Coaching/program dicussion (split from recruiting thread)

What's changed?

A jump-shot is still a jump shot
Ball handling is ball handling.
layups are layups.

If "this AAU coach" works with premier college talent, he would only expect better results, less time taken in learning new drills. He would expect a 70+% instead of 40+%. He would expect you to go from BL to layup in 3 dribbles instead of 4-5. He would expect your no-ball BL to layup to be within .15 seconds of your with-ball BL to layup.

Dude, you don't speak for all AAU coaches, just as I don't speak for all of them. . . . But we both speak for some of them.

Expectations are great and I hold my players to them as well, but expectations and application are two different things entirely. The way you describe it then you should be able to walk out there and get any athlete to that level and that's just not accurate.

has she beaten any of those coaches as a hc?

She has beaten Tara and Dawn......She definitely has room to improve but we also have a lot of room to go down if we run off a Lady Vol legend that has a 70% winning percentage and 3 elite eights in four yrs. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side, every coach on that list has much more head coaching experience than Holly has at this point.

Volbeast33,are you content with 70 percent wins? And your coach comparison of first four years,how many of the other coaches spent thirty years learning under a legend before becoming head coach? A legend who,by the way,won about 85 percent of her games.

Reactions: 2 people
Expectations are great and I hold my players to them as well, but expectations and application are two different things entirely. The way you describe it then you should be able to walk out there and get any athlete to that level and that's just not accurate.

Meme is anything but "any athlete".

Tell you what, VB, this city has about 250,000 Metro, and you seem to be a man of contacts...Find me one girl with a good athletic body, decent size, a good mind and the ambition to be aa Lady Vol,,,, preferably a HS Junior, and let's get this set up. . . I will train her FREE for the entire summer and work alongside her this winter.

I am more than willing to be tested.

Reactions: 1 person
Volbeast33,are you content with 70 percent wins? And your coach comparison of first four years,how many of the other coaches spent thirty years learning under a legend before becoming head coach? A legend who,by the way,won about 85 percent of her games.

No im not but I also know that Holly's biggest fault is she is not Pat Summit. Holly won 76% of her games so far and had three elite eight finishes. She has areas that definitely need to approve in.

Meme is anything but "any athlete".

Tell you what, VB, this city has about 250,000 Metro, and you seem to be a man of contacts...Find me one girl with a good athletic body, decent size, a good mind and the ambition to be aa Lady Vol,,,, preferably a HS Junior, and let's get this set up. . . I will train her FREE for the entire summer and work alongside her this winter.

I am more than willing to be tested.

Im not really sure who that player would be but I would love to give it a go. That would be awesome to see what you can do.

Im not really sure who that player would be but I would love to give it a go. That would be awesome to see what you can do.

I may get your help with gyms. I have access to a partial court and a rec center. . .

Anyone know this girl?

I know many people cite Holly's record and wonderful achievement of reaching the Elite 8..... I remember Gene Bartow replacing John Wooden.... He was 52 and 9..... and went deep into NCAAs for a couple of yrs.... didn't make him a great coach tho.... Like Holly, he was given the keys to a Cadillac in wonderful running condition.... as opposed to a Pinto.... ( am dating myself!)..... I look at Scott R of Oregon St... with no (maybe 1) McD AA players.... and had to assemble team and coach them up by putting an ad in the student paper at Oregon St 6 years ago to get players..... has seemed to be successful developing his players.... want to attend his practices to see what his recipe for success is

Reactions: 4 people
I know many people cite Holly's record and wonderful achievement of reaching the Elite 8..... I remember Gene Bartow replacing John Wooden.... He was 52 and 9..... and went deep into NCAAs for a couple of yrs.... didn't make him a great coach tho.... Like Holly, he was given the keys to a Cadillac in wonderful running condition.... as opposed to a Pinto.... ( am dating myself!)..... I look at Scott R of Oregon St... with no (maybe 1) McD AA players.... and had to assemble team and coach them up by putting an ad in the student paper at Oregon St 6 years ago to get players..... has seemed to be successful developing his players.... want to attend his practices to see what his recipe for success is

The recipe for success... Have the right vision for the current combination of talent, then train them to do what you envision. . . Every team is different. By proxy, every offense and defense you run will be too. You adjust to what you have, build on it and teach them how to win.

