Chances of Hooker Going Pro?

HH will be the QB next year too. He will have time to improve his stock. I hope he gets drafted.

He does not project as an NFL QB. If he gets proper advice he'll not leave early and turn pro. Heupel's system does not prepare QBs for the NFL. It's a college system

He does not project as an NFL QB. If he gets proper advice he'll not leave early and turn pro. Heupel's system does not prepare QBs for the NFL. It's a college system
So why would he stay? If it won’t help him get to the NFL, why not bet on himself during a weak qb class? Do you think Hooker is just happy to stop playing football after his days here are done?

So why would he stay? If it won’t help him get to the NFL, why not bet on himself during a weak qb class? Do you think Hooker is just happy to stop playing football after his days here are done?
He's not liable to benefit from a weak QB class as much as he'd benefit from leading UT to a stellar yr. He doesn't even have a full yr of starting at either VT or here

He's a better passer than Josh Dobbs at this point in his career, IMO. Dude is averaging about 240 ypg against SEC opponents with 12 TDs and only 1 INT and it's not because he's padding his stats against bad teams. His best game was against Alabama.

I don't think he's go pro after this season but he probably could. If he comes back though he could position himself to be one of the first QBs taken.

Uh, I don’t know, the fact that he doesn’t have anything close to NFL ability? It doesn’t mean he can’t be a good college QB. But, the NFL and college are light years apart. Completely different animals.

At best, he gets invited to camp somewhere as a UFA, but I don’t even see that happening.

And you are basing this opinion on what exactly? You said it’s a fact that he doesn’t have NFL ability. How is that a fact when it’s based off of an unqualified opinion?

Nobody knew who the heck Joe Burrow was. So why not?
At the same stage…first year after his transfer? Knew a lot less. May have been drafted. He was projected as a 6th rounder going into that final season and he did slightly better. 😉 Good point! He definitely should come back.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
And you are basing this opinion on what exactly? You said it’s a fact that he doesn’t have NFL ability. How is that a fact when it’s based off of an unqualified opinion?

I’ll tell you what…let’s circle back after his class goes through the draft.

As I’ve watched Hooker this season, I see a hard nosed kid with amazing size, great arm strength, escapability, a lot of experience, and the ability to process a new, fast-paced offense quickly. I could see him declaring for the draft. I think he would kill it for scouts during pro day. I think he’s better than half of the guys drafted in recent years who have turned out to be busts. I’m not saying he’s a top 5 pick or anything, but I could see him being a 2nd or 3rd rounder. What do y’all think the chances of him going pro are?

You don’t watch much pro football, do you?

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
You don’t watch much pro football, do you?
Not a ton, but Hooker could easily turn in Justin Fields’ performance for the Bears on Sunday. But seriously, I’m not saying Hooker is going in the first round and will be a franchise qb. It doesn’t matter what year he goes pro, that is unlikely. But, I think he could be a good backup in the league and have a few opportunities along the way. He can improve next year in Knoxville, for sure, or he can improve on the bench in a pro system while making some money. What do we think he’s going to be able to do next year at Tennessee that he wouldn’t also be able to do next year in the NFL as far as honing his skill?

Not early. Perhaps downstream. There is a good crop of QB's playing now. UT has played 3 games where the announcers mentioned Heisman candidates. Pitt, Ole Miss and Bama.
And Hooker should be mentioned also. If he comes back he could contend for a Heisman and help the team and up his draft stock. He only has 2 ints to I think 16 tds

Hooker will be 24 in a few months. I think it’s likely he comes back, but could see where he’s ready to move on. Is his stock going to be any higher at age 25?
That would be awesome to be 24 in college playing QB and he can get paid now.

Pro Football Network has a list of all of the draft eligible QBs that are ranked and Hooker is not on the list of 50 or so draft eligible QBs.

Only 4 SEC QBs are even projected to be drafted

Matt Corral, Will Levis, JT Daniels, and Bo Nix

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
Pro Football Network has a list of all of the draft eligible QBs that are ranked and Hooker is not on the list of 50 or so draft eligible QBs.

Only 4 SEC QBs are even projected to be drafted

Matt Corral, Will Levis, JT Daniels, and Bo Nix
Yikes! I would have thought he would easily be on that list and thought he would be at least top 20. I think he has more potential than Levis or Nix, and Daniels has hardly played any games this year. Crazy!

Not a ton, but Hooker could easily turn in Justin Fields’ performance for the Bears on Sunday. But seriously, I’m not saying Hooker is going in the first round and will be a franchise qb. It doesn’t matter what year he goes pro, that is unlikely. But, I think he could be a good backup in the league and have a few opportunities along the way. He can improve next year in Knoxville, for sure, or he can improve on the bench in a pro system while making some money. What do we think he’s going to be able to do next year at Tennessee that he wouldn’t also be able to do next year in the NFL as far as honing his skill?

Playing QB in college is light years from playing in the NFL. Justin Fields is a prime example. He will prove to be worse that Trubisky. I don’t know who is scouting QBs for the Bears, but they are a disaster for that franchise.

I hope Hooker lights it up at UT…and I’d be thrilled for him (and us) if he goes #1 in the draft…but I do not see him projecting to the NFL.

Playing QB in college is light years from playing in the NFL. Justin Fields is a prime example. He will prove to be worse that Trubisky. I don’t know who is scouting QBs for the Bears, but they are a disaster for that franchise.

I hope Hooker lights it up at UT…and I’d be thrilled for him (and us) if he goes #1 in the draft…but I do not see him projecting to the NFL.

Maybe the Bears will draft him!

Reactions: EZE

The Bears are a $hit show. At least Fields did not get drafted by the lions.

Yikes! I would have thought he would easily be on that list and thought he would be at least top 20. I think he has more potential than Levis or Nix, and Daniels has hardly played any games this year. Crazy!
With those 3 its a matter of physical attributes.

Nix is a stud athlete with the chance of playing multiple positions in the NFL like a Taysom Hill clone. Levis is 6'3 235 with good wheels and the strongest arm in the conference. Daniels is 6'3 210 with an ultra accurate arm and amazing football IQ. Hooker is 6'4 and an athlete but you can't really project him to another position in the league and he doesn't necessarily have an ultra strong arm.

This season his PFF rating is #23. That sure feels like a NFL QB to us, but I don't think he's there yet. If he improves next year, maybe he gets a shot like Josh Dobbs. I think Dobbs is his ceiling which is not a knock on Cpt Hook at all.

According to PFF we've played some dang good QBs this year... Pickett #2, Young #7, Corral #14. Coming up is Levis #29, and Bennett #15. So we will have played against 4 of the top 5 SEC QB opponents.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

But he's graded #23 by PFF this season, so maybe his stock is rising. How often does PFN update?

VN Store

Back