Climate Change Report

I have no idea where we are at in this game, but I can tell you both sides are wrong. The Earth is more powerful than you are. She birthed you, and she can take you out. She will. She has corrective measures. You know what that means? NO-ONE can buy her. When people are gone, nature will remain. In fact, it has done so 5 times before. What we are trying to do is prevent some of these major catastrophes from happening. Most are already happening, and that's natural. The question is how far do you want to play this game? The weather is a pendulum, the farther it swings in one way, the farther it swings the next, so the question is what's next? I think we've seen that before as well.

You missed your era , you would have fit right in holding hands and singing , while chained to a tree planted on the Berkeley campus surrounded by other love children and their beads … man

Yeah, America is exceptional in every way. Exceptionally corrupt is high on that list.

I agree...follow money and no one has more than DC. Baaaaad things are bound to happen, especially with the now complicit media.

Poor climate change…..
It was the left’s favourite cause once
Then came social justice, structural racism, masks/vaccines, trans rights, and Ukraine.
Sort of like the poor aging cheerleader who can’t comprehend why she isn’t the star of her class reunion

Poor climate change…..
It was the left’s favourite cause once
Then came social justice, structural racism, masks/vaccines, trans rights, and Ukraine.
Sort of like the poor aging cheerleader who can’t comprehend why she isn’t the star of her class reunion
Atmospheric CO2 levels, food security, fresh water depletion, rapidly changing climate, dwindling biosphere, swelling human population… all higher on my personal priority list than literally any of the social issues you rattled off.

Atmospheric CO2 levels, food security, fresh water depletion, rapidly changing climate, dwindling biosphere, swelling human population… all higher on my personal priority list than literally any of the social issues you rattled off.
We should mandate anti inflammatory meds for everyone.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Good good. Mine too. Although I believe climate change is overhyped as a threat, I am scientifically literate enough to realize the t you can’t continue to pump a never ending supply of formerly geologically sequestered carbon into the atmosphere without eventually causing noticeable warming. Unfortunately it has become too politicized to remain the subject of merely scientific debate. I favor any and all moves to deuce CO2 emissions as long as long as they make Economic Sense and don’t strategically disadvantage the US economy. China and India must be equally subject to any agreements that impact the US or there is no Sense In trying

Good good. Mine too. Although I believe climate change is overhyped as a threat, I am scientifically literate enough to realize the t you can’t continue to pump a never ending supply of formerly geologically sequestered carbon into the atmosphere without eventually causing noticeable warming. Unfortunately it has become too politicized to remain the subject of merely scientific debate. I favor any and all moves to deuce CO2 emissions as long as long as they make Economic Sense and don’t strategically disadvantage the US economy. China and India must be equally subject to any agreements that impact the US or there is no Sense In trying
It’s a simple idea that is extremely complex both politically and economically. I’m sensitive to this. A huge problem that has persisted over the decades is that the most proficient in these relevant sciences are often the least skilled at effectively conveying their message. Unfortunately for them, their competing interests are extremely skilled at messaging (or wealthy enough to hire those that are).

Honest question as I’m trying to understand why some folk’s think of climate change in their daily decisions, not inferring you do that, just I know someone who does and I want to be able to understand the mindset better. I know some folks that have become so frightened by some of the climate predictions that they talk of giving up their careers and moving towards the poles and homesteading some property so they can survive the food shortages that are coming. I really don’t know how to discuss the topic as they’re emotional about it and are 100% convinced there’s an impending apocalypse of shorts coming all because of CO2. For those of us with more trips around the sun, we remember the 10 straight days of 100+ degree weather the summer of 1980, the prediction of an impending ice age being predicted in the late 60’s, the ozone hole that was going to burn us all up, nuclear war drills in school (get under your desk). The generations before me lived through 2 world wars and the Cold War.

Life is precarious and uncertain, but the earth’s climate has ebbed and flowed forever. Folks historically move around and adapt. Living under a cloud of doom along with the isolation of many from Covid is really hammering some folk’s mental health it appears to me. Thanks

It’s a simple idea that is extremely complex both politically and economically. I’m sensitive to this. A huge problem that has persisted over the decades is that the most proficient in these relevant sciences are often the least skilled at effectively conveying their message. Unfortunately for them, their competing interests are extremely skilled at messaging (or wealthy enough to hire those that are).
If you don’t think the anti Carbon Lobby doesn’t have an equally vested Financial interest in pushing sales of photovoltaics, batteries, electric vehicles, windmills, and carbon offsets, then you would be missing a large part of the puzzle. It is not a tale of rich greedy fossil fuel billionaires vs ideologicaly pure strictly altruistic green energy idealists as much as Hollywood be the media wish to betray it as such. It is all a question of WHO GETS RICHER, same as it ever was

Honest question as I’m trying to understand why some folk’s think of climate change in their daily decisions, not inferring you do that, just I know someone who does and I want to be able to understand the mindset better. I know some folks that have become so frightened by some of the climate predictions that they talk of giving up their careers and moving towards the poles and homesteading some property so they can survive the food shortages that are coming. I really don’t know how to discuss the topic as they’re emotional about it and are 100% convinced there’s an impending apocalypse of shorts coming all because of CO2. For those of us with more trips around the sun, we remember the 10 straight days of 100+ degree weather the summer of 1980, the prediction of an impending ice age being predicted in the late 60’s, the ozone hole that was going to burn us all up, nuclear war drills in school (get under your desk). The generations before me lived through 2 world wars and the Cold War.

