Coach Kellie discusses the Ohio State game

I believe she was as shocked as we was shocked. She also forgot to add not playing a Key player one half of a game cause of foul trouble was the 'square in the donut'.
Her expectation ( so it seems ) of this veteran team's 'know how' was less than what she probably thought or dreamed .
And what we thought as well. But let's dream on to higher height .
Stop getting like the Red Queen shouting ' Off with her head' , they had you fool too.

Wow, it's amazing how fast someone can go from darling to goat--one loss? Maybe I've just missed it, not coming on this forum that often. Not sure what great coaches are there to replace her. Comparing her to CPS is of no value.
It's kinda early in the season to shytt the bed like that;)

Wow, it's amazing how fast someone can go from darling to goat--one loss? Maybe I've just missed it, not coming on this forum that often. Not sure what great coaches are there to replace her. Comparing her to CPS is of no value.

Massive, irrational overreactions are the bread and butter of fan boards.

Harper has never impressed me. I think she is a good person but do not think she gets us where most Lady Vol fans think we should go. With that said, I do not think she is in trouble here with her job. There is just not that many good coaches for Danny White to pick through for the women’s game. Harper will easily win 20 plus games around here year in and year out and keep her job moving forward.

Guys, I've been as big a supporter of Kellie as anyone on this board, but to sit and watch your team get butchered like that and not stop it for at least a timeout and a rally talk, is beyond me...That is coaching malpractice....

Even in her press conference she tried to play down the ass whipping they were taking as fatigue....It wasn't fatigue it was a pure beating, and she didn't do a damn thing to try and stop it...

Sorry guys, but I should not have tried to watch the third quarter again....It was a real horror show...

I can't believe she didn't call timeout...
51-5sDuk8DL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA187%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Massive, irrational overreactions are the bread and butter of fan boards.

Mad, it was the third quarter that did it for most of us....We waited a long time to see them play again in a meaningful game, and we got slop instead of fine dining...

I can't believe she didn't call timeout....
ugno8fewu74z.jpg

A few here have said she was in over her head for awhile, from coaching the brand of Tennessee to recruiting. If she's not willing to make changes in game, she needs to have a strong bench coach to help her out. I said last year she needed to upgrade her bench and cut loose her husband. Pat always surrounded herself with coaches who made her job easier, Holly, Dean, Demoss and Al Brown.
Fact is she Jon may be a better coach than Kellie. Kellie does many things well but in game adjustments have always been a weakness for her. She freezes up when things start going bad. However she is very good at conserving timeouts. She now has 1,343 unused timeouts in her career

Harper seems too soft and, like Warlick before her, too much of a player's coach. Wants to be liked. We need a brass tacks coach
who commands respect and who can mold a team--not just run the player's out on the court and hope for the best.

We shot the ball well last night--but until we stop playing sloppy, undisciplined basketball, which has only been a consistent problem for, oh,
15 years, we will continue to embarrass ourselves. No poise, no toughness. Harper seemed flustered when talking to the press after the game--and she should have been. She needs to find and cultivate a couple of leaders on the team--on-court leaders who can crack on teammates who are playing stupid basketball. Who those leaders might be, I don't know.

Carla Berube…New Jersey gets old fast and she’s all smart. No longer a well-kept secret. And her best years are still ahead.

Last edited:
It's becoming painfully clear that the turnover crisis won't be solved under KJH. Nothing ever changes. 29 turnovers? Seriously?

I hope Danny White cares enough about the legacy of women's basketball to make a change even though they are still making the NCAA Tournament. Every other major sport at Tennessee is performing well right now except for this one. I'm confident that White would not limit his search to just former Lady Vol players. Sooner or later, it will have to happen. KJH doesn't recruit high school players well, and frankly, isn't much of a bench coach either. We can do better.

It's becoming painfully clear that the turnover crisis won't be solved under KJH. Nothing ever changes. 29 turnovers? Seriously?

I hope Danny White cares enough about the legacy of women's basketball to make a change even though they are still making the NCAA Tournament. Every other major sport at Tennessee is performing well right now except for this one. I'm confident that White would not limit his search to just former Lady Vol players. Sooner or later, it will have to happen. KJH doesn't recruit high school players well, and frankly, isn't much of a bench coach either. We can do better.
Yeah it will be a long time before Danny White would do anything about the Women's Basketball Coaching situation at Tennessee. If Kellie's teams win 20+ games a season and go to the NCAA Tournament every season she will be the head basketball coach at Tennessee for a long time to come. Women's Basketball isn't high on the list of priorities i believe in the Tennessee Athletic Department because it doesn't bring in the money that Rick Barnes Mens Basketball teams do.

