Cincinnati Postgame Report

Fulkerson had a double double today which was huge in a defensive slugfest and this is a better quality win than the one over Colorado.

This post got me thinking about double doubles. This team could set some records.

I’d like to know what the record is for most players with double doubles in a game. Is it 3? Is it 4? Also when was the last time we had 2 in one game? 3 in one game? What’s the season record for most games with multiple double double players in games in a single season?

And triple doubles. Seems like Tyler Smith had the first one ever. Has anybody else ever had a triple double?

Auburn will beat us by 10. Our guys can't defend the 3. I've a Rec team that does a better job.
I think the scout against Cincy was that they were suspect from long range. We got burnt on a few threes but negated their offense from the paint.The defensive game plan against auburn would be night and day compared to the cincy game.

Team will start coming together as Johnson an Springer develop,,,,, This may be Barnes best defensive team by far. Once Barnes gets his rotation set Tennessee will take off !!

Reactions: ArdentVol
My biggest observation through 2 games is that no one seems to be really looking to take a shot. Our offense seems almost unselfish to a fault. I know this team doesn’t have any natural 1a/1b scorer options that we necessarily need to run the offense through. However, defenses have so far seem to have success playing a packed in zone that we haven’t been able to bust yet.

We can overcome that by 1) attacking the basket with our freshman/guards/JJJ/Santi to his left), 2) making more outside shots 3) getting better playmaking when we feed it into the top of ft line soft spot. Grant Willams was always so good catching it there, facing up, and creating a shot for him or a perimeter shooter. Zones are gimmicky in the long run, our squad is too good and well-coached to not overcome this issue.

Fortunately, we know the talent is there, and I think our two freshman guards are going to improve leaps and bounds during SEC play, plus JJJ is finally healthy and currently averaging a quiet 8pts/6rbs/3assists (that stat line will only get better).

I think this issue will sort itself out soon, the cream will rise to the top (and the rotation will slightly decrease as roles become established) and we’ll have the offensive firepower to match our already stingy defense.

Neither of the freshman are afraid to take a shot IMO. I look for both to be go to guys when we need a basket. These two guys are different.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I thought Tennessee's free throw shooting was outstanding. If you can hit 25 out of 30 you will win a lot of games. That is over 80%.

Neither of the freshman are afraid to take a shot IMO. I look for both to be go to guys when we need a basket. These two guys are different.
I see no hesitancy from Johnson or Springer in taking the shots, especially when one presents itself.

Reactions: VOLED
Dang Bailey sees his minutes drop
25% and BTO disappears. If his minutes drop below 20 he might delete his account I guess

Once we get our footing with a few more games, the offense will start catching up with the defense, and then......OH MY!

Reactions: ArdentVol
1. This team is a supercharged V-8 that is hitting on 5 cylinders, right now. Chemistry is not there, yet, and you can tell that they haven't had a ton of practice running together. The assists are down, and the sloppy TOs are up. The raw talent is evident, but they are not yet cohesive in the way a lot of our fans who will meet at the watercooler Monday to discuss how disappointed they are, would like them to be. That is understandable to a point, but it is also why some of us warned against the early, gaudy expectations for this team. Covid, grad transfers, and the freshman transition weren't likely to make for an immediate finished product on the floor. You were warned, but now you see it manifested.

2. We still don't have a PG, and I'm not certain that Jaden Springer isn't pur best eventual option. @BruinVol and I both stated that belief, last year, but it still seems to be a possibility. Vescovi is a nice player, but he just doesn't handle the ball well enough to make me totally comfortable with him as the man bringing the ball up in crunch time. Springer isn't Jordsn Bone with the ball, either, but he is much more of a threat to get to the basket, and Vescovi is the better spot-on shooter.

3. Our frontline was 8-25, today, after shooting a combined 7-29 against Colorado. They have to be more efficient. As a team, we missed probably a dozen shots right around the rim. Hopefully, that is a sign of a lack of practice, but it has to be fixed. We can't win with a frontline being that inefficient.

4. That same frontline dominated the boards, today, however, and made Cincy earn their points outside and in transition. They really defended well and took care of second chances for Cincy on the offensive glass. We had 14 offensive boards ourselves. Great job on what was a big weakness, last year.

5. FTs were huge. Hard to believe we shot 30 FTs to Cincy's 7, but we don't win without them. Glad to see us shoot 83%, too. We attacked the rim and earned a lot of those opportunities.

6. Olivier Nkamhoua doesn't need to be seeing the floor, right now. He is a non-factor for positive plays, and a frequent contributor to negative ones. In 14 minutes, this season, he has 2 pts on 1-4 shooting, 0 rebs, 0 blks, 0 assts, 0 steals, 2 TOs, and 2 fouls.

7. Pons was much better offensively, today. His rebounding wasn't nearly as good, but he finished with 8 pts, 4 rebs, and 2 blks.

8. Keon Johnson had another solid effort. Shows the most promise of any player on our roster, followed by Springer, IMO. KJ: 7 pts, 6 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk. Cut his TOs from 5 to 2. Springer: 11 pts, 4 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl, and only 1 TO in 25 minutes.

9. JJJ filled the stat sheet again with 8 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts, 3 stls but also had 3 TOs playing a little more PG, today than vs Colorado, and missed another couple shots right at the rim, shooting a really inefficient 1-5. He has to finish better because he can get to the rim.

