I think it’s just a good thing in general. I don’t think there is any reason to have a 30-40 round draft. It’s probably far more effective to just let anyone outside of the first 20 rounds became an UDFA and sign with a team they want to sign with.

I mean realistically what is the difference in a 21st round draft pick or a 32nd round pick talent wise once you get that far back.

the athletic top 100 prospects:

Top 100 MLB Draft prospects: How high is Kumar Rocker on Keith Law's big board

15. Jordan Beck, OF, Tennessee

Beck has risen up draft boards this spring with a solid, but hardly spectacular, performance, but one that is also supported by tools and athleticism that give scouts reason to believe he can continue to improve in pro ball. Beck has a great build for a hitter, 6-3, 225, with quick wrists and huge raw power that has yet to show up consistently in games, even though he plays in a homer-friendly stadium in Knoxville. He’s very rotational at the plate and has the strength to drive the ball out to all fields, but his approach and pitch recognition have held him back. He’s shown weakness on the outer half, especially on sliders, and expands the zone away too easily. He’s struck out nearly twice as often as he’s walked and hit .252 in regular season SEC play, ranking fourth on the team in homers (16). He’s an above-average runner who plays right field for the Vols because they have a superior defender in center in Drew Gilbert; if he can play center in pro ball, it would substantially add to his value. He’s benefiting from a weak draft class that has left teams looking for upside in unexpected places.

22. Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee

Gilbert was a two-way prospect out of a Minnesota high school but had a strong commitment to Tennessee, so he wasn’t drafted until the hometown Twins took him in the 35th round in 2019. He’s only thrown 16 innings for the Vols, none this spring, but he’s turned into a premium defensive center fielder with a strong eye at the plate and ability to hit for average. Gilbert rarely swings and misses, staying back even through contact, with minimal weight transfer — possibly an avenue for a player development group to try to get another half-grade of power out of him. In center, he’s a 6 defender with a 6 arm, doing it more with reads and instincts than pure speed, as he’s just a tick above average as a runner. The defense and contact skills give him a good chance to be a regular, although there’d have to be something more — more power, greater patience — to make him a star.

33. Blade Tidwell, RHP, Tennessee

Tidwell started the year on the shelf with what the team termed a “significant shoulder injury,” but returned to the mound in late March and made several starts for the Vols, showing the kind of stuff that made him a potential top-10 pick before the shoulder issues. Tidwell has been up to 99 and regularly sits 94-97 with a solid-average slider that’s 81-87, short but often with tight enough break to elicit chases out of the zone. His command and control are both below average, and he’s had more trouble as he’s gone deeper into games, with 10 walks in 17 innings over his last five SEC outings. Tennessee has used Tidwell judiciously, never pushing him past 14 outs, but that also leaves the question of his durability unanswered. If you think he can start, and that the shoulder issue is not serious, he’s a clear first-rounder, maybe even landing in the top half of the round.

Also Kumar Rocker at 34

Here’s a top 500 list. It has Ortega and Joyce in there, but not Lawson or Stevenson. Also includes Halvorsen, but we know he’s coming back. Signees Chase Valentine and Dillon Orr are also just inside the top 500.

2022 MLB Draft - Top 500 Prospects — Prospects Live
Stephenson’s tweet after this season kinda made it seem like he would be back - but I could’ve just been reading too much into it

Last edited:

VN Store

Back