Cincinnati Postgame Report

No argument its his bread and butter, but also something he wont be able to avoid moving forward in the game. And I believe he is not just stronger than his frame would suggest but he also understands the defensive side all together. So gaining position, going straight up and his quick hands could have just as big affect on a 6'8 guy as a 6'2 or 6'3.

Heck Armani Moore played it at the same size a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken
He did, although he was a more chiseled guy. I think the things you mentioned will allow him to play some 6'7 guys or possibly 6'8. The guy can jump, too.....big time.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I am curious to see how EA does going forward, he’s made a lot of nice moves and gotten himself some great looks, he’s just missed them. Is that who he is or is he off to a rough start shooting much like Pons and Fulky? Is this due to the long lay offs and limited contact in practice that guys are as far along? If that’s the case and EA starts making those shots his contributions look much different.
I think he may be trying to do too much. He is used to being the man and we just need him to fill a role. I think he will settle in and be a good bench player for us.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Can someone tell me where I can watch this game!??? I get the sec alternative or whatever it is and put it on DVR. It shows up as recorded but everytime I click says unavailable!? I thought I could watch a couple hours later and now it’s been days. Help!

t's again pretty impressive to win by 9 when you shoot 32% as a team. Our defense, outside of several open 3s we allowed, was again fantastic. We forced Cincy to beat us from outside, which they are not typically a great shooting team, but today they capitalized on those shots to keep it close. If we shoot even 40%, we likely win by 15 points. In addition to playing great D, we got to the FT line at a better than 4:1 ratio, and got their best players in foul trouble, yet still couldn't capitalize because we couldn't score. That has to get fixed and is likely tied to point #1. As with Colorado, a better team would have beaten us today. Fortunately, we had enough to hold Cincy off. Hopefully in this stretch of winnable games, we afford ourselves more opportunities to get the offense on the same page, get the guys some confidence on offense, and build chemistry with reps in practice and in games.

Absolutely.
Your time spent preparing this is much appreciated

Reactions: cncchris33
Can someone tell me where I can watch this game!??? I get the sec alternative or whatever it is and put it on DVR. It shows up as recorded but everytime I click says unavailable!? I thought I could watch a couple hours later and now it’s been days. Help!
Freak posted a link to the game he has on YouTube, I think.

Edit: Link

Conversely, is it possible you may be overestimating his defense? He doesn't "flash" defensively like a Pons or Keon. His defense is average. His offense is nonexistent, though I've noted many, many times that we don't need him to score a bunch of points. We need him to be a threat to score, which he's not...not even close...and we need him to rebound the basketball (he has 0 in 14 minutes over two games).

It is perhaps skewed because of the number of games and the number of minutes he's played, but ON's defensive rating is the 2nd worst on the team, so far. EJA, not far ahead in that category, but also has 7 boards to his credit. ON has gotten lost or been unaware of spacing, defensively, a couple times in his 14 minutes. I don't know that either guy is going to give us an advantage on defense, and I don't believe we need either guy to be a major offensive contributor, but I know which one gives us the advantage on the boards, to this point.
@BruinVol Nkamhoua played some pretty solid defense in the 1st half, tonight. Offense is still a work in progress, but the D was solid.

EJA was excellent defensively, I thought, and even defended guys on the perimeter, well.

Reactions: Lankykong
@BruinVol Nkamhoua played some pretty solid defense in the 1st half, tonight. Offense is still a work in progress, but the D was solid.

EJA was excellent defensively, I thought, and even defended guys on the perimeter, well.
I agree with both of these. Post up into jumper for ON actually looked pretty smooth too

Reactions: cncchris33
I agree with both of these. Post up into jumper for ON actually looked pretty smooth too
Multiple outlets said in the last 24 hours Barnes is going to continue to find minutes for ORN, they really feel like he’s showing things in practice he just hasn’t taken to the game, that jumper is some evidence of what that may have been referencing.

Multiple outlets said in the last 24 hours Barnes is going to continue to find minutes for ORN, they really feel like he’s showing things in practice he just hasn’t taken to the game, that jumper is some evidence of what that may have been referencing.
All I can say was I was shocked. His form on that shot was excellent (spoken by a guy who basically never played basketball, but it looked good). That looked reproducible.

We just need him to be calm and not dribble too much and he can probably keep doing that some.

