Coachery

Do you mind explaining something that doesn’t reveal your source, but at least helps explain how he/she is credible? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I want to believe you yet I also don’t know if we can. Does this person work in the athletic department? Friends with someone? Maybe play backgammon with someone’s grandma? Ya know, the usual back alley source?
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. My friend is a neighbor to a staff member, and provides professional services to that staff member and one other. He isn’t normally privy to internal squabbles and messes, but is hearing an earful since before Thanksgiving. At this point, I don’t think any of this is confidential. I think the wheels are coming off, and everyone is talking about it. I just seem to get the news a day or two earlier.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. My friend is a neighbor to a staff member, and provides professional services to that staff member and one other. He isn’t normally privy to internal squabbles and messes, but is hearing an earful since before Thanksgiving. At this point, I don’t think any of this is confidential. I think the wheels are coming off, and everyone is talking about it. I just seem to get the news a day or two earlier.
You did, I overlooked it, but I appreciate you clearing it up for me!

Reactions: De La Cloobs
Keep the info coming, So far you have come closer to the truth of what's happening than any one else including the so called insiders.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Pruitt wants to hire Turner for OL. Will present LOI for approval to AD. It will be interesting to see if he can do a deal.

Pruitt wants to hire Turner for OL. Will present LOI for approval to AD. It will be interesting to see if he can do a deal.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this guy supposedly one of the worst OL coaches available? I’m assuming you mean Turner who was just let go from the Bengals and has a nice, troubled past.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this guy supposedly one of the worst OL coaches available? I’m assuming you mean Turner who was just let go from the Bengals and has a nice, troubled past.
This guy created a slide show at A&M to "educate females on the game of football" for hundreds of women and several slides had some very obvious sexual innuendos. Sumlin suspended him for a couple of weeks.

Any more word on Russ Callaway? At this point, he would be an upgrade as QB coach. Any rumblings about Muschamp or Steele being interviewed?
I don’t have any new good info. My friend doesn’t have good info. His neighbor who is on the staff has no good info. Prior to the holidays Pruitt had latitude to interview people, and had Fulmer’s support to present LOI deals for review. As recently as a week ago, Fulmer worked the phones to assure parents that Pruitt is/will be the coach. Right now, Fulmer is going to work and sitting in the AD office. Pruitt is going to work and sitting in the HC office. The assistants are going to work. None of them can take action. My friend thinks based on conversations (does not know) that everything hinges on proof regarding Pruitt’s knowledge of/and endorsement of Nieds and other coaches paying benefits to HS coaches, parents, and prospects, and in some instances doing so through the team. If the team did it, that’s clear loss of institutional control, and fostering an environment of cheating. That would be the end of JP. Neither the Chancellor nor Boyd are going to intervene and do anything that could be seen as either influencing the outcome of the investigation or meddling to gain outcomes in Pruitt’s deal. So, it’s trench warfare for now. (More inferred heard, but not validated) Friend left for more reasons than the quality of his coaching or his desire for a new job. He was the closest to Pruitt, but was not going to be on the wrong side of an investigation. (Opinion from my friend with professional knowledge of NCAA in the next section) The administration can’t cut a deal without knowing the magnitude of the infractions. They can’t be seen to buy silence, can’t pursue an NDA or non-disparagement clause from a negotiated deal with Pruitt. Boyd and the Chancellor are going to do this by the book. The best we can hope for is that there is some preliminary understanding of the facts of the investigation that allow them to break with Pruitt or hunker down. The most interesting thing my friend said is that Fulmer is “currently irrelevant, an audience member, and a non-factor”. His political sway upward or downward, are not being heard given the current state of affairs. This is all being handled by the grownups, and out of sight of the AD and down.

What I don't understand is the fact that if the media and several insiders are saying this is not going to end well for Pruitt so why on earth is Fulmer trying to convince everybody otherwise. I know it is his job to keep everyone calm and on the same page but if it goes the other way how will he look then. Stubborn pride got him gone the first time and you would think he would have learned but by his standing by Pruitt at all cost it shows otherwise. If he is going to stay then why not make a public statement saying he is the man and the investigation is just normal house cleaning and it is expected to end with minimal effect. If I were in the position to advise a son about his potential future in football then I wouldn't think the current situation is in their best interest.

What I don't understand is the fact that if the media and several insiders are saying this is not going to end well for Pruitt so why on earth is Fulmer trying to convince everybody otherwise. I know it is his job to keep everyone calm and on the same page but if it goes the other way how will he look then. Stubborn pride got him gone the first time and you would think he would have learned but by his standing by Pruitt at all cost it shows otherwise. If he is going to stay then why not make a public statement saying he is the man and the investigation is just normal house cleaning and it is expected to end with minimal effect. If I were in the position to advise a son about his potential future in football then I wouldn't think the current situation is in their best interest.
Fulmer has taken on the role of Baghdad Bob.

Fulmer has taken on the role of Baghdad Bob.

A continuous state of denial is not what we need at this point but what do I know, I'm just a fan that sees things from the outside looking in.

If Fulmer hadn't gave him the extension, the university might could have fired him at the end of the season, instead of having to go down this burn it all down route.