Simple recipe, hard to get the ingredients right tho.

Last edited:
Exactly, posters took it and ran with it....it was clear the poster wanted to get us riled up with the "FACT" our coaches were refusing to accommodate a top recruit....any poster with common sense would think/know that wouldn't be the case with ANY college coach that's trying to recruit a top player!

Holly's track record has 'Loser' written all over it. Of course some posters will be agitated, doubtful, sceptics with a bad case of hollyItis -we're sick of the Lady Vol program being in complete shambles in the hands of CHW. :crazy:

Here is Holly in her first four yrs versus other great coaches during the same four yr period:

Holly Brenda F Jeff W. Kim M. Dawn S.
Elite Eight Sweet 16 Runner up sweet 16 2nd round
Sweet 16 final 4 elite 8 elite 8 sweet 16
elite 8 final 4 sweet 16 elite 8 final 4
elite 8 2nd round 2nd round elite 8 sweet 16

Tara V
sweet 16
final 4
sweet 16
elite 8

There is only one coach that Holly does not compare favorably with and that is Geno. Does she have things she needs to improve on? Of course as do most coaches. I am not sold on her but she is no where close to the horrible representative of this university that most of our fans make her out to be. This yrs signing class is huge for her future here at UT.
Did you forget about Muffet? Over that same 4-year time period, she has

FF
Runner-up
Runner-up
Sweet 16

That certainly beats 3 EE and a sweet 16. And to be truthful, I think Mulkey has been eliminated by better competition than Warlick, so even though they have the same NCAA track record of 3 EE and a Sweet 16 over the past 4 years, Mulkey has been eliminated by:
Louisville (5)
Notre Dame (1)
Notre Dame (1)
Oregon St. (2)

Tennessee has been eliminated by:
Louisville (5)
Maryland (4)
Maryland (1)
Syracuse (4)

Reactions: 4 people
Did you forget about Muffet? Over that same 4-year time period, she has

FF
Runner-up
Runner-up
Sweet 16

That certainly beats 3 EE and a sweet 16. And to be truthful, I think Mulkey has been eliminated by better competition than Warlick, so even though they have the same NCAA track record of 3 EE and a Sweet 16 over the past 4 years, Mulkey has been eliminated by:
Louisville (5)
Notre Dame (1)
Notre Dame (1)
Oregon St. (2)

Tennessee has been eliminated by:
Louisville (5)
Maryland (4)
Maryland (1)
Syracuse (4)

Your point??

Your point??
I'm sorry. I was trying to be clear. I was responding to the comment I quoted. The poster volbeast stated that Holly's NCAA tournament record since she took over the Lady Vols was as good as every other WCBB coach but Geno (which I bolded). I figured that the poster had forgotten about Muffet's tournament record, which has been better than Holly's.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sorry. I was trying to be clear. I was responding to the comment I quoted. The poster volbeast stated that Holly's NCAA tournament record since she took over the Lady Vols was as good as every other WCBB coach but Geno (which I bolded). I figured that the poster had forgotten about Muffet's tournament record, which has been better than Holly's.

Other programs just don't factor in to how our program is doing. It has to be within our conference only and our team only that comparison's are made... Apples to apples...You just simply can't compare programs to other conference's programs. It just simply doesn't work. ((( A non-elite program can have an unheard of recruiting class. (For instance: ETSU could get three McD AA's... To them it would be the greatest recruiting class in their and maybe their conference's history, but to us it would be a "better year"))) ... To be fair, you have to judge a program against it's own history... And historically, CHW just set multiple records for lackluster performances. And now, her decisions for the team are proven to be influenced by this site's postings. . . She will either turn it around this year or she will prove, those who question her ability to lead (NOT her ability to contribute as an assistant).

VN Store

Back