Coach Butch Jones,how long a leash does he have ?

Who thinks he will have two more years after this one? Go ahead and call it now just before the season officially begins!

Me. Unless the wheels completely fall off, I think he gets a minimum of 4 years, not the normal 3

Butch is holding the leash at this point, not wearing it.

As long as he doesn't get embarrassed by some doolyesque boneheaded move, this year won't matter much. Screw up next season and there will be a problem. 2015 is the year that most rational people have set high expectations for the program.

Reactions: 2 people

As long as he doesn't get embarrassed by some doolyesque boneheaded move, this year won't matter much. Screw up next season and there will be a problem. 2015 is the year that most rational people have set high expectations for the program.

This guy has sense. OP I'm not sure about him.

Reactions: 1 person

I kind of agree. My thinking is, especially if we get shillacked like we did against Oregan last year, he'll have to show marketed improvement by next year. Maybe even an 8-4 record and bowl win.

2017 regardless of what happens. No way Dave doesn't give him 4-5 years. No worries though, I'm sure by 15-16 we will be winning 8,9,10 games a year.

Who thinks he will have two more years after this one? Go ahead and call it now just before the season officially begins!

Two years easy. I am on record. He needs to get the 2015 class inked and on the field. The better players win the games and he is pulling better players. I would like to see him pull off an upset or two this year to build some confidence going into 2015.

Two years easy. I am on record. He needs to get the 2015 class inked and on the field. The better players win the games and he is pulling better players. I would like to see him pull off an upset or two this year to build some confidence going into 2015.

Starting in '10, UT's signing classes have avg'd this many stars:

and 3.27 currently.

We're all excited by some of the players being brought in but at least according to Rivals... NSD results really haven't improved that much unless you look at '14 only.

and 3.27 currently.

We're all excited by some of the players being brought in but at least according to Rivals... NSD results really haven't improved that much unless you look at '14 only.

Which is CBJ's first full class ... It's not even football season yet, so you can't go by the current class. Many players will get bumps, as hinted by different services.

Mind you, that 2014 class had 32 players, while still averaging a much higher rating. The difference is significant.

Reactions: 3 people
He'll get 4 at least. It going to take anyone other than Saban that long to fix this mess. It's pretty much a total rebuild. The lines are what's killing us. Being this young in the lines again just sucks.. You have to sprinkle guys in every year. Dooley just sucked and that's about the end of story..

As long as Butch is bringing in top 10 recruiting classes it's foolish to not give him 5 years. The better question is can he hire staff. The defense was a joke to UT standards. Chavis should be offered 5 million a year to come back... BIG BIG mistake losing him! He saved Les Miles job and has single handedly brought LSU back to contend in the West.....

As long as Butch is bringing in top 10 recruiting classes it's foolish to not give him 5 years. The better question is can he hire staff. The defense was a joke to UT standards. Chavis should be offered 5 million a year to come back... BIG BIG mistake losing him! He saved Les Miles job and has single handedly brought LSU back to contend in the West.....

Id say more than likely he'll get that. UT needs coaching stability right now. You know some coordinators will move along, but you just can't hire and fire head coaches like we have and build anything..

and 3.27 currently.

2014 is his only class so yeah that would be looking at it only. The #1 DT in the nation for 2015 and frontrunner for the #2 DT is fine with me. 3.65 with 32 recruits is badass. That was his first class and I believe the 2015 class will be top five as well. The 2010 class was Dooley's best and it was actually Kiffin's. Recruiting has improved significantly.

Realistically. 2015 season will be the season he is judged on. His recruits will be in full cycle and his system will be set. If he has a bad 2015 season, 2016 would be his final season to correct it. Honestly, tennessee football is back. None of you have anything to worry about. I see greatness in this coach. That is a rare thing to see in a coach.

Reactions: 6 people
Realistically. 2015 season will be the season he is judged on. His recruits will be in full cycle and his system will be set. If he has a bad 2015 season, 2016 would be his final season to correct it. Honestly, tennessee football is back. None of you have anything to worry about. I see greatness in this coach. That is a rare thing to see in a coach.

