Cleveland Dropping Indians Name

They should go back to the Cleveland Spiders.
And back to the old uniforms
165px-Cy_Yoyng_1891.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 508mikey
I still think for teams like the Chiefs/Braves, there is a common ground that can be found. For example, the Warriors ditched all Native American ties to their name and nobody ever talks about them. It will be hard for the Chiefs though. The Braves are already distancing themselves from it with the chop and everything.

Has to be. Chiefs too.
Personally, I don’t see how Chiefs or Braves are offensive. Chieftons were in many other cultures. Braves are no different than Vikings, Warriors, etc. It is a group of warriors. Their logos aren’t offensive. Not everything has to be offensive. Indians is completely understandable though.

Reactions: golfballs
Personally, I don’t see how Chiefs or Braves are offensive. Chieftons were in many other cultures. Braves are no different than Vikings, Warriors, etc. It is a group of warriors. Their logos aren’t offensive. Not everything has to be offensive. Indians is completely understandable though.
But everything IS offensive

Reactions: 508mikey
But everything IS offensive
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. And if you’re not, I’m trying to be purely genuine- how are the Chiefs or Braves offensive? Not looking to start an argument at all. Merely wanting to see another perspective.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. And if you’re not, I’m trying to be purely genuine- how are the Chiefs or Braves offensive? Not looking to start an argument at all. Merely wanting to see another perspective.
You would have to ask the people offended how it’s offensive. There are plenty of people protesting both names.

The truth is, everything that has ever been done and will ever be done is offensive to someone. The problem is that we as a society are moving away from shrugging off minor offenses or being willing the impact change or improve behavior around significant offenses for the sake of whining and crying about other people’s actions that we do not even know or come into contact with.

A different but still equally important issue stemming from this, is the complete erasure of the line of what’s actually deemed to be offensive.

Reactions: Wickman

That’s how I see it too in terms to Chiefs and Braves. Those are specific group of people as you said like Vikings (I find it odd that the “Fighting Irish” hasn’t been brought up more considering the stereotype of Irish people fighting and everything that entails, but it’s Notre Dame, so...).

The one that bothered me the most was Washington’s team name because of the history of it. Indians not as much but I’m fine with the name change (and that hideous logo).

They'll be coming after the local High School that I graduated from next.

Once and always an Indian!

Seen one report that stated they believe the new name could be the Cleveland Citizens :eek:

VN Store

Back