Coachery

Reading doesn't bump it up, only comments do.

Well obviously but In years past a post with any kind of “insider” has gone off the rails while this time in not sure people even been lurking too much with the title coachery while everything else has a head man as the thread title. Also glad fumbles has only came to this tread with it

I have no scoop on Eliliot, and nothing new on the search. I don’t think he’s our first choice. Neither Freeze nor Chadwell will be interviewed or hired.
You made most people in here happy by not listing Kiffin in that last sentence

I don’t know anything about hiring coaches. I haven’t heard anything on Kiffin being in or out. I think he’s a little too much of a wild card for White’s collaborative style. That’s my unqualified opinion. I’ve heard for a week that we have our guy, and that he’s impressive. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll assume something went off the rails.
Is there a coach you like?

I still believe it will be a current HC for some reason......maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I don’t know much about Elliott, but is there a chance White is talking to him to see if he’s interested in OC position. From the rumblings it sounds like White has his eyes on his target for HC. Maybe White is reaching out to people the HC would want on staff to help finish the transaction?? This would lessen chance of leaks then the target reaching out to people.

He's making 1.6 million as OC at Clemson. He's offensively guided them to two National Championships.

He deserves a shot as a Head Coach at this point. He's at a top 3 program as an OC. Why would he take a step back??

Reactions: CobbVol
I don’t know anything about hiring coaches. I haven’t heard anything on Kiffin being in or out. I think he’s a little too much of a wild card for White’s collaborative style. That’s my unqualified opinion. I’ve heard for a week that we have our guy, and that he’s impressive. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll assume something went off the rails.

Everything points away from it being Kiffin. It appears to be pointing toward Elliott or Campbell.

Some highlights from yesterday as conveyed by a friend. As always, take it with a grain of salt. I’m sure certain things were lost in translation. Some of this is even third or fourth hand, but all in the family. Everyone was told White likes keeping schedules and confidentiality. Yesterday they had a schedule, and kept none of it. They did a little better with confidentiality. Flight was late getting him. Sat on the ground for an hour waiting for fog. Bogged down with meeting the boosters at TYS airport. Bogged down meeting boosters before press conference. Bogged down by boondoggle at AD office. Barnes was a hit there, introducing himself as a “guy who works here”. Barnes got sodas for his kids and toured them around, and wouldn’t give them back. The older son is in high school, and it sounds like Barnes tried to rescue him from a miserable day. I’ve gotta say that Barnes has been more important in all this than you’d imagine. He’s been all class in talking about Fulmer. He’s highly supportive of the hire, and has been a PR machine for the school. White was reeling from all the chaos. Expected to have a quick quiet meeting with Steele and players, and there were people everywhere. He barely got out of the office to make the players meeting. Barnes was still hitting him with one-liners all the way out apparently, the best being the observation that Danny is “better looking than his brother”. Met players. This meeting was private. Prior to the meeting they were given an app, and then asked to vote on team leaders. There was supposed to be a second meeting with leaders, but that will now be tomorrow. Only highlights I heard were that White told them he worked for them now. He was going to work hard for them so they can focus on being a team. By the time White left, his (alleged) conversation with Elliott already leaked after having instructed everyone on confidentiality. I don’t know if he did talk to Elliott. White knows and trusts Elliott. Elliott knows Steele. Elliott was also an inch from being the UCF head coach. If he did talk to him, I’m not sure I read this as Elliott being an option, but I assume it’s possible. It would not follow anything I’ve heard in the past about the search. Subsequently they’ve brought on a firm to handle logistics, and try to protect confidentiality. The search firm was not hired for searching. While the day was chaotic, don’t read this as a messy political process. It’s not. Boyd and Plowman are handling this like professionals. They’re going to give White the space he needs to succeed. White did not take this job to boot lick boosters. It’s his plan, and it’ll be his hire. Boyd is herding cats on the booster front. He has a lot more sway than is being portrayed. He has money ready, and he’s set up a playing field for White to succeed. There is a contingent of boosters that is strongly connected to PF and the Pruitt hire who were not included in any of the conversations of the last three weeks. A new contingent of boosters has provided the support for hiring White and giving him cover to make the hire without having to talk to boosters. I get the feeling White had no idea just what he was getting into. While he knows this is “a great place”, he doesn’t know much about that great place, and was pretty overwhelmed. My friend’s impression is the same at the end of the day: We still have a target. We’re working on that target. We’ll like that target. He gets the feeling that White will have a plan, a message and a support structure before dropping a coach into the circus. He’s going to get this right. He believes support structure is essential. He’ll have a plan. Here are a few interesting observations: White is two things at once. He is a top level AD. The best. Not homegrown. That said, his dad is friends with Archie. They knew each other in New Orleans. Danny is friends with Eli from Ole Miss days. Kevin is close with Cutcliffe. Plowman knows Frost who loves White. This hire was made by smart people who are tired of watching people screw this up. Boyd is on the case. While this was a National candidate, it has the backing of key UT family. Plowman is on the case. White is on the case. They are a team. This is not the typical political backstabbing operation. They are tight. I think everything is going to progressively get quieter over the next few days. I realize everything I’ve written above is color commentary. I don’t have a coach prediction. I don’t know that I’ll have one before the hire. I thought there’d be more information day to day since that has been the case for the last few months. It may go the opposite way.

