Coach Mike Leach

In fairness, Butch did beat UGA twice after his first season. We’re not even coming close to beating mediocre teams now.

I think you missed the mark with "we aren't even coming close to beating mediocre teams now."

So Ga State is a mediocre team?

Hell we can't even beat the janitorial staff at Arkansas and that's a mediocre team.

Who has even heard of the Sun Belt Conference until Ga State took us to school in our own stadium...

Leach’s predecessor at Texas Tech, Spike Dykes, won a conference title there. Mike Price won 2 conference titles at Washington State before Leach arrived. Leach won 0 at both schools combined, yet he’s hailed as a genius, when two non-geniuses out-championshiped him 3 to 0.

Regarding Mullen, “our fan base” is a broad term. I’d have loved to have hired Mullen, but I never believed he’d choose Tennessee over Florida given a) his history there and b) their roster was in much better shape. I know a lot of other UT fans also would’ve loved to have Mullen.

But Mullen isn’t the topic. Leach is. And he’s overrated. Has been for a long time.

Texas A&M went 6-0-1 in 1994 but was ineligible for the SWC title. 5 teams that finished behind them then shared the conference title. That's how Spike Dykes won a conference title there, as part of a 5 way tie in an 8 team league where one team wasn't even eligible. That team was 4-3 in the SWC. Mike Price won his championships years before Leach arrived after he'd been there for 9 years before he won it. He managed to get hired by Alabama because of his success at Washington State. His hooker problem overshadowed his career.

Leach played in the Big 12, not the SWC. He also arrived there after Bob Stoops got Oklahoma back, Mack Brown got Texas in NC form, and Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Nebraska were very good teams.

Your argument against Leach is the same one people used against Mullen. Except Leach actually beat Brown at Texas when they were ranked #1 in the nation and he beat Bob Stoops too. I really have no idea why you would want Mullen but be critical of Leach when their career arcs are virtually mirrors but with less success for Mullen on the field.

Reactions: VolMax
In his first year at the helm, MSU took UGA to the wire last night. Not only that, but MSU looked better than or as good as UGA is every aspect of the game other than the deep ball, which is the only reason UGA won.

UT had Leach lined up, and not taking him was an AD blunder. I am not calling for Pruitt to be fired this year, but if UT flops next year he needs to go by mid season.

I don't see how UT could get Leach now that he is at MSU, but whoever pulled the plug on that deal really dropped the ball. It's Pruitt's 3rd year and UT is still on the bottom. When Leach has been at MSU for 3 years, they will be competing for the SEC West. Mark my word.
You are high he didn’t work the first time in the conference as offensive coordinator at Kentucky and it won’t work this time. It is fun to watch but that’s it he never did much at his last two stops scored some point was never a real threat to win anything but a bowl game

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Texas A&M went 6-0-1 in 1994 but was ineligible for the SWC title. 5 teams that finished behind them then shared the conference title. That's how Spike Dykes won a conference title there, as part of a 5 way tie in an 8 team league where one team wasn't even eligible. That team was 4-3 in the SWC. Mike Price won his championships years before Leach arrived after he'd been there for 9 years before he won it. He managed to get hired by Alabama because of his success at Washington State. His hooker problem overshadowed his career.

Leach played in the Big 12, not the SWC. He also arrived there after Bob Stoops got Oklahoma back, Mack Brown got Texas in NC form, and Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Nebraska were very good teams.

Your argument against Leach is the same one people used against Mullen. Except Leach actually beat Brown at Texas when they were ranked #1 in the nation and he beat Bob Stoops too. I really have no idea why you would want Mullen but be critical of Leach when their career arcs are virtually mirrors but with less success for Mullen on the field.

I didn’t make the same argument against Mullen, so you’re setting up a straw man. Mullen was at Mississippi State for 9 seasons and in the SEC. The SEC West, no less. Leach spent 20 years in the Big 12 and PAC 10/12 at programs that are capable of winning those weak leagues (because just about any program is).

They’re not analogous. At all.

Reactions: Remy
Imagine how much better we'd be if Fulmer had allowed Pruitt to hire Freeze as his OC. Rarely do folks get second chances. Freeze is right there for the taking. Question is...will we have the resources and the balls to make the change? Rhetorical. We all know UT won't be bold and go big. We'll have cornbread back next year and suffer through yet another miserable football season.

Freeze would have been good, however, Chaney has a proven good track record of success. I believe our offensive scheme and who plays qb is all on Pruitt. So it would not matter who the oc is Pruitt is going to run the offense as well as the defense.

Reactions: davethevol
Once but “they were in prevent” even tho they weren’t. Subtle moving around in the pocket are a thing.

They did have a good rush on Bailey, but he got rid of the ball quickly, a couple of completions jg would have been sacked on. Our ol is playing good, just have a statue for a qb in jg most of the time.

Mullen is in year 12 with 0. You have to use context of where you're coaching at, where the program came from and where the coach took it. It's extremely hard to win conference titles at schools like Washington State, Texas Tech and Miss State. They are always going to be in the bottom half or even bottom 1/3rd of their conference in recruiting.

Texas Tech has shared two conference titles between 1956 when they joined the SWC and 2020. Washington State has 4 conference titles of any kind since they started playing football in 1894. Mississippi State has 1 SEC title in 1941. That's the only championship of any kind in school history. They are the worst program in the history of the conference. Mullen is showing how dumb our fanbase is when they didn't want him because he wasn't winning the SEC or beating Saban. He was still succeeding there at extremely high levels for them, just like Leach did as WSU and Texas Tech.

He would have easily been the most successful coach we'd hired since Majors.

Totally right. It's like Saban going to Vandy to coach, how many sec titles you think he would have won there? Or Nc?

VN Store

Back