CJP not as hyped about the O-line as he was.

VolsnRavens

This article says a lot. But watch the video of Trey Smith. If it weren't for the fact that he did it to another TN player, it would be comical. But it does tell you why we need him back. The difference in our O-line with and without him is so immense. Here's to hoping he stays healthy and can reach his potential.

Jeremy Pruitt doesn't sound as optimistic as he did when camp started

I don’t think the article says anything but what may be expected from fall camp at any level. No coach tells any player or position group that they are where they need to be anytime of year but especially in the first week of practice. There is always room for improvement.

This article says a lot. But watch the video of Trey Smith. If it weren't for the fact that he did it to another TN player, it would be comical. But it does tell you why we need him back. The difference in our O-line with and without him is so immense. Here's to hoping he stays healthy and can reach his potential.

I wouldn't really think too much of Trey laying out that kid. It still shows impressive strength, but: (1) Trey is supposed to be non-contact so 53 was clearly not going game speed, (2) 53's footwork was atrocious even for half-speed--he was already on his heels when he made contact with Trey, and (3) I'm not even sure who that was--the article I saw said Dawson Stephens, but the official roster lists that guy as a DL and the defense practices in orange. Maybe they flipped him to OL for more depth, but the depth issues at DL would seem to be the more pressing need. Ultimately, you're either talking about a transfer from Stetson that is so inexperienced at DL that hius name doesn't even come up in discussions of the 3-deep, or walk-on that isn't even on the official roster, going at half to three-quarters speed against a former freshman all-american, freak athlete, that really wants to hit someone and is clearly going full speed.

TL;DR: Looks more like a sucker punch than anything else and the coaches yelling seem to confirm that to me.

Coach Pruitt...well, he'll come around...believe he's a little biased...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Offensive lines take time to build, and there's no shortcut to success. Individual talent isn't as important as guys working together, and getting experience working together. If we can maintain the same five guys on the line throughout the season, with or without Trey, we should see improvement if Fitzgerald's S&C program translates to the field.

I didn't listen to whatever press conference Pruitt said that in, but again it sounded like he said they're nowhere close to deciding who the starters are, not that they all suck. He just hasn't figured out the top 5 players (or doesn't want to let other teams no that he has). I think it's pretty clear that Morris, Kennedy, Tatum, and Smith if he's healthy will be playing. One of Carvin, Calbert, or Locklear will be starting at the other guard spot (potentially two of them pending Smith). Obviously Wright will pushing for that RT job soon, and you still got Jahmir and Ryan Johnson right there as well.

Reactions: livefaith and sjt18

I don’t like AtoZ’s material. They are always trying to put a spin on something. Either that or they just don’t have an intimate knowledge of our program, or they just aren’t very good.

Pruitt has said we have about 10 OLs that could start. That is saying much more than he ever has about our OL. He just isn’t close to picking which 5 are actually going to.

That said, Pruitt is not an OL guy and our young D held it’s own against our OL. It’s what we want to hear, but it’s not necessarily a good thing. It either means Rocker has coached these guys up very well and they have put in the work and gotten better, or Friend and Chaney are failing to get our OL prepared in a big way.

That said, our D knows our O better than most will. So, there is that.

Last edited:
I wouldn't really think too much of Trey laying out that kid. It still shows impressive strength, but: (1) Trey is supposed to be non-contact so 53 was clearly not going game speed, (2) 53's footwork was atrocious even for half-speed--he was already on his heels when he made contact with Trey, and (3) I'm not even sure who that was--the article I saw said Dawson Stephens, but the official roster lists that guy as a DL and the defense practices in orange. Maybe they flipped him to OL for more depth, but the depth issues at DL would seem to be the more pressing need. Ultimately, you're either talking about a transfer from Stetson that is so inexperienced at DL that hius name doesn't even come up in discussions of the 3-deep, or walk-on that isn't even on the official roster, going at half to three-quarters speed against a former freshman all-american, freak athlete, that really wants to hit someone and is clearly going full speed.

TL;DR: Looks more like a sucker punch than anything else and the coaches yelling seem to confirm that to me.
Yeah that looks like a Freshman or walk-on that was letting up.

Well...that would make sense...since...NOBODY on this PLANET should be "hyped" about the Tennessee Vols Offensive Line...

Till they prove otherwise.

1*gr6ZA7LgPr2d37GBRBB12g.gif

QBdied.gif

2018-09-19-Tennessee-RB-tackled-in-backfield-against-3-man-line.gif

fumble.gif

2018-09-19-Tennessee-RB-tackles-in-backfield.gif

Reactions: Catbone and Titan05
It means those 7+ win dreams of grandeur are just that..
No it doesn't. It also doesn't mean he's less optimistic. It simply means there is an on-going competition to see who the best 5 are. Where this writer got that he was less optimistic just because he has not named a starting 5 is a mystery.

Fake News:

Meanwhile, VQ produces a more accurate summation here (see #3)

VolQuest - The Monday 3-2-1

That’s a walk on hence why he isn’t on the roster at this point considering it was a spring roster with the added additions of the summer recruits.

Pruitt does not know who the staring five on the o line are yet? Better right an article about it. I hope there is some serious competition making it a tough decision on who to start.

Our season hinges on the O line. Injuries or lack of development may mean the difference between going bowling or not. Bowl games at least give the team more practice time to get things sorted.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I believe OP's, and the rest who agree with this take, comprehension skills need a little work. All CJP is saying is that we have more competition than we've had in the past and we simply can't pick 5 right now. doesn't mean it is great competition, but it means no 5 are head and shoulders above the rest. Any other take is a media fueled headline that is meant to generate clicks on the web. Congrats, you fell for it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Butch should have been fired on the field for instructing the offensive line to do that to Peterman.

Yeah, I tried to block most of the Florida/Tenn games out of my mind. Remind me again why the line decided to look like statues? I forgot the deal with that........

Offensive lines take time to build, and there's no shortcut to success. Individual talent isn't as important as guys working together, and getting experience working together. If we can maintain the same five guys on the line throughout the season, with or without Trey, we should see improvement if Fitzgerald's S&C program translates to the field.
this. and it's after scrimmage #1. all the news, good and bad, from this weekend is all still a work in progress.....

honestly, i wouldn't expect a ton of praise on most positions/position groups after the 1st scrimmage.

VN Store

Back