Coaching Search Thread

Incompetent? That may be the case, but the reason isn't because of Greg Marshall. Bama is going to offer him probably close to $4mil+/yr, but even then I'm not sure he takes it. Let's face it, Bama has the financial ability to do something like this while Tennessee IS NOWHERE CLOSE to being in a financial position to do that right now. And keep the "the big money boosters will pony up money" or "we have SEC network money" blah, blah, blah to yourself because that doesn't help TN for the immediate future (Bama $$$ reserves = $80-100 million vs. TN $$$ reserves = $2-5million). Tennessee cannot win a bidding war with Alabama right now, let's be real.

I'd say the incompetence of the administration is a big reason why the money hasn't been provided.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd say the incompetence of the administration is a big reason why the money hasn't been provided.

Hart did say in his presser the other day that giving had been VERY good lately (maybe even close to record levels), but that can't all go into paying coaches salaries. Therefore, it doesn't seem like booster think they are too incompetent if giving is that good.

John Feinstein says if we are smart we will hire Barnes. He was pretty critical of Patterson (TX AD). It was a short session on the radio.

Reactions: 1 person
wow. how is that even possible as a mistake?

your're stoopidity is not onlie evadant en you're spalling end grammer butt also in you're logicism

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with tvolsfan's ideas here. To be honest I usually don't even look at user names when I'm reading threads. I just like hearing people's thoughts on UT sports. Posts like this one are pretty silly, though, and don't add much to the discussion at hand. I can't believe people still use typos as a way to try to criticize and ridicule others.

To offer one possibility, this mistake can easily occur if you're on your phone using a Swype-style of keyboard, and I've done it many times. You stop just a little short of the "w" and the keyboard incorrectly guesses that you were trying to say "hour."

Anyway... Go Vols! Let's find us a great coach!

Any idea how long it will be before we name a new coach? It's only been 3 days and I'm exhausted. Just ready to know who I'm going to support, even if it isn't one of my top choices.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with tvolsfan's ideas here. To be honest I usually don't even look at user names when I'm reading threads. I just like hearing people's thoughts on UT sports. Posts like this one are pretty silly, though, and don't add much to the discussion at hand. I can't believe people still use typos as a way to try to criticize and ridicule others.

To offer one possibility, this mistake can easily occur if you're on your phone using a Swype-style of keyboard, and I've done it many times. You stop just a little short of the "w" and the keyboard incorrectly guesses that you were trying to say "hour."

Anyway... Go Vols! Let's find us a great coach!

Fine whatever about the misspelling but if you bothered reading my post through instead of posting your knee-jerk response to the grammatical critique then you'd see I was also criticizing the logic as well: Alabama hires "Marashall" = our AD is incompetent. No auto-correct or swype-spelling can account for that blunder.

Fine whatever about the misspelling but if you bothered reading my post through instead of posting your knee-jerk response to the grammatical critique then you'd see I was also criticizing the logic as well: Alabama hires "Marashall" = our AD is incompetent. No auto-correct or swype-spelling can account for that blunder.

Actually I read your post through several times before posting my knee-jerk response. It's quite clear you disagreed with his logic. The point I was making is that you can disagree respectfully.

Tiping liek this two maek him look stoopid isnt' verry respactfull. But I'm not the forum police or anything, you can behave however you want. I just thought it was worth pointing out, that's all. Seriously, no hostility or ill will intended, sir. :hi: Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people

Pretty sure a school with a weaker program hiring a significantly better coach would reflect poorly on our AD.

Bring in the best recruiter possible. Kentucky is showing us how to win and it's not by bringing in a brilliant strategist or some defensive guru...it's getting the elite players to come to your school, even if it is just for 1 year. Sure Cal knows the game, but I remember he was considered a weak in-game coach while at Memphis, but he could recruit the top talent and that covered up his deficiencies as a strategist. If you want to win championships then you find a slimey recruiter who can steal kids of Kentucky...that's easier said than done, but John Cal is not some once-in-a-generation coach, he just figured out the formula to win.

Any idea how long it will be before we name a new coach? It's only been 3 days and I'm exhausted. Just ready to know who I'm going to support, even if it isn't one of my top choices.

Never underestimate the hitman Hart. He had Tyndall hired 3 hours after White turned him down. Lol

A three good game stretch doesn't excuse two and a half years of underacheivement with a top 3 SEC roster talent.

That article (and quote) specifically talks about Cuonzo's 3 year record (3rd best record in SEC over FULL 3 years) - not any 3 games.

Someone can tell me if this rumor is off-base, but don't a good bit of coaches go to the Final Four for the weekend to meet up with other coaches? Could be a good place to discuss contracts and such.

With our roster, most of the close rosters were inexcusable. Martin will get no sympathy because he vastly underachieved with a decent roster in a two team league.

That roster had mediocrity written all over it. It takes depth. We had none. Especially on the inside. Two cheap calls on Stokes or Maymon and we could be taken by any team with a decent inside player. It also takes a coach time to get his system ingrained. Three years is not that long for the process. Once ingrained, i.e. the last third of the season, the team played beautiful basketball. The defense was fantastic (3 or 4 shot clock violations a game); ball movement was great and the offense was finally taking good shots; they pushed the ball when it was there, and didn't force when it wasn't. They scrapped. In fact, everything Cuonzo had claimed he wanted to do when he was hired.

That roster had mediocrity written all over it. It takes depth. We had none. Especially on the inside. Two cheap calls on Stokes or Maymon and we could be taken by any team with a decent inside player. It also takes a coach time to get his system ingrained. Three years is not that long for the process. Once ingrained, i.e. the last third of the season, the team played beautiful basketball. The defense was fantastic (3 or 4 shot clock violations a game); ball movement was great and the offense was finally taking good shots; they pushed the ball when it was there, and didn't force when it wasn't. They scrapped. In fact, everything Cuonzo had claimed he wanted to do when he was hired.

LMAO
Cuonzo quit posting.

Reactions: 2 people
Y'all are going to love him when he brings in a top 5 recruiting class and hate him when that class never gets past the second round of the tournament. Just how it's been with Rick since 2008. We'll see if it changes here.

You didn't go through the other two basketball and three football coaching searches did you... :)

Y'all are going to love him when he brings in a top 5 recruiting class and hate him when that class never gets past the second round of the tournament. Just how it's been with Rick since 2008. We'll see if it changes here.

I'm hoping he starts his career here like he did at Texas, then retires before hitting the slump

He'll bring "stability" or whatever Hart was asking for. I'm just hoping his ceiling is higher than it was the last few years.

VN Store

Back