Chances of Hooker Going Pro?

At this point I would say it’s a mistake…if he keeps improving in these last four games he might work himself into a mid to late round pick though…the thing you never know is how much he feels a need to take a shot at the money and/or who is he listening to when it comes to advice on this matter…

I remember Fuentes at VT had a very decent JUCO QB his first year…nobody thought he was ready for the NFL but he left early anyway…he played just good enough to convince himself he was ready/needed to go pro…I personally hope this doesn’t happen with Hooker cause I do think he’d benefit tremendously from coming back…and our O will be sick next year with him behind center

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
1gmjzy.jpg

As I’ve watched Hooker this season, I see a hard nosed kid with amazing size, great arm strength, escapability, a lot of experience, and the ability to process a new, fast-paced offense quickly. I could see him declaring for the draft. I think he would kill it for scouts during pro day. I think he’s better than half of the guys drafted in recent years who have turned out to be busts. I’m not saying he’s a top 5 pick or anything, but I could see him being a 2nd or 3rd rounder. What do y’all think the chances of him going pro are?
I think he comes back for another year and and will be a pre season Heisman favorite next year. If he comes back for another year he will most definitely raise his draft stock. He had a lot to like in a player and pro teams will want him. Two years under this system will do him great.

Very slim. Dobbs is a pretty perfect comparison for him. Very good/not great athlete that excels in college by using his athleticism, but doesn't seem to have the skills typical of a NFL starting caliber QB (or at least, he hasn't displayed them yet).

Drew Lock was a significantly more productive QB than Hendon playing under Heupel. He routinely made NFL caliber throws. He was only a 2nd rounder. Kyle Trask was a Heisman finalist last year and was a 3rd rounder. The point I'm making is that it is extremely hard to crack the top 3 rounds in the draft for a QB. Just because this is a down year for QBs for the 2022 draft doesn't really do much either. That just means less QBs will be drafted overall.

Last edited:
I’d be absolutely shocked if he were to get drafted. I’d be shocked if he were to even declare. The only time you see kids that are a first year starter get drafted is when they play on championship level teams. The best thing he could possibly do for himself is come back and have an amazing year next year.
He isn’t a first year starter. In 2 years at Tech and 8 games here in Knoxville he has accumulated 5,921 passing and rushing yards with 58 touchdowns with only 9 interceptions while completing 65% of his passes. To me that seems like it’s good enough to get drafted to me. But what do I know?

Based on what?

Uh, I don’t know, the fact that he doesn’t have anything close to NFL ability? It doesn’t mean he can’t be a good college QB. But, the NFL and college are light years apart. Completely different animals.

At best, he gets invited to camp somewhere as a UFA, but I don’t even see that happening.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
But Hooker is a better passer than Dobbs was.

That's debatable. It's an entirely different system. Hooker doesn't have a huge arm.. Not saying he has a weak arm, but his arm doesn't stand out from other QBs. He takes too many sacks when he should probably get rid of it. Doesn't make many NFL level throws. I just think people need to understand how hard it is to get drafted in the first 3 rounds as a QB.3

There is a reason he still isn't on anyone's radar in regards to the 2022 NFL draft.

Remember Tyler Bray lasted a few years as a back up and never played a snap in a game. That's the kind of NFL career you really want. No injury and lots of money.
Yup make a roaster for 3yrs and you're fully vested in the NFL pension plan and even if you never start you can always say you were a NFL QB.

Slim and none. That is if he wants to have a chance in the pros. Needs all the time in college he can get.

Here’s a general list of draft prospects:

Matt Corral, Ole Miss - 6’2 205
Kenny Pickett, Pitt - 6’2 220
Malik Willis, Liberty - 6’1 225
Carson Strong, Nevada - 6’3 225
Desmond Ritter, Cincinnati - 6’3 225
Sam Howell, UNC - 6’1 220

Others: Spenser Rattler OU, Kevin Slovis USC, UCLA qb, Coastal Carolina qb

Some of those guys have dropped due to poor performances so far this year (Howell, Rattler, Slovis) and might not declare. I’m not saying Hooker tops this list, but I think he has a lot of upside that would be attractive to an NFL GM. On average 10 qbs get drafted each year. I think Hooker has a better chance of being top 10 this year than next year, based on who will be draft eligible/declare.

