Coachery

What better way to learn on the job than during probation?
I don't disagree at all, and have even suggested that....but I see somebody like Chadwell, who is already an HC though at a lower level, being a more logical hire for on the job training during this period. He at least has a strong track-record of building programs and winning. Elliott has a shorter track record of being a successful OC at an established power.

We could certainly do worse, but that is no reason to settle at this point. There were stated criteria ahead of the search, and a sitting HC was one of them.

I don't disagree at all, and have even suggested that....but I see somebody like Chadwell, who is already an HC though at a lower level, being a more logical hire for on the job training during this period. He at least has a strong track-record of building programs and winning. Elliott has a shorter track record of being a successful OC at an established power.

We could certainly do worse, but that is no reason to settle at this point. There were stated criteria ahead of the search, and a sitting HC was one of them.
Yeah I think Napier or Chadwell have more relevant experience in that they’ve actually done it somewhere. An Elliot hire means 6th choice for me.

FWIW:

My best friend works in athletic department at Va. Tech. He says Danny White was a homerun hire. He says folks in Blacksburg are hoping Tennessee does not hire Tony Elliott because he is target # 1 should Fuentes get fired. Also says that Herndon Hooker can play and that pairing him with Tony Elliott would be a dynamic combo. Finally, called us arrogant and delusional for thinking we can do better than Elliott. He says inside athletic departments in the ACC that Tony Elliott is considered the next big time head coach and his highly respected.
Not sure I look to Blacksburg for football advice. Their current choice got whipped by Butch Jones. We did the whole coordinator who looks great coaching a roster full of 5* and that didn't really work out

Yeah I think Napier or Chadwell have more relevant experience in that they’ve actually done it somewhere. An Elliot hire means 6th choice for me.
I'd like to see Chadwell given three to four years, with no pressure or expectations, to recruit to and establish his system. He seems to do more with less. We need that ability, especially during the potential NCAA penalties we may face. He's young, and could very well fit the stated of goal of someone to be here for a decade or more.

While not my first choice, he ticks a lot of the boxes for me. I have come to the conclusion, in my mind at least, that he could be the next big thing in the SEC if given the time and opportunity.

Chadwell strikes me as the type of coach who can get the most out of the talent he has, aka development. I can only guess that if given the resources and access to better talent he would do quite well. When looking at post Fulmer hires we had a guy with a losing record in the NFL, a losing record at some sh!t school in Louisiana, a guy who 100% rode the coattails of the previous coach (Brian Kelly) and who had a wife who makes a killer chip dip, and then a hot head knuckle dragger with zero head coaching experience who thought asparagus was a venereal disease..

So we have already done worse than Chadwell.

I'd like to see Chadwell given three to four years, with no pressure or expectations, to recruit to and establish his system. He seems to do more with less. We need that ability, especially during the potential NCAA penalties we may face. He's young, and could very well fit the stated of goal of someone to be here for a decade or more.

While not my first choice, he ticks a lot of the boxes for me. I have come to the conclusion, in my mind at least, that he could be the next big thing in the SEC if given the time and opportunity.
I think you and I agree then! I feel weird. Lol jk

Chadwell strikes me as the type of coach who can get the most out of the talent he has, aka development. I can only guess that if given the resources and access to better talent he would do quite well. When looking at post Fulmer hires we had a guy with a losing record in the NFL, a losing record at some sh!t school in Louisiana, a guy who 100% rode the coattails of the previous coach (Brian Kelly) and who had a wife who makes a killer chip dip, and then a hot head knuckle dragger with zero head coaching experience who thought asparagus was a venereal disease..

So we have already done worse than Chadwell.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie...

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Well Elliott was the Broyles Award winner given to the top assistant coach in college football. He has stayed longer than 3 years at one location. With that stay, he would be considered part of a staff that built a program. He would be hired back if we were lucky enough to get him to Knoxville unlike Pruitt at any of his stops. He has been considered for an NFL job. He has been considered for more than one job before being pursued by UT. I will not go into the integrity type stuff because that is subjective.

