Coach Hype Monday Presser

The defense was overmatched. They got whipped repeatedly, and then they realized they were not going to win, they quit. Not sure why you think it was some kind of protest. Even if they thought something was unfair, there was too much on the line to play soft in protest. Your theory makes no sense to me.
So how did our defense hold it together all those other times? Is Banks really the difference? Second year in a row we’ve looked nonexistent late in the year defensively after losing to a Purdue team that spotted us the 3 players with talent on their roster. Maybe that’s not a theme and those are one-off circumstances but it’s still the worst defensive effort in over 100 years, including the Sunseri and Shoop defenses.

Not sure why he needs transparency at all. If it has been handled and taken care of, why does he owe anyone in the media or fanbase an explanation?

I've never understood why fans have this entitlement to know everything that happens in the locker room.

If Hype says its handled and taken care of, that should be good enough for the village idiots.
💯 agree! Coaches never have been, are not, nor will be obligated to publicly share such details!

Last edited:
Yes, it's so simple, and that's why all of us here are college coaches making millions per year.
Didn’t say it was easy, but if you’re being paid that much and want to compete with coaches who have loaded rosters, you better recognize your limitations quick and solve that. You can be mad at me but I’m not the one who gave us the worst defensive performance in 1893.

Huepel is not a defensive coach. He has to trust someone else to be the "expert". This D has not played to the level of the talent it has in the secondary. That falls on the DC.

We don't have top talent in the secondary, or almost anywhere else on the defense, thanks to the last coach and the portal departures when Heupel got here. That we have been able to survive with only one loss up til Sat was an excellent coaching job. When you don't have a solid foundation, the house will eventually come tumbing down.

We don't have top talent in the secondary, or almost anywhere else on the defense, thanks to the last coach and the portal departures when Heupel got here. That we have been able to survive with only one loss up til Sat was an excellent coaching job. When you don't have a solid foundation, the house will eventually come tumbing down.
This was more than having “no talent”. This was an internal locker room issue, there’s no way in hell you all of a sudden give up 63 to a pathetic SC team. You can’t even dream up what happened Saturday.

No. He does not need to make things a billion times worse by airing "dirty laundry".

Agreed. If he says we are good now, that should be enough. Not sure how spilling them details helps anyone, and we aren’t entitled to them. To those saying we want to know what to expect: you will know on Saturday if things are heading in the right direction.

Reactions: grandjason
This was more than having “no talent”. This was an internal locker room issue, there’s no way in hell you all of a sudden give up 63 to a pathetic SC team. You can’t even dream up what happened Saturday.

Defense has been held together with paper clips and duct tape all season. SC had a season's worth of film on them, had the offensive talent to exploit them, and did a good job of it.

Defense has been held together with paper clips and duct tape all season. SC had a season's worth of film on them, had the offensive talent to exploit them, and did a good job of it.

Bama had plenty of film and only scored 50. Were talking about SC here, they scored 6 against Florida just the previous week.

Bama had plenty of film and only scored 50. Were talking about SC here, they scored 6 against Florida just the previous week.

ONLY scored 50 !!!???? I can't explain their performance against Florida. Maybe they had a locker room issue and the players played soft in protest? Maybe their OC sucks and Beamer took over the offense for this one? Or vice versa?

Imagine pissing away the opportunity to play for a national title in protest to someone getting punished.

I don’t believe it’s that simple. I think one we suck and two we were distracted by whatever went down with Banks.
There is almost certainly something brewing. Banks incident (which Heupel essentially confirmed) may only be a small part of it. But there was/is something going on that contributed to that beat down.

Imagine pissing away the opportunity to play for a national title in protest to someone getting punished.

I don’t believe it’s that simple. I think one we suck and two we were distracted by whatever went down with Banks.
I would add three more - we missed Banks on the field, Rattler had an uncharacteristically good game (even discounting for the poor defense) and the strategy of using wildcat some in the redzone was actually pretty smart - it defeated our typical approach of tightening the defense in the red zone. These three combined with the two you mentioned led to a complete breakdown, like I hope to never see again.

I could dream up a last second field goal upset, but nothing on the level of this magnitude of fail.

Last edited:
ONLY scored 50 !!!???? I can't explain their performance against Florida. Maybe they had a locker room issue and the players played soft in protest? Maybe their OC sucks and Beamer took over the offense for this one? Or vice versa?

Think what you want, but this was more than just having no talent. And in case you haven’t noticed, Bama is a MUCH better team than SC so yeah “only 50”.

If Beamer had taken over the offense we’d have probably scored 28 on defense.

Or it was 10 weeks of tape on a suspect DC.

I don't believe it is a talent issue. To believe that would be to agree that Vandy and several other weak programs have more talent. I think it is the same issue that its been all along. I do not believe that Banks has the talent to be a DC in the SEC. I could be wrong. That choice will be Heupel's. It is his job and his call on the line.

UT's O improved 7 ppg year over year and about 15% in ypg. That's a pretty big step.

The D is allowing 4 ppg less and 10 ypg less this year. The Vols are 12th in total D in the SEC this year... and were 12th last year. It would have been difficult to imagine UT getting worse in passing D... but they have- 273 last and 303 this year.

Pretty simple the majority of the year we have stopped the run and got after the quarterback masking the secondaries troubles. Against Georgia and South Carolina we didn’t do as well there. We have been in top 10 in rushing and red zone defense all year. We have to stop run and get to the quarterback to have success on defense. Our secondary has troubles covering for long periods. GBO

Think what you want, but this was more than just having no talent. And in case you haven’t noticed, Bama is a MUCH better team than SC so yeah “only 50”.
I'm not saying I know what happened Sat night. It's something of a mystery to me, too. I'm guessing only the team and those close to them do. I just don't think the theory of the players threw the game or refused to play hard over a locker room incident or a disciplinary incident makes any sense at all, given what was at stake for the team to accomplish. I'm offering a counter theory: Our defense is actually capable of playing that poorly due to lack of talent.

Reactions: Orange931

VN Store

Back