Chip. Kelly. Now.

Isn’t Kelly’s win percentage over a brief stent greater than 85% two years of which he had essentially an empty cupboard? I’ll take kelly sorry!
Urban inherited a stocked team at UF. Uneven playing field by comparison.

Uneven or not. The statement was that Kelly had proven he was the best coach in the NCAA not named Saban, and it wasn’t close. I understand you may like Kelly more, but the facts say CUM. And, it’s not close!

Don't be morons. Chip Kelly is perfect. Proven winner. Built Oregon and runs the same scheme as butch jones. He's the perfect replacement. We've got a cupboard full of pretty good talent right now.

Kelly does not run the same system as BJ. The only similarity that I see is shotgun and lining up quickly. Other than that they are worlds apart.

Reactions: 3 people
Guys Gruden was never a real option.

Chip Kelly is Cali dreamin’.

Gary Patterson, Tee Martin, someone like that.

Uneven or not. The statement was that Kelly had proven he was the best coach in the NCAA not named Saban, and it wasn’t close. I understand you may like Kelly more, but the facts say CUM. And, it’s not close!

Not correct. Take cum first 5 years coaching and compare to Kelly’s first 5. That is a fair comparison. Given more time I have no doubt kelly would be in the same or better position. Again either way I’d take a top 3 coach. And cum ain’t leaving osu so kelly IS the best available!

Reactions: 2 people
Guys Gruden was never a real option.

Chip Kelly is Cali dreamin’.

Gary Patterson, Tee Martin, someone like that.

Gary Patterson would be a win. Tee Martin would be another choice where we settled for what we get (see Butch Jones and Derek Dooley). Maybe Tee will be a great HC someday, or maybe he won't, but he hasn't done anything YET that would put him in the tier one choices.

Reactions: 3 people
Neither of these things are true!

Well, perhaps the last one isn't, but the first one certainly is true. He got an 18 month show-cause from the NCAA handed down on him. His penalty was for a similat reason that the FBI is cracking down on college basketball.

Well, perhaps the last one isn't, but the first one certainly is true. He got an 18 month show-cause from the NCAA handed down on him. His penalty was for a similat reason that the FBI is cracking down on college basketball.

But the NCAA followed up basically exonerating him saying although he would get a show cause, he in truth evidently had nothing to do with it and knew nothing about it. He was simply the captain of the ship.
I’d take kelly in a second! And we would instantly be a better football team

Reactions: 1 person
We are not taking a chance on Chip after the mess he left at Oregon and stuff that happened under his watch. Just like Petrino,Kiffin nor Franklin would ever be options either. Anyone with any kind of skeletons in their closet will NOT be options I promise you that.

In the grand scheme of things most people don't see Kelly's infractions as being particularly vile. I can't speak for the whole state or fanbase, but I'd say most of Oregon would trip over themselves to welcome Kelly back. You can't pay people to help you recruit( /slap on wrist). OK got it. Lesson learned.

Chip Kelly is far from perfect. He is known to rub a lot of people the wrong way. He had a show cause leaving Oregon due to his part in mismanaging the program.

He's a winner at one college program. His previous experience was below the P5 level. He was fired twice in the NFL and has not been hired since. After only 2 years, NFL DC's had solved the riddle of Kelly's O... as have most college DC's now.

He didn't build Oregon. Bellotti did. He took over a program that had been lifted out of the dumpster and had averaged 9 wins per season in the previous 4 years.... which were BEFORE USCw fell.

Running the same system as Jones... even if that were true... is not a good thing. But it isn't true. Just because two teams run out of the shot gun and have the read option in their playbook... doesn't mean they run the same system.

He's a possibility but far from a slam dunk replacement.

We don't know exactly what UT has for talent... because Jones is just that bad of a coach.

The NFL is a different game. Lane kiffin was just talking about this on ESPN radio this morning. The refs slow things down in the NFL. They want to protect the players and they don't want the game to change to what college is.

More and more, the best athlete on the field is the QB in college. The balls is set quicker and the offense is taking advantage of the mismatches vs methodically marching down the field.

