Coach's Reaction To Oklahoma Opening

I think at the end of the day. Even if Heupel was considered for OU he gives White an opportunity to match their offer. I think the appeal of coaching OU is offset with having to deal with some of the same people involved in him being hired.
I think your last word was meant to be fired. That's the dilemna,imo. Hiring Heupel back after firing him would be a bad look and something the top dogs at OU won't ever consider. He has great resources in K-Town and no reason he can't mold UT into an annual contender. If recruiting suffers or not up to standards he'll simply utilize the portal to strike a balance. He's definitely trending up and I can't see him leaving for awhile.

I think your last word was meant to be fired. That's the dilemna,imo. Hiring Heupel back after firing him would be a bad look and something the top dogs at OU won't ever consider. He has great resources in K-Town and no reason he can't mold UT into an annual contender. If recruiting suffers or not up to standards he'll simply utilize the portal to strike a balance. He's definitely trending up and I can't see him leaving for awhile.
Yeah idk if fat fingers or autocorrect or combo of both got me there.

Reactions: tbones0711
BTW, if Beamer and Venables decline, Heupel becomes a tier 1 target
Not why Bob Stoops is breathing and CJH wouldn't stand for the micro-managing that would follow. OU may as well re-hire Stoops because any knowledgeable candidate is well aware of the situation. OU is trending down and have painted themselves into a corner and on top of that going to join the SEC. Good Luck with a new hire.

What do people expect these coaches to say? "Yes I'm seriously considering taking another job". :rolleyes:
The only person I can remotely doing something similar was when Bobby Petrino webt down to Auburn about the job when Tommy Tuberville was still there. It was a mess and if I remember correctly Tubbs had his best season at Auburn. So Petrino and i think the boosters name Bobby Lauder or something like that had egg on their face.

Smokey mountains or tornado alley?!!! For many people there is more to life than cash.
Who couldn't live comfortably on his salary?

I could if my wife would tear up the credit card

The Tennessee coach joined the “Erik Ainge Show” on Tuesday and was asked about the job opening in Norman.

“You know, as you build a successful program with your staff and players, certainly your name has an opportunity to come up for different openings,” Heupel said. “Just for myself and my family, we absolutely love Knoxville, and we came to Tennessee because of the power of the T. I believed in the power of the fan base and the opportunity to build something extremely special.

“It’s a program that’s top 10 in the history of college football in wins and first-round draft picks and has been through some uncertainty in recent times, but we love being in Knoxville. That’s home for us. I love being in the building with our staff and our players, and I now feel stronger today than I did 10 months ago when I first took the job about what we’re going to be able to do and how quickly we’re going to be able to get there.

“I know we’re building a championship-caliber football team and program, and excited to continue on that venture with our current players and staff.”

Heupel led the Vols to a 7-5 record in his first year at the helm with a bowl left yet to play.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Reactions: tbones0711
The big thing you guys are missing here is what ainge said to somebody on Twitter after the interview. He didn’t request Heupel to come on to the radio show, but Heupel asked him if he could. That is huge IMO because it shows that our coach cares and wants to tell everyone how much he loves Tennessee. It’d be different if ainge called and asked him to come on, but Heupel himself requested to.

It doesn't. It doesn't show that. That's projection. Nothing in that call was atypical of any coach who's doing the "I love it here, my family loves it here" speech for the fans.

What that call shows is that Heupel wanted to message to the fanbase that everything was fine, because a happy fanbase is easier to recruit with than a disgruntled fanbase. Now why do you think he did that? Because of "how much he loves Tennessee"? Come on, you have to think about this. That's not practical. What's a practical reason? It's recruiting.

Let's look at this from a practical standpoint. If Heupel is rumored to be looking at OU, then it could hurt Tennessee's recruiting during a critical signing period - and that recruiting is already trying to get past those NCAA sanction rumors they're stuck with. Both Heupel and Tennessee need those rumors squashed because right now his job is being the head coach at Tennessee. If he's not under consideration at OU, then he especially needs those rumors squashed.

Basically, OU's job came open, the collective Tennessee fan base began to hyperventilate, and Danny White (and other people in the UTAD) probably started getting a lot of upfront and backchannel inquiries asking about the risk of losing Heupel. So they arranged the appearance to help settle people down. They know how skittish Tennessee fans are. It's not in either of their best interests for Tennessee fans to pulling fire alarms about OU - even if OU might be considering Heupel for the job.

And look, maybe Heupel does like it here. Maybe he even does love it here, as he said. That does NOT mean they're somehow "in love" with Tennessee and never want to leave. Anyone who hears that is not listening to what Heupel actually said. Coaching is a business. You can love any place if the number is right.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I have said before that I think Josh is way down the list at OU. Not that he would do a bad job, but I think that he has to prove more with Tennessee before OU will take a serious look at him. The fans still hold him in high regard, but are skeptical of him as a top tier coach right now. They see what Scott Frost has done at Nebraska, what they got when hiring OU alum John Blake 25 years ago, and are pretty gun shy. Joe C and Bob Stoops are still there and that probably is a pretty big hurdle for Josh to want to deal with.

My hope is that Josh is at UT for 25 years and wins at least a couple of NC there. UT deserves it and I think Josh could be the guy that ultimately gets it done.

Reactions: General Jack
I don't think he will leave, partly because OU will hire someone else. Also can someone show me anywhere in the article where he states I will not be leaving Tennessee for another job. All I see him talk about is how he loves Tennessee and the process of building a program and how good the fans are he never stated he would not leave Tennessee.

Reactions: powerTvol
The big thing you guys are missing here is what ainge said to somebody on Twitter after the interview. He didn’t request Heupel to come on to the radio show, but Heupel asked him if he could. That is huge IMO because it shows that our coach cares and wants to tell everyone how much he loves Tennessee. It’d be different if ainge called and asked him to come on, but Heupel himself requested to.

This is great to point out but I would ask whether Heupel has proactively reached before? If so this might not be as notable.

If reaching out to get on the radio is out of character then it speaks volumes. Saying "I'm committed" when asked is one thing... proactively reaching out to create a false narrative is something entirely different. I don't think Heupel is the kind of man to be that disingenuous.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I imagine his loyalty to UT is about the same as our loyalty is to him. One poor season or a loss to someone like Georgia Southern and fans will be saying to fire him with cause.
I don’t see Oklahoma offering him but in the future if someone makes him a big offer I would expect him to ask UT to bump up his contract to be comparable. And that would be fair IMO.

Valid argument with coaches like Dooley, Butch or Pruitt. However, its hard to imagine a Heupel team playing at a level capable of losing games like that. We've been battered with momma's boys, snake oil salesmen, and frankly, a dude that just wasn't very bright. Heupel is much higher caliber.

Could he be a victim of his own success one day? I hope so... and I also hope we remember 2010-2020 when reacting to a down year.

Report is Mark Stoops is signing an extension thru 2027, I guess he's out of the running. OU writers are saying CJH is not getting any consideration after getting fired. Dave Aranda still hasn't signed his extension as far as I have heard. I guess it's between him and Venables.

After actually listening to what he said... He left just enough room for his agent to still negotiate for a raise and extension. It doesn't sound like he intends to be anywhere but UT next fall.

After actually listening to what he said... He left just enough room for his agent to still negotiate for a raise and extension. It doesn't sound like he intends to be anywhere but UT next fall.
He should get a raise!

VN Store

Back