Coachery

Hopefully he announces this afternoon so all this speculation can stop. People are getting worried right now over a bunch of speculation. I believe this is already done. I believe the search firm reached out to a bunch of people just to kick the tires, the press has checked with a bunch of coaches to see if they were contacted and that is what you are hearing from the press and others. I think all of this is speculation on where people think UT is going. I am patient up to the end of the week, then will be worried.

If you can get Lane Kiffin or Jamey Chadwell which I believe both would come here in a heartbeat and trot out Tony Elliott then you didn't hire the best coach possible. Because both of them would come and both would be much higher than Elliott on most people's lists.

Similarities:
1. They've both been on national championship teams UNDER a successful head coach.
2. Neither one has (had) ever been a head coach
3. Even after 3 years as a head coach for Pruitt, neither won has ever won a significant victory as a head coach

You asked for accomplishments in your earlier post about Elliott, and I provided. Do you consider the similarities above accomplishments?

I don’t have anything useful this morning, and I’m hesitant to speculate given how pitched things seem to be around here. My friend said that signing a coach prior to late signing day/Spring practice will cause problems for the school that gets left. Trying to take staff etc is a particularly delicate thing given that it is still a reputation business. It sounds like they’re trying to get those details sorted. He still thinks the team will hear today, but he has no information on time etc. It remains almost impossible to get any details right now. I apologize if I created inaccurate expectation on timing. I assume they’ll be a team meeting today followed by a presser, but frankly I can’t get anything solid right now.

I hope we dont end up with elliot he could be a good hire but i dont think he is ready at all....His Co OC Jeff Scott at Clemson from 15-19 went 1 and 8 at south florida this year.

And? Matt Campbell is pretty number 1 on everyone's list and he went 3-9 his 1st season at Iowa State.

Jamey Chadwell was a combined 8-16 just 6 months ago.

Reactions: Exiled
We've tried assistant coaches and it's been a nightmare. We've tried sitting head coaches...and it's been a nightmare. I don't get all the resistance to TE? Looks like a roll of the dice either way. Sure, give me Campbell or the like. But we are in a pretty rough place. Let's get it done, get behind the coach, and who knows? Maybe we aren't here playing this game in 3 years...or maybe we are. Life goes on either way.

I don’t have anything useful this morning, and I’m hesitant to speculate given how pitched things seem to be around here. My friend said that signing a coach prior to late signing day/Spring practice will cause problems for the school that gets left. Trying to take staff etc is a particularly delicate thing given that it is still a reputation business. It sounds like they’re trying to get those details sorted. He still thinks the team will hear today, but he has no information on time etc. It remains almost impossible to get any details right now. I apologize if I created inaccurate expectation on timing. I assume they’ll be a team meeting today followed by a presser, but frankly I can’t get anything solid right now.
Apologize for nothing.

No. You asked me for 2 things that made Elliott the equal of Pruitt and I over-delivered and have given you 2 things that actually made Pruitt a more justifiable/better hire.

The similarities only prove that both coaching hires were equally risky and that both men have accomplished basically the same thing.

Well, Pruitt has one major accomplishment that Elliott doesn't have yet. Bilking a gullible/vulnerable UT out of millions of dollars.

So it is a current college head coach.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
And? Matt Campbell is pretty number 1 on everyone's list and he went 3-9 his 1st season at Iowa State.

Jamey Chadwell was a combined 8-16 just 6 months ago.
He took a previous 4-8 south florida team to 1-8 Matt Campbell took a 3-9 team and stayed 3-9 before improving.

Here’s some confirmation on Franklin deal from Callahan, which fell apart. You’ll see it’s consistent with the deal terms etc that I mentioned before. My friend says there barrier was always the investigation unknowns, but I assume they countered too. Don’t know.

“Tennessee offered Franklin pretty big money. His current salary is $5.5 million per year, and it’s safe to say Tennessee’s discussions with him involved a salary at least in the $7 million to $8 million range. We’ve heard more about it possibly being $8 million a year, although I can’t say for certain that that’s accurate.”

Don't apologize. You cut your teeth with the Pruitt/Fulmer/Investigation intel, and it was dead on. People are going to misquote you and say you weren't spot on with second to third hand information, as if you're standing next to the AD all day long. Regardless of when it's announced, I've appreciated the info you've shared as it came to you.

