Collectable and Interesting Currency

I’ve a passel of foreign coins from the 60s and a few old US coins.
I think that my oldest coin is from the early 1700s. It looks like it could be crushed between my thumb and index finger. I have a few dozen from the 1800s and maybe a hundred newer foreign coins from the 50s, 60s, 80s, and 80s. Wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, and Mercury head dimes are pretty cool and affordable to collect. Wheat pennies were still in circulation not that long ago.

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
In 1969, when I was in Africa, I flew on the Zambian national airline. They required passengers to pay for drinks and incidentals with Zambian currency. Our guide reminded us of this before boarding. We all exchanged a few dollars for “kwachas.” When we arrived at our destination, no one would exchange our remaining kwachas. The Zambian exchange rate was $1.49/kwacha. They were worthless outside of Zambia. I wish that I still had a kwacha from that trip. It was pretty currency.

Last edited:

Hurley Mooncalf

Not Poobah Material
I've got some old German paper money. I think it might be from the WW2 era. There's no Nazi stuff on it but it's a variety of denominations from different banks with neat artwork. Also have a bunch of U.S. half cents from throughout the 1800's. Can't remember what the oldest one is.

Plano Vol

In 1969, when I was in Africa, I flew on the Zambian national airline. They required passengers to pay for drinks and incidentals with Zambian currency. Our guide reminded us of this before boarding. We all exchanged a few dollars for “kwachas.” When we arrived at our destination, no one would exchange our remaining kwachas. The Zambian exchange rate was $1.49/kwacha. They were worthless outside of Zambia. I wish that I still had a kwacha from that trip. It was pretty currency.
Sounds like kwacha is Zambian for gotcha.

VN Store

Sponsors