Coach Kellie Harper fired

They seen she wasn’t going to get it done like a lot of us said it was time for to go
People with money make the decisions and the AD just carries out their wishes. That is the way it has always been and will continue to be. I hope we see a lot of support for the new coach from day one as they are going to need it to make this program great again. Your not doing it without players and it is now a NIL game to get them. So whether it is the Ivey, the Syracuse coach, Molly Miller, Gottlieb, or a host of others mentioned they will need that NIL to get us back to the top.

Heupel hasn’t even won our division much less the SEC and yet he is fabulous.
Heupel made real progress and won a damn Orange bowl. Got us good recruiting classes including the #1 player in Nico. How long it been since UT won 10 games ? Heupel is starting his 4th year and UT football was in much worse shape than Lady Vol Basketball when he got here.

People with money make the decisions and the AD just carries out their wishes. That is the way it has always been and will continue to be. I hope we see a lot of support for the new coach from day one as they are going to need it to make this program great again. Your not doing it without players and it is now a NIL game to get them. So whether it is the Ivey, the Syracuse coach, Molly Miller, Gottlieb, or a host of others mentioned they will need that NIL to get us back to the top.
I will support whom ever it is till I see they not going to get done.

Truly disappointed with this decision. Kellie deserved at least one more year. She is a class act and brought in a team of exemplary student athletes. I never worried about how Kellie, her staff or the team would represent my alma mater.

DW has shown himself to be weak and subject to which way the wind blows. He brought in a baseball coach that is an embarrassment to the university. That program is now known for vulgarity, poor sportsmanship and generally being a bunch of punks. I am tremendously concerned that the tradition Pat established of a national contender AND a class program is headed for the ash heap.

Just very sorry for a good person, good coach who has been treated unfairly by someone who isn’t even a member of the UT family.

I will continue to support the Lady Vols through thick and thin. I will hope for a new coach we can be proud of but now have significant doubts about DW’s judgment. A very sad day for UT WBB.
DW didn't hire Tony V. And apparently you know jack squat about baseball.

I don't post in this forum often because some of y'all can get a bit rabid. Pat established many traditions, but above all else, she demanded excellence and never settled for mediocrity. KJH has consistently put mediocrity on the floor and has been less than mediocre on the recruiting trail. If you're going to invoke Pat, then remember her correctly, please. There will never be another, but that doesn't mean we should settle for less than we can be simply to keep someone who played for her in the coaching position. Especially one that has failed to come close to her standards. I like KJH, but she has not kept this program to the standards Pat did.

KJH was not treated unfairly. She was given a chance and failed to meet the set standards.

DW became part of the UT family when he was hired. You don't have to have a degree from Tennessee to be part of the family. Ask Rick Barnes.

This whole "keeping it in the family" idea is called inbreeding and it's bad for the gene pool.

Chill out, it’s not like Kamila was arrested for being publicly intoxicated (while underage) and passed out behind the wheel of a car like Brooklyn Miles was.

Or a certain male coach from a northern school being accused of drunkenly sexually assaulting a hotel worker. Or a certain female coach at a southern school saying that players need to be coached by coaches with the same skin color as the players.

April Fools?

Wow. Cora just confirmed on twitter.

I was wrong.

He better have a helluva hire lined up.

I think the 1.1 second sealed the deal. No coming back from that.

I was wrong.
As I told you. I took a softer approach on her and didn’t post for awhile because the outcome and avalanche. If in over her head was a look, it was when the camera panned to her.

Reactions: glv98
That’s an old school mentality. Money boosters are nice and all, help buy nice things and we are grateful. In todays age, results matter, attendance matter, social media matters if you can’t produce you won’t get the support from the fans. And it’ll be known. Support from the everyday fan make the decisions from attendance, social media to giving money to NIL.

Reactions: Voluble2
Stadium attendance allows for you to support the Lady Vols. Not sure this is the battle you want as you show your lack of Tennessee sports knowledge lately.

Are you disputing the facts she presented? White's standard for programs was a championship within five years. The clock is approaching midnight.

Reactions: mudcat1973
Are you disputing the facts she presented? White's standard for programs was a championship within five years. The clock is approaching midnight.
Not disputing at all. If you want to hold him accountable for that, jump in on the call today with her. His Alabama win, Orange Bowl win and recruiting says he’ll be on his own time. When we get to 2008 level attendance, get back on here with me.

room for error is slightly different in football vs tournament sports. But you knew that, she probably didn’t .

When Tennessee fired Holy Warlick posters had a pizza party, over firing a Ex-Lady Vols whose jersey hangs from rafters.

Today after firing a Ex- Lady Vol Kellie Harper posters are having a "Wake" what's so funny is Warlick had more success .

The decision was AD Danny White's and no matter what I think or anyone else thinks. He done what he believed was best for the University of Tennessee. People can like DW or dislike him, still yet he is in charge of athletic department.

Last edited:
When Tennessee fired Holy Warlick posters had a pizza party, over firing a Ex-Lady Vols whose jersey hangs from rafters.