I've warmed up to Elliot. All it took was mentioning Sonny Dykes name.

LOL, in all seriousness, Elliot has a lot of redeeming qualities.

1. He's young. At age 41 he would be the 2nd youngest HC in the SEC behind Clark Lea at Vandy. Generally with youth comes energy and fresh philosophies, something that many young recruits are looking for, especially on the offensive side.

2. Clemson's ascension into a current college football elite has coincided with Elliot being named OC (or Co-OC if you want to get technical). Not to say they weren't good before. They were, but they couldn't seem to get over that hump into national title contention until Elliot's first year as OC. Could just be a coincidence, but many around the Clemson program give Elliot a lot of credit for them being where they are now.

3. He's a great recruiter and is a Broyles award winner. I know, I know, the same was said about Pruitt, but in fairness to Pruitt, he did recruit well, he was just terrible as a game management coach.

4. He has been with a Clemson a pretty long time, learning under Dabo, unlike Pruitt who was basically a hired gun as a DC for several coaches. I like the fact that he has been loyal and hasn't tried to jump ship for more money elsewhere.

5. While it shouldn't matter, I do believe the fact that he would be the first AA head coach at TN is a big deal. We would be media darlings for hiring an AA HC. I also believe that will be a crucial selling point to some current AA players in the portal and to AA recruits going forward.

I don’t want UT to hire a coach because he’s AA. I could care less if he’s Chinese or Russian. At this point UT needs a known commodity as HC and not some hot name OC that may or may not ever produce as a HC.

Here’s some confirmation on Franklin deal from Callahan, which fell apart. You’ll see it’s consistent with the deal terms etc that I mentioned before. My friend says there barrier was always the investigation unknowns, but I assume they countered too. Don’t know.

“Tennessee offered Franklin pretty big money. His current salary is $5.5 million per year, and it’s safe to say Tennessee’s discussions with him involved a salary at least in the $7 million to $8 million range. We’ve heard more about it possibly being $8 million a year, although I can’t say for certain that that’s accurate.”
You must be pretty dang sure of yourself if you're turning away $8 million. That, or these NCAA sanctions are going to be even worse than we can imagine--you know they have a pretty solid idea of what we're looking at.

He took a previous 4-8 south florida team to 1-8 Matt Campbell took a 3-9 team and stayed 3-9 before improving.

Would you like more examples of good coaches who struggles in the 1st year, even worse than the coach they were replacing? Because there are plenty of those examples too.

Chadwell took over a 10-2 team and went 3-9. Any response to that one?

Scott took over a pretty awful USF team when a pandemic hit that ended pretty much all spring preparation. Not only that, but it's widely accepted that Elliot is the one calling the plays, despite the title of Co-OC, so what happens with Scott is honestly irrelevant.

Which is why admitting to the sanctions in public was an idiotic idea. It would have been much easier in the long run to pay Pruitt out and start fresh with a new coach. The NCAA has never shown any rhyme or reason to their punishments and cooperating may not do anything to soften the blow. We have shot ourselves in the foot yet again with stupidity. Not only is our program a train wreck, we now have the NCAA hovering over us. It is comical.

Then we’re left hiring a fired coach (Herman, Malzahn) a coordinator (Elliot) or NFL guy. A Sitting p5 coach is probably off the table. My opinion of course. Not putting words in your mouth.

Would you like more examples of good coaches who struggles in the 1st year, even worse than the coach they were replacing? Because there are plenty of those examples too.

Chadwell took over a 10-2 team and went 3-9. Any response to that one?

Scott took over a pretty awful USF team when a pandemic hit that ended pretty much all spring preparation. Not only that, but it's widely accepted that Elliot is the one calling the plays, despite the title of Co-OC, so what happens with Scott is honestly irrelevant.
You can choose to look the other way.... Just like tee was really calling the plays at USC ....until he wasn't.. We could both be right....we could both be wrong. The fact is hes been a OC on his own for 1 or 2 years in a conference where the talent he has far outweighs that of the teams they are playing. Clemson obviously thinks higher of brent than tony also.

Reactions: CaliVol2009

VN Store

Back