Climate Change Report

Where does the oil companies get to pump oil on government land without paying royalties?
Not a direct answer to your question but has some interesting points behind some of the lawsuits..
Millions Own Gas And Oil Under Their Land. Here's Why Only Some Strike It Rich
He says Chesapeake Energy, which operates four wells on his farm, is stealing from him, and he has joined a class-action lawsuit against the company. Chesapeake, which declined to comment for this story, is defending itself against lawsuits in at least seven states for allegedly underpaying royalties.

By Barrett's calculations, Chesapeake owes him hundreds of thousands of dollars for the gas it has pumped out of his farm. The company has said in the past that it is committed to working with its royalty owners to answer questions.

Not a direct answer to your question but has some interesting points behind some of the lawsuits..
He says Chesapeake Energy, which operates four wells on his farm, is stealing from him, and he has joined a class-action lawsuit against the company. Chesapeake, which declined to comment for this story, is defending itself against lawsuits in at least seven states for allegedly underpaying royalties.

By Barrett's calculations, Chesapeake owes him hundreds of thousands of dollars for the gas it has pumped out of his farm. The company has said in the past that it is committed to working with its royalty owners to answer questions.

Does he have a contract with them?

I think the validity of and adherence to the contracts is what will be decided in court.
It's almost like the big oil companies had better lawyers than the farmer.

Indeed. Where could anyone ever find an attorney willing to go after a billion dollar corporation?

I think the validity of and adherence to the contracts is what will be decided in court.
It's almost like the big oil companies had better lawyers than the farmer.

I admittedly am ignorant of the law.

I only ask because I was told this week that contract law is easy…mostly open and shut. You should give him RT85’s name.

Reactions: hog88
I think we should end all special perks. But at this particular moment, I'd prefer we work on getting gas prices down for a minute.

Sounds like your issue is with the gov't. Nothing wrong with lobbying for what you want. That's how our system works
Meh, my issue is with both. Being a large, profitable company/industry shouldn’t be most important determinate to get you what you want.

I view industry lobbies and government as one problem, not mutually exclusive. The K street project is case-in-point. K street exists for politicians, and politicians exists for K street unfortunately.

Meh, my issue is with both. Being a large, profitable company/industry shouldn’t be most important determinate to get you what you want.

I view industry lobbies and government as one problem, not mutually exclusive. The K street project is case-in-point. K street exists for politicians, and politicians exists for K street unfortunately.
Don't you work in the medical industry? If ever one industry profits from lobbying, it's your business. You think the oil and gas industry is profiting from the government rules, take a look in the mirror because your paycheck is not without some (a lot) of government help.

My question was about government/public land. Your link is just a contract dispute between private parties that has no bearing on the topic.

Should those states and cities run competing ads that detail how much the communities have lost in tax revenue from subsidies provided to the fossil fuel industry over the last 100 years?
Sure. That will help their feelz when the temperature is 20 below in the winter and they have no heating oil.

All hail government, right?

Reactions: hog88
Don't you work in the medical industry? If ever one industry profits from lobbying, it's your business. You think the oil and gas industry is profiting from the government rules, take a look in the mirror because your paycheck is not without some (a lot) of government help.
Well, if you had read back just one or two comments you could see my thoughts on that exact issue.

They'd be idiots not to lobby for everything they can get from the gov't.

They'd be idiots not to lobby for everything they can get from the gov't.
With our current system, that’s right. Doesn’t mean it’s the best practice. It’s just a vicious cycle that is lucrative for all parties involved.

I have no idea where we are at in this game, but I can tell you both sides are wrong. The Earth is more powerful than you are. She birthed you, and she can take you out. She will. She has corrective measures. You know what that means? NO-ONE can buy her. When people are gone, nature will remain. In fact, it has done so 5 times before. What we are trying to do is prevent some of these major catastrophes from happening. Most are already happening, and that's natural. The question is how far do you want to play this game? The weather is a pendulum, the farther it swings in one way, the farther it swings the next, so the question is what's next? I think we've seen that before as well.

VN Store

Back