Class of 07 Football Recruting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stars mean nothing people.Atleast we are finally keeping some instate talent.We have to keep the top ranked instate guys.Smith,Donald,and Sykes would definatley help.We need guys who know about wearing orange.What it means 2 wear orange.Those guys that have always dreamed about being a vol will play harder than some 5* recruit just looking toward the NFL.

Stars mean nothing people.Atleast we are finally keeping some instate talent.We have to keep the top ranked instate guys.Smith,Donald,and Sykes would definatley help.We need guys who know about wearing orange.What it means 2 wear orange.Those guys that have always dreamed about being a vol will play harder than some 5* recruit just looking toward the NFL.

Recruiting stars may not mean anything, but that doesn't mean that we don't set our sites on 4 and 5 star guys first and foremost. Our inability to land them doesn't mean that Fulmer was looking for guys that will "play harder". It means he had to settle, because he couldn't get the 5 star player he originally wanted. That's just a fact.

some of you guys just kill me, yes recruiting is an inexact science, yes some 4 & 5 star guys are a bust, but the overwhelming majority of highly rated guys turn out to me major talents. You seem to be trying to convince yourself that we want these 1 and 2 star guys because that's what we have right now is a list of guys that chose us over Marshall, Kentucky, or Texas Tech. You might want to ask yourself how many stars Peyton had coming out of high school.

So if satrs did not matter then why do all majors programs go after the 4 and 5 star guys and the high school all americans.

So Southern Cal's success as well as Texas has nothing to do with the fact that they have had top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes for the last few years based upon "star" players!!!!!!!!!

Given what happened in the UF game, is anyone concerned that UT has one commitment from an OL and no commits from defensive linemen out of 13 total commits? I realize there may be a couple of oversized LBs in the UT group who can be converted to DE but doesn't that pretty much guarantee that they will not be starting for a year or two as they bulk up and learn the position?

UGA has commits from 6 OL and 4 DE out of 18 total commits.
UF has commits from 3 OL and 3 DL out of 16 total commits.

Given what happened in the UF game, is anyone concerned that UT has one commitment from an OL and no commits from defensive linemen out of 13 total commits? I realize there may be a couple of oversized LBs in the UT group who can be converted to DE but doesn't that pretty much guarantee that they will not be starting for a year or two as they bulk up and learn the position?

Yeah it is worrisome, I also wonder why in recent years when we have had highly touted O-line recruits they severely underachieve.

The Vols appear to be heavy with young linemen. If I read it right, there are only two Sr's on each side of the ball. They probably have a one year luxury of recruiting quality instead of quantity. DT will be a big need if UT doesn't get a couple of good ones this year. They appear to be in the hunt for Austin and other high school players as well as some highly regarded JC tackles.

The Vols look rich in Fr/Soph offensive linemen in particular. I hope they play them this year for experience.

Tennessee Football Roster

IMO, the most common weakness year over year for UT is the secondary. Judging from expected losses, UT will probably be weakest next year in the secondary and @ WR. If they could land one of the top five RB's, that wouldn't hurt either.

This has got me thinking. Here's a list of top offensive linemen who are not yet comitted for 2007 and who have expressed at least some interest in UT. If anyone has an idea on whether any of these guys will commit to the Vols let's hear it.

1. Ryan Miller Columbine, CO
2. Kristofer O'Dowd Tuscon, AZ
3. Matt Romine Tulsa, OK
4. John Elliot East Meadow, NY
5. Mitchell Schwartz Palisades Park, CA
6. Stuart Hines Bowling Green, KY
7. Javario Burkes Phoenix, AZ
8. Kevin Bryant Lauderdale Lakes, FL
9. Mike Matamua Hawaii
10. Chase Dumphord Paris, KY
11. Lee Ziemba Rogers, AR

There was a DT from Maryland at the Florida game, he said UT set the bar very high and it would be hard to beat them. Rufus Williams a DE from Florida said UT is "way, way out in front" and he is basically a verbal commitment.

Brent Vinson is now a 5 star player, also the #2 prep player and Gerald Williams is a 4 star...Its on rivals.

I only live about 20mins from Huntington and I am going to go see one of Donalds games in a few weeks. People say he's the real deal.

I will try to do some recruiting lol.
I heard Notre Dame still has a shot with Chris Donald. It appeared he was ready to commit to tennessee a few weeks ago but backed away. He then visited Notre Dame and has been quiet every since he got back. Hopefully Tennessee will still get him. However I'm worried. Go Vols!

Eternally optimistic....but yeah, that's scarry...

I think we will be OK at D-Line the next couple of years. We have the following players plus Gerald Williams if he ever gets here. We are also in the running for a couple of the top DT in the country, and you can never count our staff out when it comes to recruiting. We have some decent young talent on the OL, but probably need to add a couple of more players.

Robert Ayers-So.
Demonte Bolden-So.
Wes Brown-Fr.
Walter Fisher-So.
Jared Hostetter-Jr.
J.T. Mapu-Jr.
Xavier Mitchell-Jr.
Chase Nelson-Fr.
Antonio Reynolds-Jr.
Jarrod Shaw-Fr.
Victor Thomas-Fr.

I can't wait to see Brent Vinson in action. Looks like he may be the answer to our kickoff and punt return problems. He may be another Mark Jones... not talent wise... but playing both ways. Or like CJ Gamble did at Ohio State. Whatever he plays, looks like he's a playmaker. Also, it'd be nice if we could finally get Gerald Williams out there playing under the lights of Neyland Stadium.

I can't wait to see Brent Vinson in action. Looks like he may be the answer to our kickoff and punt return problems. He may be another Mark Jones... not talent wise... but playing both ways. Or like CJ Gamble did at Ohio State. Whatever he plays, looks like he's a playmaker. Also, it'd be nice if we could finally get Gerald Williams out there playing under the lights of Neyland Stadium.

I hope so. I can't figure out with all the speed we have on our team why we can't find a decent KR/PR man. I think Hefney is doing a decent job at PR, but you can't afford to have him back there and get hurt. Our special teams are pitiful.

Rob Lewis on Volquest is reporting that Deshaun Barnes of Tallahassee has committed to Tennessee. He and his teammate Tim Lamb (DT) announced tonight on ESPNU, I believe, and he picked the Big Orange. It's a surprise because Florida St. usually lock down recruits in that area.. Some posters on the Volquest board seem to think that he will switch commits after he visits FSU on Jan. 26. He visits us 2 weeks before that and LSU the week in between.

Here is some info. on him...

Deshaun Barnes - 6'2", 195, 4.4 Speed, Rated a 5.7 on Rivals Scale, Only 3 stars but has offers from Florida, FSU, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, and UCLA. Projects to be an outside linebacker in college, so his size and speed will fit perfectly into Chavis' style.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Gerald Williams was rated the #9 prep player in the nation, 4 stars, and is up to 6'4" 245. Once again, he was added to our commit list.
Brent Vinson was also added to the list, this time as a 5 star player, and the #2 prep player in the nation. It says he had over 400 yards against West Virginia's team.

From everything I've heard, it's just a matter of time till he is upgraded to a 4 star. For whatever reason, no one seems too confident that he will stay with the commitment as FSU will continue to pursue him. Sounds like a great pick-up though! Go VOLS!!!

Why would he commit if he's going to change after a visit somewhere else? Does he really even need to visit FSU? He friggin lives in Tallahassee.

Not really just attacking him... but the whole commit one place then de-commit later seems dumb. Make up your mind, thousands of adult's lives are hanging on your every decision!

Gotta love recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back