Chris Petersen thread (merged)

Do you think Peterson will ever leave UW and if so where will he go. IMO he is easily in top two or three coaches in the country. BTW just came back from a business trip to Bremerton. Beautiful there.

I mean, never say never. But he's from UC Davis, not like he's some guy who will leave for his alma mater some day. I think he'll be at Washington as long as Washington will have him. The UW fanbase is passionate, but they aren't quite as vocal as we can be so there's little chance of that relationship souring. A lot of people see him as the second coming of Don James, if you're Chris Peterson, why leave that?

Reactions: 2 people
Husky fans would be completely blindsided if he left. I can’t believe his salary and buyout are so low. It’d be an A++ hire. If we truly wanted to MUTGA we’d offer him $10 mil + before we talk to anyone else. That’s like $20 mil in Seattle...

Husky fans are fine folks, and there are a lot of similarities between the fanbases, but the people out here just are not nearly as passionate about football as TN. And the ones that are root for the hawks first. Imo they don’t deserve him. I wish he would go to UT, but as far as I can tell he seems perfectly happy here. The late starts aren’t THAT big of a deal... I honestly don’t understand why they complain. It’s a Saturday you can stay up late. And it’s BS that they get less coverage at night; they’re the ONLY game on on the east coast Saturday night and people are still awake because, again, it’s Saturday!

Jmo

Reactions: 1 person
Petersen is a long long shot but on the flip side I’d love it if UT traded Leach for Currie! That’s probably a long shot now too but it’d be fun to F with the cougs. I wanted Leach a couple of searches ago. Solid B+ hire

No harm in reaching out with a great offer. As a matter of fact, depending on the amount Fulmer is willing to spend, he needs to make Petersen the MAX offer. And if says no, then so be it.

Petersen is a long long shot but on the flip side I’d love it if UT traded Leach for Currie! That’s probably a long shot now too but it’d be fun to F with the cougs. I wanted Leach a couple of searches ago. Solid B+ hire

My co-worker, who is a K-State alum had this to say this morning, before Currie's firing was made official.

"Well, if he is fired he has a soft landing spot at WSU. KSU’s old president Kirk Schultz is there now and he ran off Bill Moos who said Schultz created a toxic environment for Athletics. Currie was his little ventriloquist doll when he was at KSU. The irony is Leach might leave for UT but he probably won’t unless they fire Currie."

Didn't realize there were so many Chris Petersen threads on this site, so I'll post this again from a few days for those who didn't see it.

I probably shouldn't be doing this, but having never before witnessed such over-the-top reactions to utterly unsubstantiated rumors in all my life, I feel compelled to inject a dose of reality into this world...

I've had a working relationship with Chris Petersen for the last 2.5 years. I can assure you, with absolute certainty, not only has he never had an ounce of interest in the Tennessee job, he has no interest in leaving Washington at all.

A few comically incorrect assertions made on this forum I can clear up right now:

1. The notion he has a bad relationship with the AD is totally absurd. Chris and Jen not only work well together, but the athletic department bends over backwards to accommodate any suggestion or request made by the football staff. There is mutual respect and appreciation on both sides, and anyone implying otherwise is flat out lying or been lied to.

2. The belief Chris is dissatisfied or frustrated with a perceived "lack of exposure," is equally as comedic as the misconceptions listed above. His complaint was specific, and addressed an issue that hadn't occurred until this year. He was frustrated by he fact up until that point in the season, his team hadn't played a single game that started before 8PM Eastern time. The issue had nothing to do with the school, but with the conference TV deal, which has been justifiably ripped apart by anyone who's taken the time to study it. It was an unprecedented scheduling pattern he's been told will change next season.

3. Chris is unhappy with his pay. Again, just hilarious. During the last contract negotiation which extended his agreement through 2023, he didn't even make himself the focus. The biggest variable during discussions was actually the pay of his assistants, which resulted in one becoming the highest paid assistant coach in the program history. Again, Chris pretty much gets what he wants.

4. Petersen is looking to leave Washington. Laughably incorrect. He loves the area, loves the school, loves the community, and feels the media isn't oppressive or overbearing. Washington was always a destination spot for him, as it affords him the opportunity to run a big program while also having room to breathe. He is an internally driven man with little patience for addressing outside expectations. It all just fits.

Furthermore, just on a personal level, the idea of secret discussions would make Petersen sick. If he had interest in another job to the point he engaged in discussions, he would be up front and notify Jen - it's just his style. In turn, preparations would have been made within the offices for a possible departure, and that never happened. It was business as usual up here, because Chris leaving wasn't a potententiality that required attention.