Last edited:
Reactions: lfvol
Coach Kellie has assemble a team of talented players through a combination of recruiting high schoolers and the portal. Don’t know if it is through her personality, Tennessee tradition, NIL deals or a combination of these and or other factors. The players seem happy being here and accepting of there role on the team. I have not heard of any big off the court issues. I would give coach Kellie an A- in this regard.
They probably are one of the top 3 or teams in the country as far as talent is concerned and as long as they just don’t quit on the team (I don’t see that happening), they have an excellent shot of being an elite 8 team which is very good. As far as getting the players to buying into the program I would give Coach Kellie an A.

How far they go beyond elite 8 depends on coaching. By coaching I mean looking at your upcoming opponent and developing a game plan, in game adjustments, developing player skills/roles, developing good team play. Most of the players have improved their skills and they know what their roles are. A couple players have not improve their skills IMO even though they have been on the team awhile. I don’t know if it is a player thing or lack of coaching. Team play has been so so. Someti,es it looks like they are playing excellent team ball but a lot of times it looks like one player is just trying to take over. In game adjustments is definitely a weakness as well as developing team play. If I was going to give give the coaching staff a grade I would give them a “C”. Hopefully this area can improve and then we would be talking about a consistent top 5 program. Just my thoughts.

Coach Kellie has assemble a team of talented players through a combination of recruiting high schoolers and the portal. Don’t know if it is through her personality, Tennessee tradition, NIL deals or a combination of these and or other factors. The players seem happy being here and accepting of there role on the team. I have not heard of any big off the court issues. I would give coach Kellie an A- in this regard.
They probably are one of the top 3 or teams in the country as far as talent is concerned and as long as they just don’t quit on the team (I don’t see that happening), they have an excellent shot of being an elite 8 team which is very good. As far as getting the players to buying into the program I would give Coach Kellie an A.

How far they go beyond elite 8 depends on coaching. By coaching I mean looking at your upcoming opponent and developing a game plan, in game adjustments, developing player skills/roles, developing good team play. Most of the players have improved their skills and they know what their roles are. A couple players have not improve their skills IMO even though they have been on the team awhile. I don’t know if it is a player thing or lack of coaching. Team play has been so so. Someti,es it looks like they are playing excellent team ball but a lot of times it looks like one player is just trying to take over. In game adjustments is definitely a weakness as well as developing team play. If I was going to give give the coaching staff a grade I would give them a “C”. Hopefully this area can improve and then we would be talking about a consistent top 5 program. Just my thoughts.
I hope KJH isn't a Holly Warlick with a better personality;)

Reactions: Raebo
Fact is she Jon may be a better coach than Kellie. Kellie does many things well but in game adjustments have always been a weakness for her. She freezes up when things start going bad. However she is very good at conserving timeouts. She now has 1,343 unused timeouts in her career
Best Post Award!!!

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Wow. all this nastiness after one game. Pretty pathetic.
You are spot on Rickster, it was one game, the first one of the season at that and on the road versus a ranked opponent. It was almost like a perfect storm environment for OSU, their press was polished and ready, they had a very experienced group that had been playing together for awhile and the home crowd. It happens.

Jackson prob needs a few games under her belt to figure out how to mix with Horston and company. Her game won’t stay quiet for long, one of the best players in the nation let alone the SEC. The PG might need to look inside more before calling her own number, that should come also. Key just needs focus, she is too experienced to still be playing like that. You could get it if her early fouls were committed defending the rim trying to prevent a bucket, but those early fouls were just lazy and not even defending a shot.

Last edited:
Jackson prob needs a few games under her belt to figure out how to mix with Horston and company. Her game won’t stay quiet for long, one of the best players in the nation let alone the SEC. The PG might need to look inside more before calling her own number, that should come also.

I think this is the biggest issue to solve for right now. Both Jackson and Horston are ball dominant players. Horston has good court vision, but has a tendency to just go for hero ball when things are tight while her teammates stand out. Rickea doesn't look to pass; once the ball goes to Rickea, she's looking to score. I don't recall her passing it back out much when she was at MSST. Between her, Horston and Powell, that's too many players that are looking to go one on one-two-three. These three need to lose their "score at all costs" mindset and play more team ball.

This was Horston's game for the homefolks. Look for her to do what is best for the team now.

Guys, I've been as big a supporter of Kellie as anyone on this board, but to sit and watch your team get butchered like that and not stop it for at least a timeout and a rally talk, is beyond me...That is coaching malpractice....

Even in her press conference she tried to play down the ass whipping they were taking as fatigue....It wasn't fatigue it was a pure beating, and she didn't do a damn thing to try and stop it...

Sorry guys, but I should not have tried to watch the third quarter again....It was a real horror show...

51-5sDuk8DL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA187%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg
KJH is a terrible coach. We can and should do better.

Reactions: Cudaman340

Had a hint of Darth in that post.

VN Store

Back