Coach Doug Mathews has us 8-4.

I'm not as high on UF even with them playing A&M instead of Bama.

They got thumped pretty good in their Ls last year. And if that's his stance I tend to agree with his point because I don't see 7-1 or 8-0 even with their schedule.

I'm just going by what he said.
I know when I see good football and bad football, if we're total crap then yeah, I can agree with him also.

But he made an absolute, even if the table is ran by a team other than us, we should ditch our coach. We should reserve the future of our coach by our performance, not by anyone else's schedule or their accomplishment. We'll know if we see a worthy product or not.

Reactions: 1 person
Too young in year 5? No excuse nope, not buying that . :no:

The comment was too young at certain positions to win the east without some luck which is the truth and has nothing to do with year 5.

Unless a team is blowing out everyone, thus allowing reserves to play, a team is going to have inexperience at positions where experience is lost, either to the NFL or graduation.

In those years it is difficult for most teams to win without luck while the new folks gain experience. By mid season that youth should be somewhat experienced - the problem quite honestly is that Tennessee has key division games early in the season rather than late in the season.

Reactions: 2 people
I know when I see good football and bad football, if we're total crap then yeah, I can agree with him also.

But he made an absolute, even if the table is ran by a team other than us, we should ditch our coach. We should reserve the future of our coach by our performance, not by anyone else's schedule or their accomplishment. We'll know if we see a worthy product or not.

If absolutes had always been used - Fulmer would not have lasted as long as he did.

Anyone that says they would not be satisfied with say a 10-2 or 11-1 season is NOT a fan - because that would land UT in the discussion at the end of the year regardless of division standing.

Least we forget OSU was in the playoffs and they did not win their division or play in the Big 10 title game.

I'd like to hear him clarify that because I don't think he believes either team is that good. He seems to be a pretty level headed cat regardless of his team preference and saying that UT should fire a 7-1 Jones because UGA or UF went 8-0 doesn't make sense.

I'd like to hear him clarify that because I don't think he believes either team is that good. He seems to be a pretty level headed cat regardless of his team preference and saying that UT should fire a 7-1 Jones because UGA or UF went 8-0 doesn't make sense.

Either way, I see UT and UF as very close with the head-to-head matchup in Gainesville. So no matter what he meant, I'm still judging us by our overall performance. What Mcelwain is able to do this year will have no bearing on my feelings about whether or not we play good football.

If he chooses to see it differently or any Vol fans for that matter, that's fine. I'm just stating my position and that is, it will not be a reflection of what Florida does. The argument applied much more last season than this season for me personally.

Even though every expert in the land is predicting this number of wins, I see no way that it's not going to be called a failure.

I personally would take one upset loss in trade for beating one of our big rivals. But if we take an upset loss, that's "proof we can't get it done". If we lose to the best teams, they're our rivals and that's "proof we can't get it done."

Basically for many, the only way we can even achieve this year is to overachieve.

Good grief, does our fan base expect every year to be a rebuild year under Butch. After how many years should we expect Butch to at least win the East not to mention SEC?!

Sorry, even if you feel other teams have a little more talent, which in the East I do not feel their is much difference, certainly not enough if he is the better coach he could not overcome. Now if you feel other coaches are just plain better, than we have a new discussion imo.

The only game I see as a "not a chance" is Bama. If we can get the opposite kind of luck from what we had last year, 11-1 is a very definite possibility.

I still feel the most probable result will be 9-3, losing Bama and 2 of the other 3 "big boys".

I'm on the fringes this year with 9-3 or 10-2. The past 3 I've been on target pretty much. I believe our coaching upgrades, overall experience and maturity upgrades, and dependence on team cause overachievement. Those are bigger than the loss of starpower that most focus on.

Get a couple breaks and we could have a special season.

Maturity upgrades?

Good grief, does our fan base expect every year to be a rebuild year under Butch. After how many years should we expect Butch to at least win the East not to mention SEC?!

Sorry, even if you feel other teams have a little more talent, which in the East I do not feel their is much difference, certainly not enough if he is the better coach he could not overcome. Now if you feel other coaches are just plain better, than we have a new discussion imo.

You have no idea what I expect and regardless, I'll decide my own opinion. Don't like it, don't really give a damn. :) have a nice day.

can never have to many big time backs. just look at UGA when both chubb and sony went down. i like having a stable 4,5, even 6 deep

When those studs went down a couple years ago, who was left? Brenden Douglas?

Last year they brought in Herrien, who's very good, and the Holyfield kid who didn't exactly look like either Chubb or Michel when they were freshmen.

A stable of 5 or 6 studs is just not realistic. 2, rarely 3 backed up by some solid SEC rbs is about as good as it gets.

At this point, not winning the division would equal failure.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

What he said

Either way, I see UT and UF as very close with the head-to-head matchup in Gainesville. So no matter what he meant, I'm still judging us by our overall performance. What Mcelwain is able to do this year will have no bearing on my feelings about whether or not we play good football.

If he chooses to see it differently or any Vol fans for that matter, that's fine. I'm just stating my position and that is, it will not be a reflection of what Florida does. The argument applied much more last season than this season for me personally.
I can understand that.

I just don't see why this year is really that much different than the last. Other than it's a year later.

I've been at 8-4 all along. I think Tennessee could very well be better than 9 of the 12 teams on the schedule this year talent wise but I honestly assume we'll slip up and lose to somebody we shouldn't. If he wins less than 8 and loses to a Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Missouri, I could definitely see his job being in jeapordy. After 5 years if he wins less than 8 and loses to one of the above mentioned schools how could anyone think he's the guy that can get it done here?

i just don't get how Doug or anyone else is ok with this. that outcome would be an absolute failure. Butch should be fired if this happens, those are the only games that matter. the other games should be perennial locks as wins and split those four every year at least and once every 3-4 win 3 out of the 4

Don't worry it is not going to happen. We will beat GA and FL.

Reactions: 3 people
The only game I see as a "not a chance" is Bama. If we can get the opposite kind of luck from what we had last year, 11-1 is a very definite possibility.

I still feel the most probable result will be 9-3, losing Bama and 2 of the other 3 "big boys".

Year 5 and we should be able to play with anybody

CBJ job is not in jeopardy. I've copied and pasted this oh maybe 6 dozen times...the real people who make real decisions and give real money and do this for a living at UT have zero interest in searching for a new head football coach. Now we must have the most naive fan base in the country if they really really think he'll be replaced anytime soon....no understanding the big picture.,,like it or hate it that's where we are right now...

Reactions: 8 people
On this mornings show, he was very positive especially about 2018. Loves our commitment list.
Says we are a little too young at certain positions to win the East in 2017 without some big breaks.
Says 15 or more freshman will be big contributors this year.
Interesting that he did not mention CFA at all when talking RB saying we will have 2 freshmen behind Kelly.
Really likes our o-line this year and says d- line should be ok depending on no injury bug.
Was hoping for a Tuttle update. Don't think he gave one.
Likes adding Wiggins to secondary.
Likes our kicking game.
I didn't hear whole show, so don't know what he said about QB.
Says Hoke and Warren have really helped Shoop prepare much better both on and off the field.
Says Butch is in no way on the hot seat with a new AD giving him any benefit of the doubt this season especially if the 2018 recruiting class continues to look strong.

CFA has always been a project. Came in with a big injury, underweight for SEC play, so no one expected him to play last year - but he did. If he's still under 190 this year then young Chandler, Coleman or Jordan could take his spot in a heartbeat.

VN Store

Back