Coach Hype Monday Presser

There is almost certainly something brewing. Banks incident (which Heupel essentially confirmed) may only be a small part of it. But there was/is something going on that contributed to that beat down.
Look at our depth, talent, experience, and performance in the secondary and tell me we have a top ten defense. Second, some crazy play calling on both sides of the ball. Hendon has been uncharacteristically "off target" on a higher percentage of passes in critical situations. Finally, I hate to blame officiating but, it was absolutely a factor in this game. The constant holding on both offense and defense by SC right in front of officials with no calls really got into our heads early. Going down the field on that first drive and not answering gave SC all the "pump" they needed to play hard and well to win. We better correct as much as we can before Vandy. I do not have a lot of confidence in Milton. I am afraid it is going to be another 38-21 Vandy win this weekend. Prove me wrong Vols!

Defense has been held together with paper clips and duct tape all season. SC had a season's worth of film on them, had the offensive talent to exploit them, and did a good job of it.

We have some deficiencies for sure and I do think not enough people are giving SC and Rattler credit, but we should not have lost that game, and in no universe should we have been a top 5 team losing to an unranked opponent by historic margins. All of this speculation about Banks and drama and so forth really doesn’t matter in my opinion. Many are looking for someone to blame, because they are upset, which I get. We should be upset.

That said, our anger will not change what happened or fix any issues, whatever the real ones were. One guy being out shouldn’t cause so many others to play so badly. Players have some responsibility, but so do coaches. Whatever the reason(s), the team that played on Saturday did not play as well as they should have.

Figuring out what happened and who messed up is important for the staff and team to navigate, own up to, and resolve. Us knowing all of the details is not necessary, fixes nothing, and arguably makes dealing with things harder on those who actually have to do it. If they do what they need to it will show up on the field, and if they don’t, that will become apparent too.

I'm not saying I know what happened Sat night. It's something of a mystery to me, too. I'm guessing only the team and those close to them do. I just don't think the theory of the players threw the game or refused to play hard over a locker room incident or a disciplinary incident makes any sense at all, given what was at stake for the team to accomplish. I'm offering a counter theory: Our defense is actually capable of playing that poorly due to lack of talent.

They may not have threw it, but there was definitely lack of focus because of the issue. You could cut the tension with a knife through the tv screen, something was way off.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
We don't have top talent in the secondary, or almost anywhere else on the defense, thanks to the last coach and the portal departures when Heupel got here. That we have been able to survive with only one loss up til Sat was an excellent coaching job. When you don't have a solid foundation, the house will eventually come tumbing down.
agree completely, and is why I'm not on the "Fire Tim Banks" train yet. Defense was a known suspect all year, but we managed to play pretty well considering lack of talent.

Do not like his answer on Banks. Needs way more transparency on that after it was clear the defense mailed it in to protest him not being allowed to play.
For the record, I didn't like the answer either. He was point blank asked if Banks would be available for the Vandy game. Heupel said "we anticipate Jeremy being with us here this week".

Reactions: feathersax
They did not throw the game. Our pass defense got straight man handled
No one is giving USC enough credit for this. They watched a ton of film all year and basically roasted us. Rattler played the game of his life and we got very little pressure on him. Not having Jeremy Banks leading the middle of the field didn't help either.

Reporter: "coach did you have a conversation with Hadden about running his mouth after just getting beat on every pass play"

Heupel: "I am sure there are some plays the defense knows it should have made"

Aren’t you pretty well connected. Are some of us just reading to much into it?
Definitely. There is no way on earth the team would phone in a game with that much on the line. We have slow DBs that can’t cover, and a line that can’t pressure a QB. We missed Banks. Hopefully things will level out this week.

I'm totally good with the non-answer on Banks. This is a locker room issue that needs to be handled internally. Releasing the details to the public opens the door for every yahoo on Twitter to respond with opinions and will only serve to stoke flames and make matters worse and cause further division.

I get it, Saturday was disappointing and frustrating and we want answers. I would like answers too, but it simply isn't our place as fans to know. Let the team work it out internally and move on from it. We will get an answer this Saturday where the team is.

The Florida game opposing teams the blueprint to abuse our secondary. Every team we played except Kentucky lit us up in yards passing. So there really is 2 issues at play here= the talent level has not been good in the secondary all year and why did they just not show up at all Saturday ?

Definitely. There is no way on earth the team would phone in a game with that much on the line. We have slow DBs that can’t cover, and a line that can’t pressure a QB. We missed Banks. Hopefully things will level out this week.
I just don’t understand how we gave up 63 points to that offense. I don’t think banks affects the defense that much

Not sure why he needs transparency at all. If it has been handled and taken care of, why does he owe anyone in the media or fanbase an explanation?

I've never understood why fans have this entitlement to know everything that happens in the locker room.

If Hype says its handled and taken care of, that should be good enough for the village idiots.
You're correct, he doesn't. Many fans think because they spend a few dollars, get happy when they win and mad/sad when they lose that they are entitled to a daily record of what happens inside and outside the locker room...

Media didnt mess around dude got all his Banks questions lined up and concisely done. Heupels response told us all we need to know.

Reactions: mpfvol
They did not throw the game. Our pass defense got straight man handled

I think far more likely than players throwing a game is there were distractions that resulted in some of them being less prepared than they should have been come game day. If so, players messed up, but the coaches did too when they failed to get their students prioritizing what they should. If there was locker room drama, or if people just assumed they would be able to easily win and slacked off, or any other number of reasons could have played a part.

The team didn’t do enough to win the game, a game that most believe they should have won. Losing games you should win is part of college football, but doing so in historic fashion is embarrassing. Had it been a close one where a few breaks cost us it would still suck, but the way it played out has us angry, and it should, but being quick to assume the worst of why it happened is not really useful, imho.

Based on how terrible USCjr is I have to believe there was more to it than talent or coaching. They have struggled against every team they have played.

The sad part IMO, while our defense wasn’t going to win any awards, it has played well at times. They did NOT even play up to THEIR par on Saturday. And it was obvious there was no real adjustments made to fix the issues. Hard to believe the defense could fall off the map with 1 player OUT … there was more. SC probably played the best offensive game in their history, got more breaks with penalties, no turnovers, home game, desperate … the list goes on. Hopefully the team WILL learn from this. But give credit to SC for coming to play and Beamer said as much at half time.

VN Store

Back