Cincinnati Postgame Report

cncchris33

1. This team is a supercharged V-8 that is hitting on 5 cylinders, right now. Chemistry is not there, yet, and you can tell that they haven't had a ton of practice running together. The assists are down, and the sloppy TOs are up. The raw talent is evident, but they are not yet cohesive in the way a lot of our fans who will meet at the watercooler Monday to discuss how disappointed they are, would like them to be. That is understandable to a point, but it is also why some of us warned against the early, gaudy expectations for this team. Covid, grad transfers, and the freshman transition weren't likely to make for an immediate finished product on the floor. You were warned, but now you see it manifested.

2. We still don't have a PG, and I'm not certain that Jaden Springer isn't pur best eventual option. @BruinVol and I both stated that belief, last year, but it still seems to be a possibility. Vescovi is a nice player, but he just doesn't handle the ball well enough to make me totally comfortable with him as the man bringing the ball up in crunch time. Springer isn't Jordsn Bone with the ball, either, but he is much more of a threat to get to the basket, and Vescovi is the better spot-on shooter.

3. Our frontline was 8-25, today, after shooting a combined 7-29 against Colorado. They have to be more efficient. As a team, we missed probably a dozen shots right around the rim. Hopefully, that is a sign of a lack of practice, but it has to be fixed. We can't win with a frontline being that inefficient.

4. That same frontline dominated the boards, today, however, and made Cincy earn their points outside and in transition. They really defended well and took care of second chances for Cincy on the offensive glass. We had 14 offensive boards ourselves. Great job on what was a big weakness, last year.

5. FTs were huge. Hard to believe we shot 30 FTs to Cincy's 7, but we don't win without them. Glad to see us shoot 83%, too. We attacked the rim and earned a lot of those opportunities.

6. Olivier Nkamhoua doesn't need to be seeing the floor, right now. He is a non-factor for positive plays, and a frequent contributor to negative ones. In 14 minutes, this season, he has 2 pts on 1-4 shooting, 0 rebs, 0 blks, 0 assts, 0 steals, 2 TOs, and 2 fouls.

7. Pons was much better offensively, today. His rebounding wasn't nearly as good, but he finished with 8 pts, 4 rebs, and 2 blks.

8. Keon Johnson had another solid effort. Shows the most promise of any player on our roster, followed by Springer, IMO. KJ: 7 pts, 6 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk. Cut his TOs from 5 to 2. Springer: 11 pts, 4 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl, and only 1 TO in 25 minutes.

9. JJJ filled the stat sheet again with 8 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts, 3 stls but also had 3 TOs playing a little more PG, today than vs Colorado, and missed another couple shots right at the rim, shooting a really inefficient 1-5. He has to finish better because he can get to the rim.

10. It's again pretty impressive to win by 9 when you shoot 32% as a team. Our defense, outside of several open 3s we allowed, was again fantastic. We forced Cincy to beat us from outside, which they are not typically a great shooting team, but today they capitalized on those shots to keep it close. If we shoot even 40%, we likely win by 15 points. In addition to playing great D, we got to the FT line at a better than 4:1 ratio, and got their best players in foul trouble, yet still couldn't capitalize because we couldn't score. That has to get fixed and is likely tied to point #1. As with Colorado, a better team would have beaten us today. Fortunately, we had enough to hold Cincy off. Hopefully in this stretch of winnable games, we afford ourselves more opportunities to get the offense on the same page, get the guys some confidence on offense, and build chemistry with reps in practice and in games.

I very politely disagree with you on Olivier today. I thought he played well on defense today and right now is a better defender then EA. Obviously EA does more on offense but Olivier got Those minutes due to poor play by EA in that first half

Yea I am on the springer for PG bandwagon but that outlet to Olivier well wasn’t smart lol

I very politely disagree with you on Olivier today. I thought he played well on defense today and right now is a better defender then EA. Obviously EA does more on offense but Olivier got Those minutes due to poor play by EA in that first half

Yea I am on the springer for PG bandwagon but that outlet to Olivier well wasn’t smart lol
I agree with you, I think ON has been better than he has looked on the box score. Like you said he was actually solid on D. He does need to never handle the ball in the open court, ever😂
Also I now agree with y’all now about Jaden needing to be the primary PG over Santi, I didn’t in the off-season but I think I was wrong. Like y’all have said Jaden can drive a lot better and he actually had some good feeds, they just haven’t been finished for one reason or the other

Olivier is currently a liability on offense. Couldn’t handle a pass on the run which led to a turnover, then screened his own man on the defensive side to give Cincy a lay-up.

If EA can start finishing around the basket, I see Oliviers minutes being reduced drastically.
This is really where I was criticizing him. He is an absolute liability on offense. His defense isn't good enough to overcome that, IMO.

This is really where I was criticizing him. He is an absolute liability on offense. His defense isn't good enough to overcome that, IMO.

Unless we give James some minutes we have to play 4 guys at the 4,5 I think. I think he keeps playing that 5-10 minute segment unless foul trouble arrives

Reactions: Vol49er
Is there any significantly different with what we are doing on offense compared to last year?

pons seemed to get a lot more touches on the perimeter which led to 3 pt open shots a year ago. Certainly didn’t have anything like that today

Is there any significantly different with what we are doing on offense compared to last year?

pons seemed to get a lot more touches on the perimeter which led to 3 pt open shots a year ago. Certainly didn’t have anything like that today
I think we have greatly struggled to get the ball in the paint to our post players on the block. When we have, they haven't converted. We haven't really run a lot of successful set plays, either. We had the one lob to KJ vs Colorado, we ran a screen play to get Springer open on a layup, today, but not much else to isolate guys getting to the basket. We haven't done much to keep teams honest in that zone, either, by hitting the open outside looks, so the inside stays packed tight.