Kelly is a very sharp guy and would kill it here.

If chip goes to fl and we don't offer the house to hetg him, we might as well top out the upper deck at neyland.

Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier. Both dominated in college and flopped in the NFL. No shame in that. Hell Saban flopped in the NFL. Pete Carroll was a failure his first stint in the NFL. Ignore the NFL stuff, it's a different game.

He has a great mind for the game, very much into analytics and probability, he would need to have a solid DC, and he would need to have a large paycheck.
Hire the man, pay the man, collect trophies.

You’re right in that you’d know what you’re getting but why would you want it? Les Miles would not make TN a national power. He would be no better than Butch. Look at Miles’ last three teams, and they were underachievers. Also, why would you want someone who is nearly 64 years old. That is no way to solidify the future of the program.

I disagree about the not being better than Butch. He won 77% of his games and 69% of his SEC games in the toughest division in college football while he was at LSU. Imagine what he could do in a weak East Division. And beat Saban several times and easily could have a few more wins against him. Butch has almost as many SEC losses in 5 years in the East than Les had in 11+ in the West. I'm not lobbying for Les at all but comparing him and Butch is like comparing Larry Scott to David Cutcliff.

I think you’re just a pessimist, and refuse to see the positives of Tennessee. Of all the probable coaching changes expected. UT could be the most attractive job. Top$, a top 10 class already lined up, highest budget for recruiting in the country. Our facilities are state of the art, and still new. And lastly, this team has top 10-20 talent. A good coach could win immediately here. No rebuild needed.

Now please tell me why we aren’t the #1 job expected to have an opening? Who’s set up better for the next guy?

I agree it definitely should be the most attractive job unless A'M fires Sumlin or Flor fires Horse teeth. Only thing more attractive about those 2 is the recruiting base. Exactly why we need to announce Butch leaving and go our guy locked in before other jobs open up you just never know which ones could open up out of nowhere. Regardless we should be the most attractive or at the near top of most attractive openings. This class could be saved with the right guy and getting him atleast announced.

I can promise you Kelly would come to Tennessee if the offer is right. All this west coast crap is overplayed. He wants to coach again soon, he will coach again soon.

Agreed. Plus he was born in New Hampshire and went to college at New Hampshire. Not sure where the him being a West Coast guy is coming from. He coached at Oregon from 07-12 and 1 yr in SF the rest of his coaching career has been on the East Coast.

Chip Kelly has proven himself to be the best coach in the NCAA not named Saban.
No if ands it buts.
What he did at Oregon taking them in very short order from a no name program to a power.
He is without question the best candidate possible.
Whether he’s take the position is the question. He is an EAST COAST guy despite his brief tenure on the west. I think if the deal was good why wouldn’t he take the job.

I hope he gets the position.
Ps- the NCAA thing is overhyped and a done issue.
“ if you ain’t rubbing you ain’t racing”

Not sure about the best coach behind Saban he just built on what Belotti started at Oregon. Truth be told he's only been a HC in the FBS for 5 years..has less than 55 career games coached in the FBS. Not enough body of work to even be in the same breath as Saban, Meyer or Dabo.

I disagree, win percentages for kelly look awfully strong especially considering he had no recruits his first two years.
Either way I’d take any of the top three.

Not sure where you got this but he had Players at Oregon when he took over. Belotti had them playing great when Chip took over. Belotti's last 4 years he was 10-2, 7-6, 9-4 and 10-3. He had plenty of talent.

Then we are foolish and making a mistake we will regret. I can promise you that!

We are not gonna take a chance on any coach with any type of past issues. Not to mention I'm not sure he could recruit the South the way he would need to. It's a different animal going into the homes of mother's, Grandmother's and Fathers in the south. Those aren't my words either. When Wilcox was here that was an issue he had. The culture and knowing how to speak to southern parents and earning their trust. He would have to surround himself with elite recruiters that have and can recruit the south consistently. It's not like Kelly is the most personable or likable guy. Just don't see him fitting into the culture. He would definitely be better fitted for the North, left coast or NFL.

VN Store

Back