Life is precarious and uncertain, but the earth’s climate has ebbed and flowed forever. Folks historically move around and adapt. Living under a cloud of doom along with the isolation of many from Covid is really hammering some folk’s mental health it appears to me. Thanks
There is no doubt in my mind that we have passed a tipping point with current CO2 levels in the atmosphere with, still, a poor trajectory. The chemistry behind a greenhouse effect is very simple and provable. There is no doubt that man-made carbon emissions have and will continue to effect earth’s climate. That is fact. If you want to debate the exact effects, then that is worth discussing, but there is certainly a consensus from the people who spend their life studying it that it is not good.

A lot of what you mentioned was international political strife. That really doesn't compare in my mind. What does compare (on a much smaller scale) is the dust bowl, the great smog of London, the Cuyahoga River, all of the recent oil spills, Chernobyl, the Seveso Dioxin cloud, Love Canal, the Aral Sea, and on and on with countless man made ecological disasters that we have reacted to rather than heading off.

The ozone is one example where proactive action helped immensely. The Montreal Protocol applied logic and compromise to the problem and allowed the ozone problem to start correcting itself.

I understand the bug-out mentality and a draw to a subsistence lifestyle. Not only is it a smart idea in this context, it is an extremely gratifying way to live if you’re willing to put in the work. I think those people will ultimately last the longest in just about any apocalyptic scenario.

The ultimate problem that most ecological concerns boil down to is population. The earth’s carrying capacity for human life is finite. We have pushed the carrying capacity higher and higher through technological innovation, but it is still a finite number and we are growing at a near exponential rate. This is not sustainable and, like it or not, has to be addressed or else we will face a massive correction that may or may not spell the end of humans. Sounds extreme, but it’s just nature.

Reactions: walkenvol
If you don’t think the anti Carbon Lobby doesn’t have an equally vested Financial interest in pushing sales of photovoltaics, batteries, electric vehicles, windmills, and carbon offsets, then you would be missing a large part of the puzzle. It is not a tale of rich greedy fossil fuel billionaires vs ideologicaly pure strictly altruistic green energy idealists as much as Hollywood be the media wish to betray it as such. It is all a question of WHO GETS RICHER, same as it ever was

4 or 5 decades ago that very much was the narrative, of course it has evolved.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have passed a tipping point with current CO2 levels in the atmosphere with, still, a poor trajectory. The chemistry behind a greenhouse effect is very simple and provable. There is no doubt that man-made carbon emissions have and will continue to effect earth’s climate. That is fact. If you want to debate the exact effects, then that is worth discussing, but there is certainly a consensus from the people who spend their life studying it that it is not good.

A lot of what you mentioned was international political strife. That really doesn't compare in my mind. What does compare (on a much smaller scale) is the dust bowl, the great smog of London, the Cuyahoga River, all of the recent oil spills, Chernobyl, the Seveso Dioxin cloud, Love Canal, the Aral Sea, and on and on with countless man made ecological disasters that we have reacted to rather than heading off.

The ozone is one example where proactive action helped immensely. The Montreal Protocol applied logic and compromise to the problem and allowed the ozone problem to start correcting itself.

I understand the bug-out mentality and a draw to a subsistence lifestyle. Not only is it a smart idea in this context, it is an extremely gratifying way to live if you’re willing to put in the work. I think those people will ultimately last the longest in just about any apocalyptic scenario.

The ultimate problem that most ecological concerns boil down to is population. The earth’s carrying capacity for human life is finite. We have pushed the carrying capacity higher and higher through technological innovation, but it is still a finite number and we are growing at a near exponential rate. This is not sustainable and, like it or not, has to be addressed or else we will face a massive correction that may or may not spell the end of humans. Sounds extreme, but it’s just nature.
What's the max human population before climate disaster hits?

Reactions: Vol8188 and hog88
What's the max human population before climate disaster hits?
That would be better opined by a biologist, ecologist, or the like. It has been debated for a long time. If I had to guess as a lay person I would say 10ish billion without any further technological advances.

That would be better opined by a biologist, ecologist, or the like. It has been debated for a long time. If I had to guess as a lay person I would say 10ish billion without any further technological advances.

That technology thingy is really slowing down too. Gonna be a rough ride.

VN Store

Back