Collectable and Interesting Currency

I have an Iraqi dinar with Saddam Hussein’s picture on it and a silver certificate or 2 tucked away somewhere.
I have some of that Saddam money and a bunch of silver certificates. I will post pix when I find them. Lol

I’ve a passel of foreign coins from the 60s and a few old US coins.

I think that my oldest coin is from the early 1700s. It looks like it could be crushed between my thumb and index finger. I have a few dozen from the 1800s and maybe a hundred newer foreign coins from the 50s, 60s, 80s, and 80s. Wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, and Mercury head dimes are pretty cool and affordable to collect. Wheat pennies were still in circulation not that long ago.

334852_2.jpg

Reactions: malinoisvol
In 1969, when I was in Africa, I flew on the Zambian national airline. They required passengers to pay for drinks and incidentals with Zambian currency. Our guide reminded us of this before boarding. We all exchanged a few dollars for “kwachas.” When we arrived at our destination, no one would exchange our remaining kwachas. The Zambian exchange rate was $1.49/kwacha. They were worthless outside of Zambia. I wish that I still had a kwacha from that trip. It was pretty currency.

Last edited:
I've got some old German paper money. I think it might be from the WW2 era. There's no Nazi stuff on it but it's a variety of denominations from different banks with neat artwork. Also have a bunch of U.S. half cents from throughout the 1800's. Can't remember what the oldest one is.

In 1969, when I was in Africa, I flew on the Zambian national airline. They required passengers to pay for drinks and incidentals with Zambian currency. Our guide reminded us of this before boarding. We all exchanged a few dollars for “kwachas.” When we arrived at our destination, no one would exchange our remaining kwachas. The Zambian exchange rate was $1.49/kwacha. They were worthless outside of Zambia. I wish that I still had a kwacha from that trip. It was pretty currency.

Sounds like kwacha is Zambian for gotcha.

My next door neighbors when I was a young un had some Confederate dollars. They also had one of those concrete lawn jockeys.

I have a bill from Antarctica with a penguin on it. I think it is practically worthless though lol.

Attachments

• Antarctica1-2015-2up-store.png
    Antarctica1-2015-2up-store.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
I know it's not money, but I found this when going through family items when I was working on family history for me and the wife. It was in such good shape.

img240.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Iraqi dinar with Saddam Hussein’s picture on it and a silver certificate or 2 tucked away somewhere.
I have a dinar too. I was at Piccadilly with my parents one time when i was a little kid, a guy started talking to us and he pulled out his wallet and gave it to me. He had just recently got home from serving there in the Gulf War.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back