I think we have greatly struggled to get the ball in the paint to our post players on the block. When we have, they haven't converted. We haven't really run a lot of successful set plays, either. We had the one lob to KJ vs Colorado, we ran a screen play to get Springer open on a layup, today, but not much else to isolate guys getting to the basket. We haven't done much to keep teams honest in that zone, either, by hitting the open outside looks, so the inside stays packed tight.

I guess my question was more that it seems like Pons ran more “point forward” sets last year that led to some open 3s at the top of the key

Am I crazy for thinking that?

I think JJJ can provide some relief at PG as he did today. I like him this year in that role a lot better as he’s likely facing a different level of defender compared to last year.

I guess my question was more that it seems like Pons ran more “point forward” sets last year that led to some open 3s at the top of the key

Am I crazy for thinking that?
You may be right, and it may explain why we have been more effective on the boards.

1. This team is a supercharged V-8 that is hitting on 5 cylinders, right now. Chemistry is not there, yet, and you can tell that they haven't had a ton of practice running together. The assists are down, and the sloppy TOs are up. The raw talent is evident, but they are not yet cohesive in the way a lot of our fans who will meet at the watercooler Monday to discuss how disappointed they are, would like them to be. That is understandable to a point, but it is also why some of us warned against the early, gaudy expectations for this team. Covid, grad transfers, and the freshman transition weren't likely to make for an immediate finished product on the floor. You were warned, but now you see it manifested.

2. We still don't have a PG, and I'm not certain that Jaden Springer isn't pur best eventual option. @BruinVol and I both stated that belief, last year, but it still seems to be a possibility. Vescovi is a nice player, but he just doesn't handle the ball well enough to make me totally comfortable with him as the man bringing the ball up in crunch time. Springer isn't Jordsn Bone with the ball, either, but he is much more of a threat to get to the basket, and Vescovi is the better spot-on shooter.

3. Our frontline was 8-25, today, after shooting a combined 7-29 against Colorado. They have to be more efficient. As a team, we missed probably a dozen shots right around the rim. Hopefully, that is a sign of a lack of practice, but it has to be fixed. We can't win with a frontline being that inefficient.

4. That same frontline dominated the boards, today, however, and made Cincy earn their points outside and in transition. They really defended well and took care of second chances for Cincy on the offensive glass. We had 14 offensive boards ourselves. Great job on what was a big weakness, last year.

5. FTs were huge. Hard to believe we shot 30 FTs to Cincy's 7, but we don't win without them. Glad to see us shoot 83%, too. We attacked the rim and earned a lot of those opportunities.

6. Olivier Nkamhoua doesn't need to be seeing the floor, right now. He is a non-factor for positive plays, and a frequent contributor to negative ones. In 14 minutes, this season, he has 2 pts on 1-4 shooting, 0 rebs, 0 blks, 0 assts, 0 steals, 2 TOs, and 2 fouls.

7. Pons was much better offensively, today. His rebounding wasn't nearly as good, but he finished with 8 pts, 4 rebs, and 2 blks.

8. Keon Johnson had another solid effort. Shows the most promise of any player on our roster, followed by Springer, IMO. KJ: 7 pts, 6 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk. Cut his TOs from 5 to 2. Springer: 11 pts, 4 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl, and only 1 TO in 25 minutes.

9. JJJ filled the stat sheet again with 8 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts, 3 stls but also had 3 TOs playing a little more PG, today than vs Colorado, and missed another couple shots right at the rim, shooting a really inefficient 1-5. He has to finish better because he can get to the rim.

10. It's again pretty impressive to win by 9 when you shoot 32% as a team. Our defense, outside of several open 3s we allowed, was again fantastic. We forced Cincy to beat us from outside, which they are not typically a great shooting team, but today they capitalized on those shots to keep it close. If we shoot even 40%, we likely win by 15 points. In addition to playing great D, we got to the FT line at a better than 4:1 ratio, and got their best players in foul trouble, yet still couldn't capitalize because we couldn't score. That has to get fixed and is likely tied to point #1. As with Colorado, a better team would have beaten us today. Fortunately, we had enough to hold Cincy off. Hopefully in this stretch of winnable games, we afford ourselves more opportunities to get the offense on the same page, get the guys some confidence on offense, and build chemistry with reps in practice and in games.
All good stuff, and I think it's time to give Uros some minutes in place of ON. Also, as you mentioned, we are just not a good ball-handling team at this point. Somehow, we have got to get guys who can bring the ball up in tight end-of-game situations. I just don't know who, but Vescovi is a decent ball handler at best.

Cincy was shooting 23% from 3 entering this game with poor shooting from their guards. I figured the law of averages would get us today. I thought we defended the 3-ball pretty well, but they hit shots they hadn't the first three games. It happens. Defensively, the Vols are something I haven't seen on the college level very often. I counted 17 shots Tennessee missed from ultra short range. Hit half of those and we win by 24 or so.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Unable to hear or see the game today, so it's interesting that Fulky hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.

VN Store

Back