Chick-Fil-A

In textiles, fresh out of grad school with an MBA and hired as a production supervisor, my first two weeks I did nothing but make friends with a pair of brooms. After which I spent 10 months learning to run every job in my area before I was delegated to my shift.
Do you still work in textile? That's what I do.

Whatever works for them I suppose. I know this will sound dickish, but I went to college and law school so I would not have to clean bathrooms and deal with John Q Public. Guessing many others feel the same way. Doesn't make anyone better than another to apply the good ole law of economics that everyone should do best what they do best.
My ex-husband used to say, "I don't want to sound like an *******..." and then he would. Nothing to do with you, just reminded me of that.

Hey, if you think an expensive education means you should never be asked to do a menial task that benefits your coworkers or your company, then that's just who you are. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I can see the value in that for a in-store manager position. If I was going to go be in-house counsel for CFA and the first thing they asked me to do was work in a store and clean bathrooms, I'd probably wonder why.
Did you know you wanted to do what you are doing now when you were in law school? Did you start in corporate law? Experience 80 hour work weeks with a firm where you did work with the public.

Law is the most miserable profession with many law school grads no longer in the field.

Where would you draw the line for CFA workers having to start at the bottom? Just workers at the retail locations?
It does take a while to learn any job. Would your experience temporarily working at the store be almost meaningless or worthwhile? Would you be better prepared to understand the stores and the jobs there if you did the work? Would it help you in your professional job?

Sorry I have jumped to the conclusion that is the job you have. In house atty.

Last edited:
Whatever works for them I suppose. I know this will sound dickish, but I went to college and law school so I would not have to clean bathrooms and deal with John Q Public. Guessing many others feel the same way. Doesn't make anyone better than another to apply the good ole law of economics that everyone should do best what they do best.
You went to law school so you wouldnt have to deal with the public? Huh?

How about if we just require that attorneys who do TV commercials have to clean toilets?
Wouldn't bother me. I'm one of those people who would be fine if the board of professional responsibility cracked down on the advertising. Of course, I'm not trying to hustle business at this point in my career and there's some case law based on the 1A that would have to be reversed.

Did you know you wanted to do what you are doing now when you were in law school? Did you start in corporate law? Experience 80 hour work weeks with a firm where you did work with the public.

Law is the most miserable profession with many law school grads no longer in the field.

Where would you draw the line for CFA workers having to start at the bottom? Just workers at the retail locations?
It does take a while to learn any job. Would your experience temporarily working at the store be almost meaningless or worthwhile? Would you be better prepared to understand the stores and the jobs there if you did the work? Would it help you in your professional job?

Sorry I have jumped to the conclusion that is the job you have. In house atty.

I dropped out of HS when I was 16 and spent a year and half seeing what it was like to work at the bottom of the unskilled labor market. It sucked and I wanted no part of it ever again so I went back to school at 18 and did about 2.5 years of work in one year thanks to summer school and night classes at the old Watkins Institute in downtown Nashville.

As far as law being a miserable profession, I agree that way too many people go to law school just to avoid the real world for another 3 years because they don't know what they want to do. I started in house and my employer went bankrupt and was liquidated in the late 90s. I guess I am not technically in-house but I've only had one client for about 20 years now.

The biggest problem with this argument is the math is bad for the business. Don't let me interrupt this argument on entitlement, tho.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
The biggest problem with this argument is the math is bad for the business. Don't let me interrupt this argument on entitlement, tho.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lol. I don't think some people understand. I worked in a firm for 3 years where I would get scolded if someone caught me making my own copies or coffee. I get that if you have a business that depends on grunt labor, it may help morale if the peons believe that the people bossing them around had to do the same crummy grunt work once upon a time. It's a micro application of the division of labor under Soviet style communism.

lol. I don't think some people understand. I worked in a firm for 3 years where I would get scolded if someone caught me making my own copies or coffee. I get that if you have a business that depends on grunt labor, it may help morale if the peons believe that the people bossing them around had to do the same crummy grunt work once upon a time. It's a micro application of the division of labor under Soviet style communism.

If a leader thinks this will boost moral, they actually have a culture problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolFaninFla
Yep. You're a lawyer.

I don’t have a problem with whatever motivational methods people use but it entirely depends on the company and what they do.

For me, I won’t stand all afternoon running copies of reports but it’s not because I’m above that, it’s about budget. If I bill at $200 an hour and we have staff who bill at $40, they’re the ones that need to be running copies. It’s just bad business otherwise.

Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with CFA specifically because they deal with an entirely different operational model.

I don’t have a problem with whatever motivational methods people use but it entirely depends on the company and what they do.

For me, I won’t stand all afternoon running copies of reports but it’s not because I’m above that, it’s about budget. If I bill at $200 an hour and we have staff who bill at $40, they’re the ones that need to be running copies. It’s just bad business otherwise.

Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with CFA specifically because they deal with an entirely different operational model.
It’s about learning the business, not wasting your time. If you understand how the company works from the ground up they expect you to make decisions that will help the company. If anything it’s to make the higher ups more effective, not a mismanagement of resources.

It’s about learning the business, not wasting your time. If you understand how the company works from the ground up they expect you to make decisions that will help the company. If anything it’s to make the higher ups more effective, not a mismanagement of resources.

I’ll take up VH’s lawyer lingo and stipulate to that.

I have no idea what you just said!🤷🏻‍♂️😁

When attorneys say “We’ll stipulate to that” it just basically means they’ll accept that point without argument.

Of course, I’m not an attorney so I don’t know what the hell I’m talking about anyway. VH or somebody can come in here and correct me. And then I’ll stipulate to that too.

They finally finished the ground-up rebuild of the CFA nearest me. The owner announced the grand reopening by sending out promotional cards for free classic Chic-fil-A sandwiches. I've accumulated two free lunch cards from donating blood. Reckon I best pay 'em a visit or three. 😃

Reactions: LouderVol
Do you still work in textile? That's what I do.

No. I wish I did. But, when I got out that wasn't much to have around my area without serious relocation. And I was not in a position for that. Textiles has made some come backs in niche markets, and a lot of good jobs available. If, you can move back to VA, NC, SC. Not any of it here in Middle TN.

Reactions: joevol33

Isn't that a little too honest for a law firm and billable hours? If a clients name comes up at the water cooler, everyone standing there bills an hour.

VN Store

Back