Clay Travis Claims Multiple 5* Silent Commits

It's not a mythologized silent commit. It's a regular thing. Happens all the time. I just showed two examples from this class, and those were just two kids I bothered to look up.

As far as Keyton, he called the day after the O&W game (4/17) and then announced publically a month later on 5/16.

You seriously do not follow recruiting at all if you don't think silent commitments is a real thing. Which isn't a bad thing - not following recruiting closely. Hell, I wish I didn't follow it as closely as I did. But when you don't, like you clearly don't, then don't pop off like a know it all on something you know little about. Especially when provided examples that directly contradict you.

The Orange and White game was the 21st.

You are clearly upset by my comments, so it's best that the conversation ends here. Remember, it's just college football recruiting! Nothing personal.

BTW--I think Pappoe and Wright are gonna sign with Tennessee ;)

I have followed recruiting and Hubbs long enough to know that some (not all) kids privately commit or at least give the staff the indication that they are coming. Some follow through, and others take more visits and go elsewhere. But, Hubbs gets it directly from the staff, and there have been countless stories on kids doing it.

That's not really how the term is used though. Most kids tell a staff beforehand, definitely, but it typically doesn't play out like the alleged silent commits. There's also the question of the source--staffs wouldn't like it getting reported that they got stunned by the announcement.

That's not really how the term is used though. Most kids tell a staff beforehand, definitely, but it typically doesn't play out like the alleged silent commits. There's also the question of the source--staffs wouldn't like it getting reported that they got stunned by the announcement.
None of what you are saying makes sense, and I am blaming you for my headache. 6 of 7 posts all about how silent commits dont exist, or how the term is used/misused. Good grief.

Can we delete this thread, please?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but the commitments normally occur on a visit. Whether or not the staff thinks it's a solid commitment is another story. But, a "silent" commitment to coaches is nothing unusual, especially as we get closer to NSD. They want to announce it on their own terms.

Just basing it on own experience and perception. It's hard to prove either way. But if you tallied the number of times a recruit has been called a "silent" to another school, damn near the entire top 300 kids in the rankings would be included. If you could (privately) ask coaches whether or not someone was a silent commit to their school, they'd be much less secure about it, even if they did receive word that they are the favorite.
Ok, let me get this straight. You are having an ongoing discussion/disagreement about your disbelief in the existence of "silent commits" dismissing objective evidence and examples of reasons for the silent commits in the past. You are basing your side of the argument entirely on an anecdotal, subjective gut feeling?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but the commitments normally occur on a visit. Whether or not the staff thinks it's a solid commitment is another story. But, a "silent" commitment to coaches is nothing unusual, especially as we get closer to NSD. They want to announce it on their own terms.

It seems that we're arguing two different things.

If the definition of "silent commit" is a recruit who tells the staff beforehand that they will commit later, then basically every commit is a silent. Even the kids that tell a coach a week before their announcement. That's not really what I'm talking about, because we just regard those as commits. HoleInTheRoof brought up Keyton, but Keyton went public less than a month after telling the coaches.

I'm talking about guys like Pappoe or any number of recruits that were supposedly silent commits. The ones who allegedly plan to flip months down the road or wait an unusually long time. Of course I'm not going to deny that kids will tell coaches "I'm planning on signing with you" but even the coaches themselves have a hard time regarding it as a commitment when they will still take visits and still don't want it out there.

Ok, let me get this straight. You are having an ongoing discussion/disagreement about your disbelief in the existence of "silent commits" dismissing objective evidence and examples of reasons for the silent commits in the past. You are basing your side of the argument entirely on an anecdotal, subjective gut feeling?
You don't believe in Sasquatches either?

If the definition of "silent commit" is a recruit who tells the staff beforehand that they will commit later, then basically every commit is a silent. Even the kids that tell a coach a week before their announcement. That's not really what I'm talking about, because we just regard those as commits. HoleInTheRoof brought up Keyton, but Keyton went public less than a month after telling the coaches.

I'm talking about guys like Pappoe or any number of recruits that were supposedly silent commits. The ones who allegedly plan to flip months down the road or wait an unusually long time. Of course I'm not going to deny that kids will tell coaches "I'm planning on signing with you" but even the coaches themselves have a hard time regarding it as a commitment when they will still take visits and still don't want it out there.

Why does the concept bother you? Serious question.

You are free to define it how you choose. But yes, a silent commit is one that has not been made public. Darnell Wright has not committed anywhere and could be silent until he decides to make it public.

Pappoe is a little different because he is currently publicly committed to another school. If he has told our coaches in private that he is coming to UT, then it’s still silent. It’s up to the coaches to believe if it’s going to happen or not. You are making this more difficult than it should be.

Silent commits sometimes change and sometimes they stick with it. Still doesn’t change the fact that some kids give a commitment privately and then publicly announce later. And, no, not every kid does it. There are times when coaches are waiting for decisions like everyone else.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
He wrote a book about Fulmer’s last year and spent that season embedded with the team. It was actually very good.

That book got him banned. Clay Travis hasn't known anything about the Vols since 2008.

Purely trying to stretch out his 15 minutes of fame by drumming up some hits on his website.

That book got him banned. Clay Travis hasn't known anything about the Vols since 2008.

Purely trying to stretch out his 15 minutes of fame by drumming up some hits on his website.

Fifteen minutes? He has a national radio show and a national TV show. I don't love the guy but I tip my hat to his success.

Speaking for myself only, it's not that I have a hard time believing that a so called "silent commit" happens nowadays, it's more that I have a hard time believing Pruitt is stupid enough to tell Clay Travis or someone who might tell Clay Travis such information. Moreover, I doubt Pruitt or any other decent college coach (who are generally all men of the world) put much stock in the "silent commit". What if a girl silent committed to go to prom with you when you were high school? What would that be worth? Understand, I'm not saying we don't get Wright or Pappoe, or anyone else, I'm just not that excited or impressed by this information. There are people on here with great insight into football and the program, etc., but in my humble opinion, this sounds like what I said off the top "classic message board BS". Well now, it's been fun, I'm off to show a couple of townhouses off to Cindy Gruden. ;)

Reactions: VolGrizz

Why would he get banned for On Rocky Top? It was an honest account of what he saw that season.

And lol at stretching out his 15 minutes of fame. He went from being a Nashville radio host to being on Fox Sports every day. More like 15 years of fame.

Maybe not the time or place for my opinion but I personally wish somehow the public commitment could go the way of the dinosaurs. Many times it creates more chaos, confusion, and hard feelings than it creates confidence. I think all the recruiting sites have created this monster and it likely won’t go away anytime soon.

VN Store

Back