That's debatable. It's an entirely different system. Hooker doesn't have a huge arm.. Not saying he has a weak arm, but his arm doesn't stand out from other QBs. He takes too many sacks when he should probably get rid of it. Doesn't make many NFL level throws. I just think people need to understand how hard it is to get drafted in the first 3 rounds as a QB.3

There is a reason he still isn't on anyone's radar in regards to the 2022 NFL draft.
He has 5,921 all purpose yards with 58 touchdowns and 9 int’s while completing 65% of his passes that cover 2 years at Tech and 8 games here which if he didn’t start the first 2 games at UT. He is good enough to play in the NFL. If UT was 7-1 or 6-2 right now he would be getting praise. But being 4-4 don’t get a lot of attention from “experts”. Experts get it wrong every year with players. There is no exact science on this.

Captain Hook is hooked on the Vols. He ain't leaving.
I've no idea about Peter Pan, but Captain Hook is staying.
So recruits, I say this:

There's barrels of fun
For everyone
And you'll get award treasures
By the ton
So come and sign the book

Join up with Captain Hook!

Very slim chance. He has three years of average film to combat his one year of good film in which he'll likely be labeled a system QB.

Reactions: Carp
He has 5,921 all purpose yards with 58 touchdowns and 9 int’s while completing 65% of his passes that cover 2 years at Tech and 8 games here which if he didn’t start the first 2 games at UT. He is good enough to play in the NFL. If UT was 7-1 or 6-2 right now he would be getting praise. But being 4-4 don’t get a lot of attention from “experts”. Experts get it wrong every year with players. There is no exact science on this.

Dude, we're talking about likelihood of him being drafted, not whether or not he'll be a succesful NFL Qb. Experts are wrong every year, true. That's why Brady was a 6th round pick. But even Brady was a 6th round QB for a reason. he didn't show enough ability in college to warrant an earlier pick. Rarely do you see a QB that was on no one's radar prior to the draft getting selected in the top 3 rounds. Hooker is literally on no draft expert's radar currently. Even Trey Lance, who 99% of the population was unaware of prior to February, had draft experts talking about him before the 2020 season. Kyle Trask, a 2021 3rd round pick, was all over draft boards prior to 2020 season, with some as high as a 2nd round selection, but most in the late round area. And Trask was coming off a huge 2019 season.

It’s not debatable, just like saying Dobbs was a better runner isn’t debatable. Hooker has thrown some balls, in the red zone, with placement Dobbs could only dream of. That doesn’t mean hooker is going to be drafted, or that he’s a better QB than Dobbs was here, but he’s way more accurate than Dobbs was at UT. One thing that kills me with hooker though is his reads in our read option game are terrible. I love the man, but jeez, that needs to get cleaned up. I hope he comes back next year and just continues to progress. I really do love watching him play football.

Very slim chance. He has three years of average film to combat his one year of good film in which he'll likely be labeled a system QB.

This.

I like Hooker. But 1 year of college production is not the determining factor on getting drafted high, unless you're putting up a historical season like Burrow, Mac Jones, or Cam Newton. But even those guys were getting NFL draft buzz halfway through their breakout seasons. You're aren't seeing anything for Hooker. The odds he gets drafted in the top 3 rounds are very slim at the moment, and there's not much incentive for Hooker to leave early if he isn't getting selected in the early rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: cncchris33
I don't think so. If we were a top tier team, I think he would get a much closer look, but at our current state, I think it's likely HH will be back with the Vols next year. I think Harrison Bailey will transfer after season's end, and Coach Heupel will bring in two QB's in recruiting.

VN Store

Back