Your guy is absolutely correct about Boyd. Like I said in a previous post, I am positive that there won’t be any leaks about what coach is being interviewed. Any leaks will be after a decision is made.

Reactions: kcvols1
Reactions: MocVol
We finally have a REAL AD, let him do his job.DW, please don't listen to any of us wanna be coaches and hire the guy YOU believe is the best fit. I'm a firm believer if anyone is going to lose their job, lose it by doing what you believe in not others.GBO
White doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who let's other people's opinion dissuade him from following his instincts. Based on the presser, this hire is completely on him, for good or ill, and he appears to want it that way. It's almost strange to have an AD that makes me feel like he knows what he's doing.

White doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who let's other people's opinion dissuade him from following his instincts. Based on the presser, this hire is completely on him, for good or ill, and he appears to want it that way. It's almost strange to have an AD that makes me feel like he knows what he's doing.
I agree. He is not about the past. He is about the future. A breath of fresh air.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I don’t know where the previous head coaching experience reports came from. I thought AtlantaVol said it. White clearly said everyone was a candidate.

Can he speak English?
Probably. As a side note, Tom Landry had a masters in industrial engineering and I think he brought an increased a use of statistics into the game. He did pretty well.

I just thought of another advantage. He can do the math in his head to know when we should go for a two point conversion.

Last edited:
With hindsight I have this question now...I wonder why Fulmer saw Pruitt as a superior candidate to Kevin Steele or Mel Tucker? I can't imagine Pruitt interviewed all that well.

Did Phil perhaps see some of himself in Pruitt? It's interesting he didn't choose Steele given that Steele is an alum and an old friend.

I think maybe Fulmer never learned the management lesson about always hiring people smarter than yourself until you are the dumbest guy in the room letting them make you look like a genius.

I think maybe Fulmer never learned the management lesson about always hiring people smarter than yourself until you are the dumbest guy in the room letting them make you look like a genius.

Despite the “icon” status that Tennessee gives Fulmer, he is an ******* in reality. He definitely likes to “big time” people and thinks he is the smartest person in the room.

Despite the “icon” status that Tennessee gives Fulmer, he is an ******* in reality. He definitely likes to “big time” people and thinks he is the smartest person in the room.
That lines up with what some friends have said who have had encounters with him.

Yeah, leave a perennial natty-contending program for here? why?
Because you just lost TL and you know the guy that follows makes a bunch of mistakes and the offense will suffer, while at UT you can double the output in your sleep

VN Store

Back