I base all of that off of years of experience In The profession.

Reactions: 4 people
200_s_zps10f69764.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm a big fan of Chief, but the never ending trail of 5* D-lineman that run thru the LSU program has something to do with his success. Have you forgotten 3rd and Chavis? However, I would welcome him back but not at an absurd salary..

Which is CBJ's first full class ... It's not even football season yet, so you can't go by the current class. Many players will get bumps, as hinted by different services.

Mind you, that 2014 class had 32 players, while still averaging a much higher rating. The difference is significant.

I definitely hope you are right but we've all been disappointed by players not getting expected bumps. There's a fair amount of stubbornness with the guys who award the ratings.

I suspect Dormady is a good sight better than a 2*. 247 apparently thinks he's worth 4*. But will the guys at Rivals actually swallow their ego and bump him up that far? History says it is unlikely.

You can easily go back and do the comparison by weighting the avg of the 3 years of each coach by the number of players they signed. The obviously unfair year to hold Jones to is obviously '13 when Dooley left him in a deep, deep hole. But if things don't change with the current class, that class will actually score better than the '15 class. So throw that year out and you have Jones averaging about 3.5 stars and Dooley at about 3.42. if you include that class then obviously Jones' avg so far is worse than Dooley's even if you throw out the headstart Kiffin left him with.

I'm not trying to say these guys won't be better. That I don't know. I'm just saying that according to Rivals actual numbers recruiting has not improved like many think.

So what if he doesn't keep bringing in top 10 classes? Right now it does not appear that the '15 class will rank in the top 10.

IMO given that all CDD had to do to keep his job was to post a 6-6 record in year 3 after two consecutive losing seasons, a similar amount of latitude will be given to CBJ. maybe more, since CDD was an incredible failure as far as relationships with boosters, staff, fans, etc. -- CBJ is pushing the right buttons and that may allow him to stay employed with even worse results on the field.

You are correct. Butch has done one thing that Lane, Derek, and even the Hall-of-Famer late in his tenure was unable to do and that is exactly what you wrote----have full backing by the boosters, administration, former players, and vast majority of fans. Having just the backing of the former players will get Butch one additional year.

Butch gets 5 years unless something extreme happens.

I definitely hope you are right but we've all been disappointed by players not getting expected bumps. There's a fair amount of stubbornness with the guys who award the ratings.

I suspect Dormady is a good sight better than a 2*. 247 apparently thinks he's worth 4*. But will the guys at Rivals actually swallow their ego and bump him up that far? History says it is unlikely.

You can easily go back and do the comparison by weighting the avg of the 3 years of each coach by the number of players they signed. The obviously unfair year to hold Jones to is obviously '13 when Dooley left him in a deep, deep hole. But if things don't change with the current class, that class will actually score better than the '15 class. So throw that year out and you have Jones averaging about 3.5 stars and Dooley at about 3.42. if you include that class then obviously Jones' avg so far is worse than Dooley's even if you throw out the headstart Kiffin left him with.

I'm not trying to say these guys won't be better. That I don't know. I'm just saying that according to Rivals actual numbers recruiting has not improved like many think.

Rivals is not that good of a site. They are better than Scout but that's not saying much. 247 is the best.

So what if he doesn't keep bringing in top 10 classes? Right now it does not appear that the '15 class will rank in the top 10.

What makes you say that? As of now, we are in 6th, and actually only one point off of 5th spot. And we're still in on a lot of talent, guys like tuttle, van Jefferson, Richmond, Phillips, sapp, and on and on. Top 10 class easy.
And your other post trying to use rivals average star total and saying our recruiting hasn't really improved is a joke.
First off, having longsnappers and kickers will drag that avg star ranking down because they don't rank those guys highly. Add in the joke of them having dormady rated a two star while other services consider him a top 200 player factors in.
All it takes is looking at the talent butch Is bringing in with common sense. We have rivals #1 player in the country in McKenzie, 5* Preston Williams, kamara, butcher, Jack Jones, so many guys. And then last years monster class with according to rivals 17 4* and 2 5* players.
To say our recruiting hasn't improved is completely laughable.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back