Coachery

I saw this afternoon you said we they reached terms with our new coach. What would be the reason for no announcement after both parties have reached terms? The details can and are finalized in these deals by lawyers and agents after terms are agreed upon. So why would UT in the position we are in needing to catch up with the portal, rally the team, hire a staff, and recruit for 2022 delay in the announcement?

Coach is clearing Covid protocols.

The last two coaching searches proved pretty conclusively that no one here knows a thing. Yet here we go again. Soon, right? Lmao

We’ll find out when ESPN or another major network tells us. That’s not as exciting as latching on to the larp insiders, but much more realistic.

Honest question: if Dykes' time at Cal simply didn't exist, would that change the way Vol fans view him? Obviously can't ignore it totally, but 44-29 at LT and SMU sounds alot better than some.

To clarify: I don't want Dykes', just trying to think things through

If we’re looking at Dykes and OC’s, why not Bill O’Brien? He has experience as a P5 HC at a top program in turmoil.

Is it because he’s a flight risk to the NFL? Presumably he’d need to do well here to make that happen.

History has shown that after a year or two at Bama he’ll be a candidate for top jobs. Look at that drunk Sark going to Texas.

I only want the best for UT, I have been a fan for as long as I can remember and I'm 60 but for the last 15 years the powers that be have done nothing but made fools out of our program as a whole. Now that it appears we have the Administration and money in place to go top shelf for once instead of bargain basement and paying a premium price for it and nobody other than also rans want to have anything to do with us. Going for the low hanging fruit has got us where we are and it appears no ladder will be need to pick from this crop either.

Honest question: if Dykes' time at Cal simply didn't exist, would that change the way Vol fans view him? Obviously can't ignore it totally, but 44-29 at LT and SMU sounds alot better than some.

Nope

It's difficult, if not impossible, to connect all the dots at this point...but taking into account the posts of SF; the other credible posters here; and the (very few) credible media folks, it appears that our #1 choice may have said "no". This is admittedly an assumption.

Mind you, this search is unlike any search we've conducted before, so no assumptions based on previous searches can be safely made here. It may be that the real #1 is still in play. But if...if...DW's first choice has turned us down, then where does UT turn now?

Oh...we're less than a week into the "Search of the Century", so let's try to keep things in perspective here, huh? The next HFC at UT is going to have some tricky ground to navigate, including potential NCAA sanctions that have yet to be determined or announced. And then, of course, there's UGA, UF, and Bama to deal with on an annual basis. Translation: the next UT head football coach is going to have to really want to be here. The money, large though it may be, ain't worth ruining your career over.

So Howsabout we relax...take a deep breath...relax...and let the chips fall where they may. We have an AD unlike anything we've had since Dickey. He has a record of hiring winners. So let's give him the chance to get the best coach he can. We know he can't get Saban, or Dabo, or Day. And it may turn out that his first, second, or even third choice looks at the current state of UT Football and says "No, thank you." It is what it is. But when it all plays out, I do think that AD White will lay it all on the line, and bring home the very best coach he could find, and land.

At this point, that's all we can ask. AD White didn't put UT Football in the shitter. We hired him to get it out of the crapper, and back to relevance in the SEC. And eventually, on the national level. His track record says he can do it. We have to believe that he will.

There's more than one football coach out there who can bring the Vols back. He only has to find one of them. I think he will. It might not be the obvious, most popular, sexiest, coolest, or most prominent choice...but he will bring a winner to Knoxville. Soon enough to make the '21 season salvageable.

If you're a VFL, then you line up behind the man who is spending every waking moment trying to bring home a winner for UT. And you.

Go Vols.

Dinardo-Saban, Hackett-Carroll, Harris-Harbaugh, Nutt-Freeze, Caldwell-Franklin. We already hit on Stoops. Probably a reason three of those guys have been heavily discussed here.

Good list. Not all (or even most) of those programs were in as bad shape as Tennessee (for example, look at some of the dudes Dinardo left Saban...it's impressive)...but the point I think that can be made here is, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some of these guys were coordinators. Some were college head coaches. One was an FCS head coach. One was a mid-major head coach.

There isn't a formula. This is why it's important to have an AD who can recognize coaching talent before anyone else does. Anyone can recognize Bob Stoops' ability now. But how many knew in 1998 that he'd make a legendary head coach who would restore a broken OU program to glory? Or that Jim Harbaugh would go from coaching in the Pioneer League to making Stanford great? Or that an OC at Maryland named James Franklin would give Vanderbilt its best years since (???) and then restore Penn State to prominence?

We paid a lot of money for this AD. Let's hope he has the ability to recognize a great future head coach before it's obvious to the rest of us. Because that's his job, not ours.

I mean, there’s hundreds of coaches that are good if you remove the bad.

But there likely are coaches that would have otherwise been very successful after initial failure, if given the chance.

Elliott likely thinks he knows how to be a good HC at this level. Dykes likely thinks he knows too, just like before. One has proven to think they know but not at a level that was a failure. Is that incriminating?

I’m going to give you my best read on this based on a good deal of inference. Im not getting this from my friend or his sources, but I’m connecting dots. I think we made a big offer to Franklin or Campbell last night. I think it got very close, but probably didn’t happen. That deal has been in the works for weeks. I believe it failed due to investigation.

I believe they flew to a neutral location today, met three candidates, and settled on one.

My friend has talked about Elliot and his relationships to players and coaches here since we hired DW. I think DW has a high degree of comfort with him. That said, I think boosters and and chancellor prefer an HC. That may have pushed us to choice 3.

I believe my friend that we have a deal. I believe we missed on 1. I genuinely hope it’s 2, and they bent to let him hire a coordinator. If we get to 3, I don’t like the choice I’ve heard, but they are current HC’s.
This is all conjecture.
But the other day you said there were two top candidates and if #1 said no, then the fallback would get the offer and say yes. So now you’re saying there was the big guy at 1 and he said no, so we met with 3 others today? I’m not calling you out or anything, but I’m confused as to what happened to candidate #2? And if Elliott was #2, then you’re telling me that DW is that inept that he didn’t have a 3rd or 4th option? Which at this point I’m not sure I’m buying this because everyone and their mother says DW is not inept. I also find it hard to believe that his #2 was Elliott. That doesn’t fit any pattern in terms of what public comments have been made by both him and the leadership.

I think they would hire Steele before Dykes. That is what VolQuest was alluding to.

Steele probably is a better option than Dykes, but it we paid Danny White what we are paying him, to come here and hire Steele as the HC, then we're going to look like the biggest fools in all of CFB.

But the other day you said there were two top candidates and if #1 said no, then the fallback would get the offer and say yes. So now you’re saying there was the big guy at 1 and he said no, so we met with 3 others today? I’m not calling you out or anything, but I’m confused as to what happened to candidate #2? And if Elliott was #2, then you’re telling me that DW is that inept that he didn’t have a 3rd or 4th option? Which at this point I’m not sure I’m buying this because everyone and their mother says DW is not inept. I also find it hard to believe that his #2 was Elliott. That doesn’t fit any pattern in terms of what public comments have been made by both him and the leadership.

He’s LARPing. He’s Jon Snow.

Steele probably is a better option than Dykes, but it we paid Danny White what we are paying him, to come here and hire Steele as the HC, then we're going to look like the biggest fools in all of CFB.
If Steele is our best option we have ran completely out of options.

VN Store

Back