Coach DeBo- OL

Me too. I want to see what he does before I automatically start calling this a great hire

The man hasn't called a play in 8 years. Granted, he's not likely to forget how to coach, but he really wasn't great at Michigan and certainly wasnt at Central Michigan, the last time he was paired with Jones

I call this into question. So what? Dick Vermeil was a broadcaster for 14 years before going to the LA Rams, and led them to the Super Bowl in year 3 (and won too).

It is not difficult to relearn something you intimately know. I can pick up chess very quickly if I need to, for example.

Reactions: 3 people
Surely everyone knew it would be all positive stuff coming out of our players mouths right? It is always like this when a coach is newly hired. Halfway through their tenure, or when they quit or get fired is when we start hearing troubling stuff coming from our players about a particular coach. I'm not saying Debord will be a bust, but comments like those from our players is expected at this point in time.

So you guys expect current players to say something bad about a current coach who has everything to do with their playing time?

I tell you what, next time your boss wants to know how you really feel about him and your position, tell it like it is and see where it gets you

They probably wouldn't say anything about about the new OC, yes, I agree, but if they didn't like the new OC they would be more likely to just give a short, succinct answer like "Yeah, he's great." But they didn't. Instead, both players went into some detail describing Debord and why they like him, which they were not obligated to do. That tells me that he has made favorable impressions on the players so far.

Now granted that doesn't automatically mean that Debord will be a great OC. But it does mean that it is highly doubtful those players were just being nice to their new 'boss' simply because they were afraid to say anything bad.

Reactions: 4 people
They probably wouldn't say anything about about the new OC, yes, I agree, but if they didn't like the new OC they would be more likely to just give a short, succinct answer like "Yeah, he's great." But they didn't. Instead, both players went into some detail describing Debord and why they like him, which they were not obligated to do. That tells me that he has made favorable impressions on the players so far.

Now granted that doesn't automatically mean that Debord will be a great OC. But it does mean that it is highly doubtful those players were just being nice to their new 'boss' simply because they were afraid to say anything bad.

^This Silence speaks volumes...gotta lot of during the Dooley years.

Reactions: 1 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountVolcula View Post
Me too. I want to see what he does before I automatically start calling this a great hire

The man hasn't called a play in 8 years. Granted, he's not likely to forget how to coach, but he really wasn't great at Michigan and certainly wasnt at Central Michigan, the last time he was paired with Jones

I call this into question. So what? Dick Vermeil was a broadcaster for 14 years before going to the LA Rams, and led them to the Super Bowl in year 3 (and won too).

It is not difficult to relearn something you intimately know. I can pick up chess very quickly if I need to, for example.

Kerbyson: "And he’s not trying to change so much of our stuff, which is really great."

I think CMD attempted to portray confidence (in 1st presser) that he's been able to stay abreast with modern offensive play calling (during his past 8 yrs off college coaching) -- otherwise, I hope he's not relearning 2007, b/c the option was to not hire someone (outside CBJ's past/system) with proven OC experience during the more recent 1-5 yrs / where the players would have to re-"learn" (a new system). It is therefore believed the 2013 and 2014 / current (Cinci) play-calling system in place is sufficient to produce in this SEC, now that we have experience in it ("he's not trying to change so much of our stuff"). I'm ever-trusting. 119

DeBord is Butch's man. We will ride or die with this choice. I don't think it's really fair to make a judgment until we see the product. It should be a smooth transition considering little will be changed with the offense. We should know early in the season if this will work out.

Don't disagree, Blair likely wins the job with Richmond pushing him.

don't think Blair is the LT..

very likely Kerbyson is going to be the best option. Not a great LT but the best option on this roster

Game 1 and the 1st half of the oklahomo game will be really interesting to watch.

If we see a lot of O linemen switching around on positions then we'll know we still have some issues to get worked out.

I'm really hoping that in game 1 we get a big lead fast so that lots of our backups can get a lot of snaps on film for our coaches to help get them straightened out quicker.

I'll get worried if we're still switching O linemen around in the 3rd quarter against oklahoma unless there's been a serious injury.

O line is still my biggest worry.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people

very likely Kerbyson is going to be the best option. Not a great LT but the best option on this roster

Daniel Lewis strongly agrees. That's very, very, very bad news.

Originally Posted by LWSVOL View Post

Daniel Lewis strongly agrees. That's very, very, very bad news.

I would not call that "news" at all, just one man's opinion. And somebody's opinion put forth before spring practice, at that.

The coaches will play the best we have, and I don't see why multiple guys wouldn't be in the mix.

Originally Posted by LWSVOL View Post

I would not call that "news" at all, just one man's opinion. And somebody's opinion put forth before spring practice, at that.

The coaches will play the best we have, and I don't see why multiple guys wouldn't be in the mix.

The reason I believe it's bad news is because 2 different "insider" credible sources have now given the same opinion at this point.....that the guy that we all believed to be best physically equipped to handle the crucial LT position simply hasn't developed to the point where he's ready to take our biggest offensive concern off the table.

Kerbyson is by all accounts athletic enough to be a very good SEC guard....but not a OT, especially the critically important LT. We saw what happened when we had no true OT on the roster last year...we had guards and centers playing out of position and it wasn't good.

Perhaps Blair is gonna surprise us all this Spring. But when 2 legit guys who are close to program say it ain't happening, I think that's really bad news.

The reason I believe it's bad news is because 2 different "insider" credible sources have now given the same opinion at this point.....that the guy that we all believed to be best physically equipped to handle the crucial LT position simply hasn't developed to the point where he's ready to take our biggest offensive concern off the table.

Kerbyson is by all accounts athletic enough to be a very good SEC guard....but not a OT, especially the critically important LT. We saw what happened when we had no true OT on the roster last year...we had guards and centers playing out of position and it wasn't good.

Perhaps Blair is gonna surprise us all this Spring. But when 2 legit guys who are close to program say it ain't happening, I think that's really bad news.

I'm sad to hear that my friend.

O line is 1 of my biggest concerns.

We need to be able to knock people back and get a power running game going.

We also need much better pass protection so that Dobbs will have the time to go through his progressions and make completions and keep the chains moving.

It's also a MUST that Dobbs can consistently make completions on long balls so we can spread the field to open up our run game and our shorter passing game.

We have the speed at WR to stretch the field for long passes but Dobbs must have the time for those longer plays to develop and he must be able to make those longer passes consistently.

I sure hope our O line and Dobbs passing gets a lot better before game 1.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back