Here's what I can tell you. Contact was made, just like prior years from USC and Texas, and they were politely turned away. I don't know if it was made by Currie himself.

Tennessee did contact Mike Leach. I don't know what became of those discussions, but Leach WAS open to leaving Wazzu.

And just in case any of you are interested in an outside perspective, most people in the profession believe Tennessee should be focusing on a young, hungry coaching talent eager to make a name for himself. The way you get through these distractions and storylines is by bringing on ambition big enough to crush them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Didn't realize there were so many Chris Petersen threads on this site, so I'll post this again from a few days for those who didn't see it.

I probably shouldn't be doing this, but having never before witnessed such over-the-top reactions to utterly unsubstantiated rumors in all my life, I feel compelled to inject a dose of reality into this world...

I've had a working relationship with Chris Petersen for the last 2.5 years. I can assure you, with absolute certainty, not only has he never had an ounce of interest in the Tennessee job, he has no interest in leaving Washington at all.

A few comically incorrect assertions made on this forum I can clear up right now:

1. The notion he has a bad relationship with the AD is totally absurd. Chris and Jen not only work well together, but the athletic department bends over backwards to accommodate any suggestion or request made by the football staff. There is mutual respect and appreciation on both sides, and anyone implying otherwise is flat out lying or been lied to.

2. The belief Chris is dissatisfied or frustrated with a perceived "lack of exposure," is equally as comedic as the misconceptions listed above. His complaint was specific, and addressed an issue that hadn't occurred until this year. He was frustrated by he fact up until that point in the season, his team hadn't played a single game that started before 8PM Eastern time. The issue had nothing to do with the school, but with the conference TV deal, which has been justifiably ripped apart by anyone who's taken the time to study it. It was an unprecedented scheduling pattern he's been told will change next season.

3. Chris is unhappy with his pay. Again, just hilarious. During the last contract negotiation which extended his agreement through 2023, he didn't even make himself the focus. The biggest variable during discussions was actually the pay of his assistants, which resulted in one becoming the highest paid assistant coach in the program history. Again, Chris pretty much gets what he wants.

4. Petersen is looking to leave Washington. Laughably incorrect. He loves the area, loves the school, loves the community, and feels the media isn't oppressive or overbearing. Washington was always a destination spot for him, as it affords him the opportunity to run a big program while also having room to breathe. He is an internally driven man with little patience for addressing outside expectations. It all just fits.

Furthermore, just on a personal level, the idea of secret discussions would make Petersen sick. If he had interest in another job to the point he engaged in discussions, he would be up front and notify Jen - it's just his style. In turn, preparations would have been made within the offices for a possible departure, and that never happened. It was business as usual up here, because Chris leaving wasn't a potententiality that required attention.

Here's what I can tell you. Contact was made, just like prior years from USC and Texas, and they were politely turned away. I don't know if it was made by Currie himself.

Tennessee did contact Mike Leach. I don't know what became of those discussions, but Leach WAS open to leaving Wazzu.

And just in case any of you are interested in an outside perspective, most people in the profession believe Tennessee should be focusing on a young, hungry coaching talent eager to make a name for himself. The way you get through these distractions and storylines is by bringing on ambition big enough to crush them.

Good luck.

Yep, this is 100% spot on.

I don't see Petersen happening but I'd at least extend an offer and see what happens. He signed an extension but the buyout is still the same. I would also put some feelers out for Malzahn through Steele since auburn wanted to fire him early in the year.

nope. been going for a while with lots talked with.. sorting through who he likes and who he wants to close with.. Mullen waiting might mean focus is on someone else at the moment. someone more desirable.

Please give us an update

Good luck.

First, Fuente, then Frost and now this. Sitting here watching UGA vs Auburn and knowing how far we are from that level.....I need another knob creek.

Good luck.

What’s your story?

I wonder how long till Shaw moves on

When he realizes he's never going to win a championship. Shaw,and Patterson both need to realize this. While it's admirable how well they've done at their respected schools, TCU and Stanford will never compete for national championships.

There are roughly 16 programs who have a realistic shot at winning nattys on a consistent basis...

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Florida State
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Notre Dame
Miami
Clemson
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska

Not saying you won't have outliers once in a while like a Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Washington, or UCLA. However For the most part your championships are going to be won from that list.

VN Store

Back