Chandler Agrees to 4-Year, $7.1M Contract; $4.9M Guaranteed

Many questioned his decision to turn pro and felt he could use another year with NIL. Well ladies and gentlemen he just signed the highest paid guaranteed contract for a second round pick 4.9 million guaranteed on a 4 yr 7.1 million dollar contract.
they actually qualified that with the word American. This would lead me to believe that some NOT American in the second round got more guaranteed money. not saying anything bad about him or you or the grizzlies just saying it's kind of shady how people clickbait folks with misleading headlines/tweets.

Not sure why they couldn't just leave it at he got a good contract and that be that

Reactions: b_gann
they actually qualified that with the word American. This would lead me to believe that some NOT American in the second round got more guaranteed money. not saying anything bad about him or you or the grizzlies just saying it's kind of shady how people clickbait folks with misleading headlines/tweets.

Not sure why they couldn't just leave it at he got a good contract and that be that

I didn’t take it as misleading. I’ve tried to research it, but I’m guessing an international player signed the largest guaranteed contract. That can make sense because most international players can be further along with development as foreign players develop early on pro teams. So, KC is essentially signing the biggest guaranteed contract for a college player drafted in the second round.

Reactions: Coddlecreek1
Many questioned his decision to turn pro and felt he could use another year with NIL. Well ladies and gentlemen he just signed the highest paid guaranteed contract for a second round pick 4.9 million guaranteed on a 4 yr 7.1 million dollar contract.
I’m so happy for Chandler man! Playing pro ball in his hometown city with his bro ja !! I wanted him to stay another year , but looks like the guy made the right choice. Grizzlies my new nba team this year.

What leverage does a second round pick have to negotiate a contract like this which appears to be better than several of the players received who were drafted before KC? It always appeared that draft position determined the size of the contract?

What leverage does a second round pick have to negotiate a contract like this which appears to be better than several of the players received who were drafted before KC? It always appeared that draft position determined the size of the contract?
I think it was about the griz wanting to make a point. It was reported they started hitting up teams as soon as the 2nd round started to trade up for him. So, they got him where they could but valued him higher. JA wants his lil bro/backup happy.

As an aside he put up good numbers in his first summer league game.

This is highly unusual to lock in a 2nd round pick to a 4 year contract with that much guaranteed money just a couple week after drafting him…

Memphis has one of the best front offices in the NBA.

All signs point to them being very excited about Chandler (and the salary cap going up next year helped too)

The Grizz still had their mid level exception to use and they used it on KC. It’s a salary cap move and future roster construction move. What isn’t mentioned is that the final 3 years of his contract are actually for the league minimum.

Still a really good deal for him early and gives him some security, but also makes sense for the Grizz as they potentially lock up a solid role player (or more) for the league minimum when their other young guys start to get paid.

Reactions: DonDiego
Anyone see the Summer League game yesterday Grizz -v- Sixers? KC had a steal at the end on Springer. Two Vols head to head. Unfortunately they never played together while wearing orange.

Reactions: HeadVol77
The leverage was Ja. Sometimes you do your star player a favor, and relatively speaking this was not an expensive one.

I think it was about the griz wanting to make a point. It was reported they started hitting up teams as soon as the 2nd round started to trade up for him. So, they got him where they could but valued him higher. JA wants his lil bro/backup happy.

As an aside he put up good numbers in his first summer league game.
This ^ landed in a perfect spot. Happy for him

Anyone see the Summer League game yesterday Grizz -v- Sixers? KC had a steal at the end on Springer. Two Vols head to head. Unfortunately they never played together while wearing orange.
Stinks Springer and Keon didn’t get a true season with fans in the stands. I don’t feel as connected to them as I do with Chandler Grant etc

My guess would be he scrimmaged with Morant and others, plus as been mentioned his city . Sell more tickets keep #1 player happy. He looked good last night. Blocked a shot, steals, passing and also used his jet packs to blow by.
Dude plays hard , don’t let the glasses fool you. Morant and Chandler together should provide some killer highlights

Well good for him..... Now lets us move on to the vols. No need wasting time on who was, lets look to who is..

My guess would be he scrimmaged with Morant and others, plus as been mentioned his city . Sell more tickets keep #1 player happy. He looked good last night. Blocked a shot, steals, passing and also used his jet packs to blow by.
Dude plays hard , don’t let the glasses fool you. Morant and Chandler together should provide some killer highlights
does not hurt they (him and JA) have a very strong off-the-court relationship. That cant be taken for granted especially since both guys play the same position. Also Kennedy has shown how productive he can be in a guard-heavy rotation.

VN Store

Back