Today after firing a Ex- Lady Vol Kellie Harper posters are having a "Wake" what's so funny is Warlick had more success .
The disdain for Holly and the jersey in the rafters gets lost by those loyalist while protecting Kellie at all cost.

For everyone saying “Kara”

We just fired this. The percentages tell the most truth. She’s likely to be about a 60% win coach as well.

We basically just fired those results so makes no sense to replace Kellie was the same problems.
You Naysayers..................really have NO NO idea.
In todays game it has nothing to do with records in first few years.
It IS about building a program............in this case Building a program back,
Can they recruit. In todays world that means bring NIL money in and find players wanting to commit.
Can they develop players. Are they getting better. Are they disciplined.........ARE they working.
Can you see progress on the court. Will they run through the wall even when getting beat.
Are they in shape. Are they running both end of the court leaving in on the court?
I dont know if Kara can Coach or not. I DO know she was that kind of player..........but can she Coach it, dont know.
I just know for me, I will be satisfied if I see some effort on the court...........game in and game out.

I'm not having a party over the firing, it is what it is.

I'm just wondering why Tennessee fans pissed on Holly's accomplishments and praise Kellie's?

Good questions. Holly accumulated more success in her tenure but her decline was also more rapid. At the point Holly was let go it was tough to defend her due to all the interpersonal drama swirling around the program. Everyone had totally lost sight of basketball and Holly just kept chucking up her hands and saying “I don’t know” in interviews. She always had Pat there to clean it up if there was a mess and when suddenly there was a big spill on the floor poor Holly was frozen. It was all so sad, and the reason many of us did NOT want another LVFL after Holly.

I do believe Kellie did the program a solid in terms of righting the ship on culture and making Tennessee a fun place to play again. She just didn’t quite have the gusto to get us to the next level and win those big games or land those big recruits the program is begging for.

Also think Kellie was a little too cautious in her recruiting in this new landscape. She just wasn’t willing to get her hands dirty at all and with NIL being brand new you really needed to take the reins and run with it. Recruit first, ask questions later. The rules are still evolving which means it is very difficult to penalize teams for recruiting violations when there really aren’t even set standards in place.

Some good points but generally it was a bunch of football posters who have problems with…I’ll just leave that there. I hope people who truly are LV fans and have donated over the years to the LVs will be placing calls tomorrow to the AD. I know I will.

I graduated from UT, my son is now at UT, and I've spent more than enough time and money at this University for well over 20 years. Maybe some of us aren't regulars here in this particular forum, but it's our University that we are passionate about and I think the overwhelming majority wants the LV to be successful and reach where most of us have always recognized them to be - at the top of the college basketball world. Notice I didn't say "womens" as a qualifier - the LV have been synonymous with tradition and success in basketball in general for most of my lifetime. THAT is what most of us want, how we get there is open to debate and discussion.

Careful painting with broad strokes and all that. A difference of opinion is healthy but thinking your opinion is somehow superior to others due to where someone spends their time and focus on a message board, of all things, is asinine.

I really don’t follow coaches careers. Of the coaches that made it to the sweet 16 this year, how many of them met the definition of “home run hire” when their current school hired them?
I guess the definition of ”home run hire” would be previously before their current school were

1. Head coach in a P5 conference and
2. Consistently 1st or 2nd in their conference and
3. Made it previously to a final 4 or a couple elite 8s.

The only coach I can think of is Kim Mulkey. How many of the other sweat 16 coaches meet the definition of “home run hire” before their current school?

I think the answer will be an indication of our chances of a ”home run hire”.
Let’s hope whoever is hired will be considered a “home run hire“ 5 years from now if not sooner.

Reactions: Eric Viesturs
Some good points but generally it was a bunch of football posters who have problems with…I’ll just leave that there. I hope people who truly are LV fans and have donated over the years to the LVs will be placing calls tomorrow to the AD. I know I will.

Danny will be busy this week. I don’t think he’s going to have time to take your call and console you over a decision that’s already been made.

If you’re this bothered, maybe it’s time for you to move on since the program has.

You don’t have to agree with this but at some point you’re going to need to accept it if you’re going to continue being a LV fan because he is definitely not unfiring her.

I'm not having a party over the firing, it is what it is.

I'm just wondering why Tennessee fans pissed on Holly's accomplishments and praise Kellie's as Head coach?

Probably because players were fighting each other in the locker room, top-ranked recruiting classes were losing to bottom teams in the league, we only got into the Tournament as a charity case in the final year, and poor Holly couldn't handle pressers at all. "I don't know' became the widely-mocked response similar to Butch Jones's infamous"Champions For Life" comment.

The scenario is not as some disingenuous posters here are making it. I'm not seeing any posters defending Kellie's record who were disparaging Holly's record. I am seeing the same people who bashed Holly also bashing Kellie and Jon with insults.

Or a certain male coach from a northern school being accused of drunkenly sexually assaulting a hotel worker. Or a certain female coach at a southern school saying that players need to be coached by coaches with the same skin color as the players.
Exactly. All programs have skeletons in their closets. Tennessee is no different. So there’s no moral high ground to be taken here.

VN Store

Back