I don’t have any new good info. My friend doesn’t have good info. His neighbor who is on the staff has no good info. Prior to the holidays Pruitt had latitude to interview people, and had Fulmer’s support to present LOI deals for review. As recently as a week ago, Fulmer worked the phones to assure parents that Pruitt is/will be the coach. Right now, Fulmer is going to work and sitting in the AD office. Pruitt is going to work and sitting in the HC office. The assistants are going to work. None of them can take action. My friend thinks based on conversations (does not know) that everything hinges on proof regarding Pruitt’s knowledge of/and endorsement of Nieds and other coaches paying benefits to HS coaches, parents, and prospects, and in some instances doing so through the team. If the team did it, that’s clear loss of institutional control, and fostering an environment of cheating. That would be the end of JP. Neither the Chancellor nor Boyd are going to intervene and do anything that could be seen as either influencing the outcome of the investigation or meddling to gain outcomes in Pruitt’s deal. So, it’s trench warfare for now. (More inferred heard, but not validated) Friend left for more reasons than the quality of his coaching or his desire for a new job. He was the closest to Pruitt, but was not going to be on the wrong side of an investigation. (Opinion from my friend with professional knowledge of NCAA in the next section) The administration can’t cut a deal without knowing the magnitude of the infractions. They can’t be seen to buy silence, can’t pursue an NDA or non-disparagement clause from a negotiated deal with Pruitt. Boyd and the Chancellor are going to do this by the book. The best we can hope for is that there is some preliminary understanding of the facts of the investigation that allow them to break with Pruitt or hunker down. The most interesting thing my friend said is that Fulmer is “currently irrelevant, an audience member, and a non-factor”. His political sway upward or downward, are not being heard given the current state of affairs. This is all being handled by the grownups, and out of sight of the AD and down.

You’re the only “insider” I trust at this point

Can someone please give me a reasonable excuse for keeping this charade up, I just don't understand big time athletics anymore I guess.

I get the feeling he’s trying to buy time. That’s just a guess though. Hard to know what he’s saying on those calls.

Reactions: thistime
Assuming nothing changes in the interim, Pruitt will be interviewed Tuesday and Wednesday of next week by the outside firm. After that, they’ll have his account on record and can determine if his story is consistent with other testimony, and the records they’ve gathered. Inconsistent testimony from Pruitt would be a big deal, institutional knowledge of major infractions by Pruitt would be a big deal, lack of control of staff would be a big deal. I assume the administration will understand the chess board after that.

It’s sad this will probably drag for another 5 days when the man is screwed either way he answers... at this point just mercy fire him with a drastically reduced buyout. Any person would take 2 million to get away at this point.

It’s sad this will probably drag for another 5 days when the man is screwed either way he answers... at this point just mercy fire him with a drastically reduced buyout. Any person would take 2 million to get away at this point.
I have to disagree here. I don't feel bad for him in any way. If he's innocent he either keeps his job and goes into 2021 knowing it'll probably be his last, or he'll be fired. Either way, in this scenario, he walks away a pretty rich man ($12 million is the last number I saw).
If he isn't innocent, then he doesn't deserve a penny. He cheated and deserves the punishment of both humiliation and an empty wallet.

Reactions: volkayaker
I have to disagree here. I don't feel bad for him in any way. If he's innocent he either keeps his job and goes into 2021 knowing it'll probably be his last, or he'll be fired. Either way, in this scenario, he walks away a pretty rich man ($12 million is the last number I saw).
If he isn't innocent, then he doesn't deserve a penny. He cheated and deserves the punishment of both humiliation and an empty wallet.
Rather fatalistic view but your entitled to that opinion. I just don’t like it getting to the point of getting enough to terminate for cause because in the end you’re (the university) shooting yourself in the nuts as well. You want to push Pruitt off the proverbial cliff but ensuring you’re not going off with him.

I get the feeling he’s trying to buy time. That’s just a guess though. Hard to know what he’s saying on those calls.
I'm assuming that Fulmer still doesn't know if Pruitt will be back next year.
Whether he's back or not, Fulmer doesn't want to lose good players.
He's probably saying "Pruitt has my support" and "give us more time to get this settled".

Rather fatalistic view but your entitled to that opinion. I just don’t like it getting to the point of getting enough to terminate for cause because in the end you’re (the university) shooting yourself in the nuts as well. You want to push Pruitt off the proverbial cliff but ensuring you’re not going off with him.
Fair assessment. But I feel the university has already shot itself in the nuts. Pruitt is, at this point, Damned if he Does and Damned if he Doesn’t. We’re getting to the point where all the good assistants will either be taken elsewhere or won’t think twice about coming here in this environment. So if he is safe, then he’s not going to be able to find the right person to correct the issues, which will put us (and him) in a terrible situation going into 2021.
If he isn’t safe, I believe the university has already drawn this out so long that no one of substance will want to come here—unless Jeff Fisher’s recently revealed comments can be taken as truth. But aside from that, the next realistic hire—if he is fired—is going to be another Dooley-esq hire and we’ll be right back in this boat within 2-3 years.

VN Store

Back