Chism Technical Foul

Hardwood_fanatic

Bluegrass OG 4 life
Did anyone AT the game, or with the correct camera angle, happen to see what it was that Chism said to draw his technical foul? I am hearing that he had a verbal exchange with coach Stallings ( who is a jerk to begin with), and something said provoked the Technical. I unfortunately did not get to see this happen, as I was in the bathroom. I am hoping that since he got the T, he at least said something worth receiving it.

Edit: I corrected the gramitical error. :dance2:

Last edited:
Did anyone AT the game, or with the correct camera angle, happen to see what it was that Chism said to draw his technical foul? I am hearing that he had a verbal exchange with coach Stallings ( who is a jerk to begin with), and something said provoked the Technical. I unfortunately did not get to see this happen, as I was in the bathroom. I am hoping that since he got the T, he at least said something worth recieving it.

While putting his headband on after the possibly And-1...he gestured and yelled towards the Vandy Bench. They had rode him pretty hard up to that point, and he taunted in retaliation, and done so right in front of an official. That's an easy Technical call for the official...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I watched on TV.....He made the basket got fouled then ripped his head band off and screamed "thats what Im talking about"...

Because the egg heads at Vandy have a backwards ass gym....It just so happen to be right in front of the Candy bench, which the referee considered it as taunting.

It didnt help that the idiot broadcasting crew said he was screaming at Stallings.....total fallacy.

That being said, it probably deserved a T, because he ripped his headband off.

That being said, it probably deserved a T, because he ripped his headband off.

Yeah, this was probably the biggest contributor to the decision by the official. Of course if it appeared as though he was screaming "at" the bench, then they view it as taunting and hit you up also. But, its water under the proverbial bridge now. :good!:

To tell the truth, it got me excited when he ripped the headband off and started yelling. If I was a Vandy fan and saw that live in person, I would've thought "welp, we're losing tonight"!!

Looked like a bad call to me.

Wayne didn't get in anyone's face. He didn't appear to say anything profane or make any profane gestures. He appeared to say, "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" The headband thing shouldn't have played a factor in giving a T or not. The official who called it wanted to demonstrate his authority.

For a team who can show-boat more than their pay grade, I thought they were very poised last night, and that's a big reason they won so handily.

Wayne didn't get in anyone's face. He didn't appear to say anything profane or make any profane gestures. He appeared to say, "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" The headband thing shouldn't have played a factor in giving a T or not. The official who called it wanted to demonstrate his authority.

For a team who can show-boat more than their pay grade, I thought they were very poised last night, and that's a big reason they won so handily.

He definitely taunted the Vandy bench...

And he did it within 3 feet of an official.

It was the right call.

I think he had to reach for his headband because they nearly ripped it off with the foul. As good as he was feelin it he probably just wanted to scream any way. He has no idea how good he is and can be.

It was the right call.

I don't think his intention was to taunt the bench. Had it been in 99.9% of the other venues it would have not been called. The bench just happened to be right in front of him after the basket and he was pumped.

For the record I don't think it was a terrible call he was just a victim of circumstance there.

You were at the game, I assume? And you must've been seated close to the bench?

Yes...and yes.

There was constant banter back and forth between the bench and Chism. And Chism had been warned by one of the officials before that.

My reaction when I saw what he did was he deserved the Technical. It's a lot like in football with the personal foul calls...the second one is the one that gets it.

I was at the other end of the gym so I didn't hear what was said, but watching I thought it could have been called on JP his celebration seemed to go on a little long. I'm cool with a little celebration after a play but 5 minutes is excessive.

All in all a good win for the Vols. Memorial is a tough place to win typically, but the only magic I saw last night was the half time show. Glad to see we are capable of a little D.

Chism needs to learn his celebrations from Ron Slay. Prince on the other hand needs to learn that jogging back on defense after a made basket will get you benched.

I completely agree - if you notice, his headband was halfway off anyway. Plus, he did not curse or direct his scream at anyone. He definitely was not addressing Stallings when he yelled and if that happens anywhere but Memorial it's probably not a technical foul. Typical Vandy BS.

Yea, I didnt think the T was warranted either. It looked to me like Chism looked straight up when he yelled whatever it was he said. It was just another bogus call in a sadly officated game!

It was the right call.

No he didn't lol. Look at his eyes. He wasn't even looking at them - I went back on DVR and checked - I think i'll trust my DVR where it clearly has him looking up above the benches heads and in no direction in particular rather than yours if you were at the game and things pass quickly. It just so happened the Vandy bench is right under the basket where he came down.

Am I denying there wasn't stuff going on between Chism and them before? No - there probably was - but he wasn't addressing the bench there unless he likes to look up into the rafters when talking to someone 10 feet away from him.... and "That's what am talking about!" isn't taunting in anyway.

Last edited:
When JP pushed him, he started moving and his eyes then made contact with the ref's ... while he was still screaming...that is when the ref followed him with his eyes and T'd him up...I almost wonder if JP's push and the resulting eye contact with the ref while screaming led to the T.

No he didn't lol. Look at his eyes. He wasn't even looking at them - I went back on DVR and checked - I think i'll trust my DVR where it clearly has him looking up above the benches heads and in no direction in particular rather than yours if you were at the game and things pass quickly. It just so happened the Vandy bench is right under the basket where he came down.

Am I denying there wasn't stuff going on between Chism and them before? No - there probably was - but he wasn't addressing the bench there unless he likes to look up into the rafters when talking to someone 10 feet away from him.... and "That's what am talking about!" isn't taunting in anyway.

I still haven't seen the replay of the game so I can't say for sure.

I do trust your judgment though.

I'm just saying with the banter back and forth I can see how it was perceived that he was taunting. It looked that way to me from my seat, and apparently it did to the official as well.

I'll give the Fulmer response and tell you I'll have to look at the film myself.

That Technical wouldn't have happened if Vandy's bench wasn't under the basket.

I still haven't seen the replay of the game so I can't say for sure.

I do trust your judgment though.

I'm just saying with the banter back and forth I can see how it was perceived that he was taunting. It looked that way to me from my seat, and apparently it did to the official as well.

I'll give the Fulmer response and tell you I'll have to look at the film myself.

I agree it could have been seen as taunting - but shouldn't have been called - I can definitely understand - but I think its the wrong call.

It was the right call. While I didn't have a huge problem with it, per se, it was an easy call to make.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't had more technicals this year. We do alot of jawing.

VN Store

Back