Coach Kellie Harper fired

I know some people scoff at the thought, but if we offer Becky 3 or 4 million, she'll take it! NBA never got serious about her, and the WNBA will only allow her to make so much money. Might as well try.

Reactions: brittannica
I hope a new coach is NOT announced this week. That could possibly mean that Dawn Staley or Wes Moore are in play for the position (because their teams are still in play, literally.)

I have not always been a DS fan. But I have recently seen her interact with fans at the Men's SC basketball games and they love her. She is obviously a winner. She and the SC AD are NOT big buddies to say the least. It would take some $$ to get her (somewhere north of $4M I guess (??), but that's the decision to be made for having a women's program of significance again. The problem with this big $$ is always that your other sports' coaches are impacted by that, and by the fact that women's programs are almost always a losing financial proposition (as it is even at SC.)

As for Wes, I had heard before that he was not interested in the LV position last time, but I also heard from a friend (that PROBABLY would know) this past week that he was very interested last time, so I'm not certain what to think on that. But he also is a very successful coach. I watched many of his games at UTC. And he's a great guy.

I wish we would make one or both of them tell us NO, but I really wish one of them would say YES!

Great post, I think DS is one of the few modern coaches who can have a women’s program that turns a profit. Especially at a school like UT that still has a fan base that is dying to support a winning tradition again.

Man it would be fun to have Vic, just don’t see him leaving Texas though. He’s a Texan, they like to live and die there.

Coaching at the flagship Texas school is the next best thing to being God, at least in Texas. He's a made man for as long as he's wearing that burnt orange shirt. Absolute royalty. There's definitely no amount of money that could pry him out of there - or that Texas couldn't match if they thought he was worth keeping.

People can't have it both ways. They either want the coaching change, or they wanted to keep the recruiting and the currently engaged recruits. Can't have both. Especially for those who have been arguing for the change, there's no room for them to lose their nerve now. It's all or nothing.
I just wanted a better roster it didn’t matter who the coach was for me.

Coaching at the flagship Texas school is the next best thing to being God, at least in Texas. He's a made man for as long as he's wearing that burnt orange shirt. Absolute royalty. There's definitely no amount of money that could pry him out of there - or that Texas couldn't match if they thought he was worth keeping.

I agree.

Reactions: Voltopia
Do you think Fulmer should’ve kept Holly because Jordan Horston was waiting in the wings?

If Nyla was on next years roster, then you (maybe) you consider being Kellie back. I think we’ll be fine. And if we’re not, I’ll circle back and say you you’re right.

While I’d hate to lose her, I really think we’ll be fine.
No

You know this is what you wanted, I hope we are better off now. I'm not against it but the grass ain't always greener on the other side. I'm actually nervous that this hire will be underwhelming.
Actually, I had no issues saying I was wrong had Kellie turned the corner. So here we are and we will be better for it as a program.

Wow! I know people on this board like to trash MMC but she would not have published that detail if not verified.

Jon could have done something else and I think the Harper family could have eked by on Kellie's million plus a year salary.

Kellie, sorry, you blew it......

Do you think Fulmer should’ve kept Holly because Jordan Horston was waiting in the wings?

If Nyla was on next years roster, then you (maybe) you consider being Kellie back. I think we’ll be fine. And if we’re not, I’ll circle back and say you you’re right.

While I’d hate to lose her, I really think we’ll be fine.
We won’t know about next years team until we hear who the coach is and if they have elite players that are coming, if they don’t have the players we won’t be good next year.

Reactions: glv98

Yeah, sorry, got a little pushy there. I lived in that town for over a decade, I know exactly what kind of power being a Longhorn wields in that town - and man is it something. Not dissimilar from Knoxville or any other big sports town, but, just, the money. So much money.

I like Harper, we all wanted her to succeed, it may have been a tough decision--but at the end of the day over the course
of 5 years she did not move the program forward enough. She moved the needle a bit--but given the state of the program
when she took over, it needed to be moved significantly, and she couldn't do it. Our high-school recruiting was terrible--that alone
was enough to put her on the hot seat--and really by far the best thing she and her staff did in 5 years was land Jackson as a transfer. Our talent base from high-school recruiting was very weak--and so we needed transfers just to be competitive--forget good. Except for the LSU win last year in the SEC tourney, we could never beat any good opponents. The standard needs to be: make us a national competitor again. That's the only standard we should have for a coach with our 8 national titles. Coming in 4th in the SEC and losing almost every game we play against a top 20 team is not good enough, and so we will turn to someone else.

Yeah, sorry, got a little pushy there. I lived in that town for over a decade, I know exactly what kind of power being a Longhorn wields in that town - and man is it something. Not dissimilar from Knoxville or any other big sports town, but, just, the money. So much money.

lol you’re good, I wasn’t bothered. I just agree.

It doesn’t matter much for me who the coach is, only if they have the players they can bring, because it looks like we will miss out on the portal this year and have no future recruits coming in.
I'm trying to keep faith that Danny White knows this. Knows he can't put a new coach in the position he'd be putting this one in in year one if there aren't incoming players. Who would want that job?

As far as future recruits, you do feel for kids like Nyla Brooks who's so gung ho. And she is the best recruit we've had in a long time. However, if the move has to be made you can't let that stop you or it will never happen. Of course they're upset now, but when things calm down and they have time to process and see who the new coach is, they may decide they still love the program.

Why a white male, for what purpose? Make a hire to make a small portion of the fanbase that wants a white male happy, GIVE ME A D### break. I would much rather have WNBA experience seeing how the women's game has morphed into the WNBA as far as rules.
????
What are you going on about? You just get a sudden urge to strawperson?

I fully realize I am in the minority. Hasn’t bothered me ever.
DW has embarrassed himself with the baseball coach and now this.
What’s embarrassing is that a certain portion of this Lady Vols fan base is stuck in 1987 and insists on keeping everything “in the family!”
How has that worked out for us? I’ll tell you, we’ve had to fire 2 VFL’s that have given their all for Tennessee! I don’t know about you, but I don’t like eating my own just because we can’t get out of our own way and hire the best basketball coach available for our women’s squad, not a mediocre coach, just because it’s one of “Pat’s girls!”
And btw, the knock on the baseball coach is asinine!

Why a white male, for what purpose? Make a hire to make a small portion of the fanbase that wants a white male happy, GIVE ME A D### break. I would much rather have WNBA experience seeing how the women's game has morphed into the WNBA as far as rules.

That was then and this is now. Walz really screwed the pooch on the NIL part of the game. He had Cambridge locked down, she had her sister in place and her family said a NIL agreement was in hand(isnt that illegal). Next thing you know she is off to Ohio St. Van Lith is starting for LSU and she was one of his starters with NIL money. Is that really what you want?
What if the WNBA candidate is “a white male”? 😎

Wow! I know people on this board like to trash MMC but she would not have published that detail if not verified.

Jon could have done something else and I think the Harper family could have eked by on Kellie's million plus a year salary.

Kellie, sorry, you blew it......
Confirms that she was offered the opportunity to stay with staff changes and refused. Says it was mutual that she move on. Must have been John that AD White wanted removed.

VN Store

Back