Without considering they are/were coordinators, please name 2 things that make Elliott equal to Pruitt?

Similarities:
1. They've both been on national championship teams UNDER a successful head coach.
2. Neither one has (had) ever been a head coach
3. Even after 3 years as a head coach for Pruitt, neither won has ever won a significant victory as a head coach

Here are some differences:
1. Pruitt had significant experience in the SEC before being hired and worked on several top football program staffs. Elliott has basically nothing outside Clemson
2. Pruitt was the highest paid coach on Nick Saban's staff when we hired him, Elliott is not, not even close to Venables money, so he isn't even the most valuable/coveted staff member of his own team

The only reason anyone thinks this is an upgrade is because we have the benefit of hindsight knowing how terrible Pruitt was as a head coach. But I see ZERO evidence that this wouldn't turn into Pruitt 2.0

Last edited:
If Tony Elliott really is the best we can do, taking a risk on another coordinator with no HC experience, then we overpaid greatly for Danny White.
Idk. It’s like the reputation of this place has been urinated on and set on fire by the previous ADs. Going to take a bit to repair things. Deck was pretty stacked against White on this hire.

Idk. It’s like the reputation of this place has been urinated on and set on fire by the previous ADs. Going to take a bit to repair things. Deck was pretty stacked against White on this hire.
But there are very successful HC's who would take this job...they just may not be P5.

But you don't pay Danny White 2 million bucks unless you KNOW he's got a head coach in his back pocket that will change things at UT.

What I worry about the absolute most is that White is gonna give some coordinator or DII coach 6 million bucks a year when Fulmer could have hired them for 3.5. The point of spending money is to get a coach worthy of that money and not be the New York Yankees and give someone a huge payday just to prove you can spend money and are "taking things seriously"

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

If Danny White can't sell UT to Napier or Chadwell, then why did we make him the second highest paid AD in the country?

I've warmed up to Elliot. All it took was mentioning Sonny Dykes name.

LOL, in all seriousness, Elliot has a lot of redeeming qualities.

1. He's young. At age 41 he would be the 2nd youngest HC in the SEC behind Clark Lea at Vandy. Generally with youth comes energy and fresh philosophies, something that many young recruits are looking for, especially on the offensive side.

2. Clemson's ascension into a current college football elite has coincided with Elliot being named OC (or Co-OC if you want to get technical). Not to say they weren't good before. They were, but they couldn't seem to get over that hump into national title contention until Elliot's first year as OC. Could just be a coincidence, but many around the Clemson program give Elliot a lot of credit for them being where they are now.

3. He's a great recruiter and is a Broyles award winner. I know, I know, the same was said about Pruitt, but in fairness to Pruitt, he did recruit well, he was just terrible as a game management coach.

4. He has been with a Clemson a pretty long time, learning under Dabo, unlike Pruitt who was basically a hired gun as a DC for several coaches. I like the fact that he has been loyal and hasn't tried to jump ship for more money elsewhere.

5. While it shouldn't matter, I do believe the fact that he would be the first AA head coach at TN is a big deal. We would be media darlings for hiring an AA HC. I also believe that will be a crucial selling point to some current AA players in the portal and to AA recruits going forward.

Maybe but if he is forced to settle for less than his top 3 he'll make up for it by surrounding the new coach with highly-rated coordinators and position coaches.

But you don't pay Danny White 2 million bucks unless you KNOW he's got a head coach in his back pocket that will change things at UT.

What I worry about the absolute most is that White is gonna give some coordinator or DII coach 6 million bucks a year when Fulmer could have hired them for 3.5. The point of spending money is to get a coach worthy of that money and not be the New York Yankees and give someone a huge payday just to prove you can spend money and are "taking things seriously"
Agreed. That is 100% what's about to happen.

Point deduction for the Yankees dig though.

VN Store

Back