10. It's again pretty impressive to win by 9 when you shoot 32% as a team. Our defense, outside of several open 3s we allowed, was again fantastic. We forced Cincy to beat us from outside, which they are not typically a great shooting team, but today they capitalized on those shots to keep it close. If we shoot even 40%, we likely win by 15 points. In addition to playing great D, we got to the FT line at a better than 4:1 ratio, and got their best players in foul trouble, yet still couldn't capitalize because we couldn't score. That has to get fixed and is likely tied to point #1. As with Colorado, a better team would have beaten us today. Fortunately, we had enough to hold Cincy off. Hopefully in this stretch of winnable games, we afford ourselves more opportunities to get the offense on the same page, get the guys some confidence on offense, and build chemistry with reps in practice and in games.

Very good analysis. A couple of things I would add re: Vescovi. He's the guy you want at the FT line with the game on the line. So, in the final minute, when the other team is fouling to extend the game, you want the ball in Vescovi's hands. As you mentioned, bringing the ball up the court is not his strength, but he is the best FT shooter and best at dealing the ball. I think he needs to attack the lane more and dish the ball to our bigs. Probably need to pick and roll with him more, but that's not much of an option against the zone D's we've seen the last 2 games. Until we start busting zones, we'll probably see a lot of zone D. As Barnes stated, they've only practiced sparingly against 2-3 zone, no time on 1-3-1. So, attacking zones will probably be a point of emphasis in the next few weeks. I'm also encouraged that Barnes, who is highly critical of his players, seems relatively pleased with where the team is right now.

I am surprised Plavsic didn't play against the Cincy bigs. I would have liked to have seen that. But, our smaller, quicker guys got them in foul trouble.

We looked like the Lady Vols shooting around the rim. I can't remember the men missing so many point blank shots. That will not happen again. If we hit half of those, we probably win by 15+.

Is there any significantly different with what we are doing on offense compared to last year?

pons seemed to get a lot more touches on the perimeter which led to 3 pt open shots a year ago. Certainly didn’t have anything like that today
We've been facing mostly zone D the first 2 games. When we've faced man (the start of game 1), we've rolled. Against zone, we have stalled. Barnes said they have only practiced against a 2-3 and very little time spent on that--no practice against 1-3-1. I suspect mainly because he's emphasizing our man D in practice, which is elite. We'll start busting zones in the next few games, then we'll be off to the races!

Agree with you on Vescovi’s defense. To be honest through two games I’m not sure there’s a player in the rotation who one could confidently say is not an above average defender in college basketball
Did you mean play JJJ at power forward?
Yes play him at the 4 a little. Anosike is 6'7" JJJ is 6'6" with long arms with good timing and athleticism for rebounding. Just one more option and could create some matchup problems. He is a little light but so is Fulkerson.

Agree with you on Vescovi’s defense. To be honest through two games I’m not sure there’s a player in the rotation who one could confidently say is not an above average defender in college basketball
Did you mean play JJJ at power forward?

You could easily say Way above average defensively. They could easily be in the top 10 in the country nationally defensively - both points allowed per game, shooting percentage allowed, turnovers --- it's early but they show signs of being great defensively.

25% and BTO disappears. If his minutes drop below 20 he might delete his account I guess

It’s obvious at this point that both Springer and Johnson should be playing more minutes than Bailey. And it will get more obvious as those two get more comfortable.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Started, more minutes than Keon or Jaden, more minutes than just about everyone projected him to get, especially you...not sure why you’d want to try and use this game to support your opinion he was a waste of a scholarship.

It’s obvious at this point that both Springer and Johnson should be playing more minutes than Bailey. And it will get more obvious as those two get more comfortable.
I think you will see a balance, as I’ve stated all along...I never said Bailey would play 35 and those guys less than 10mpg, I expect all 3 to average very similar MPG as I’ve always stated.

Started, more minutes than Keon or Jaden, more minutes than just about everyone projected him to get, especially you...not sure why you’d want to try and use this game to support your opinion he was a waste of a scholarship.

I wasn’t using this game to support that opinion I was making a joke

Very good analysis. A couple of things I would add re: Vescovi. He's the guy you want at the FT line with the game on the line. So, in the final minute, when the other team is fouling to extend the game, you want the ball in Vescovi's hands. As you mentioned, bringing the ball up the court is not his strength, but he is the best FT shooter and best at dealing the ball. I think he needs to attack the lane more and dish the ball to our bigs. Probably need to pick and roll with him more, but that's not much of an option against the zone D's we've seen the last 2 games. Until we start busting zones, we'll probably see a lot of zone D. As Barnes stated, they've only practiced sparingly against 2-3 zone, no time on 1-3-1. So, attacking zones will probably be a point of emphasis in the next few weeks. I'm also encouraged that Barnes, who is highly critical of his players, seems relatively pleased with where the team is right now.

I am surprised Plavsic didn't play against the Cincy bigs. I would have liked to have seen that. But, our smaller, quicker guys got them in foul trouble.

We looked like the Lady Vols shooting around the rim. I can't remember the men missing so many point blank shots. That will not happen again. If we hit half of those, we probably win by 15+.
Vescovi is not fast enough nor physical enough to have the ball in his hands late in the game regardless of how good he shoots FTs. James and Springer will become the primary ball handlers by season's end I think, they shoot FTs pretty good too.

Bailey looks good to me but I also think we may be playing too many 1-3s to allow this team to jell. It’s going to interesting to see how it works out but I could make an argument that we have 1 too Many hands in the cookie jar

Need to chop off ORN’s minutes, split it between...

Vescovi
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulky
Keon
Springer
Anosike

VN Store

Back