Lol

Lord knows I get stubborn wanting guys to develop just because I like them but I was coming here to post I’m ready for JJJ to take his minutes at the 4. Then I read this

I’m worried About EA though. I just don’t think he get much done against ncaa caliber teams.

Lol

Lord knows I get stubborn wanting guys to develop just because I like them but I was coming here to post I’m ready for JJJ to take his minutes at the 4. Then I read this

I’m worried About EA though. I just don’t think he get much done against ncaa caliber teams.
I think these next couple games are key for seeing what they’ve got in some of those guys

I think these next couple games are key for seeing what they’ve got in some of those guys
One thing we got, two exceptional 5 star guards, that are already elite on defense and the sky's the limit on offense. I love Keon's complete game, but right now, if UT absolutely has to have a basket, Springer driving is our number one option, imo. I'm almost at the point where I have conceded that both Keon and Springer are one and done. I hope I'm wrong, but I rarely am, except for Derrick Walker, lately.

One thing we got, two exceptional 5 star guards, that are already elite on defense and the sky's the limit on offense. I love Keon's complete game, but right now, if UT absolutely has to have a basket, Springer driving is our number one option, imo. I'm almost at the point where I have conceded that both Keon and Springer are one and done. I hope I'm wrong, but I rarely am, except for Derrick Walker, lately.
Fulky on the post is still our best option when we need a bucket IMO

Lol

I had hoped for a little bit more rebounding from EJA. He currently is averaging 4.3/gm, but also only playing about 2/3 of the minutes I expected. I was hoping for around 5-6 ppg and 7 rpg. He isn’t far off that pace if he were getting 20 mpg. If you are worried about him, then your expectations were likely too high to start with.

Nkamhoua is currently getting those additional minutes I had earmarked for EJA, and he has 0 rebounds in 22 minutes on the season. That would worry me a lot more than anything I’ve seen from EJA. I thought he played his best game this season, last night, especially defensively.

We exaggerate and say things like "that freshman is already the best player on the team", etc. But deep down this is Fulky's team and we know it.
I disagree a bit. He's definitely our most valuable player and one of our leaders, maybe even Captain but I don't think it's any of the player's team I think it's clearly Barnes' team. North Carolina was never "Jordan's team" back in the day it was always Coach Smith's. Barnes reminds me of him the most when it comes to coaching.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks he's got really good potential. :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks he's got really good potential. :)
I’m fine with that belief, but there is literally nothing that you have personally witnessed to substantiate that belief. It is all based on hope. If you believed every practice report and coach’s statement about Jarrett Guarantano, you’d have believed he had really good potential, as well. For some guys, it just never translates to the field/court. ON still has time, but until I see it consistently on the floor, I choose to take those practice reports with a grain of salt. Of course, I didn’t like him coming out of high school, either, so what I’ve seen on the floor largely only reinforces the idea I never wanted him to begin with. If you had high hopes based on his high school film, then you are likely hoping he takes some steps in the right direction. We all want him to be successful, I’m just extremely skeptical. More than most, perhaps.

I’m fine with that belief, but there is literally nothing that you have personally witnessed to substantiate that belief. It is all based on hope. If you believed every practice report and coach’s statement about Jarrett Guarantano, you’d have believed he had really good potential, as well. For some guys, it just never translates to the field/court. ON still has time, but until I see it consistently on the floor, I choose to take those practice reports with a grain of salt. Of course, I didn’t like him coming out of high school, either, so what I’ve seen on the floor largely only reinforces the idea I never wanted him to begin with. If you had high hopes based on his high school film, then you are likely hoping he takes some steps in the right direction. We all want him to be successful, I’m just extremely skeptical. More than most, perhaps.
My biggest reason is because he's got a big time frame and he's fairly athletic. He's raw and in over his head but that will greatly improve the more experience he gets. I really think he can be a productive player. He's in the group of stone hands that we have and those guys always look a bit awkward sometimes. The stone hands team includes JJJ/Pons/Fulky/Anosike/Big O in my opinion.

I disagree a bit. He's definitely our most valuable player and one of our leaders, maybe even Captain but I don't think it's any of the player's team I think it's clearly Barnes' team. North Carolina was never "Jordan's team" back in the day it was always Coach Smith's. Barnes reminds me of him the most when it comes to coaching.
I'm just saying the same thing you are saying. I am making zero reference to how much control the coach has. Fulkerson is our most valuable player.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back