Chance at a decent recruiting class?

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
Right now we are ranked 30th by 247 and 31st by Rivals, 11th in the SEC. To those of you that are in tune with recruiting, can we finish better than this? Any chance at top 15?
I suspect chances improve if we can beat the Tigers this Saturday

Probably but Heupel's focus has to be on the portal this year. UT loses a lot of key guys. They need DL's ready to play next fall. They need DB's ready to play next fall. They're going to need some OL help even if the back ups develop. I think he needs to get good players out of HS but the portal is more critical.

We have so many openings we will be stuffing them in. That said, recruits are going to be waiting to see how the team does. I mean, we just had a huge turn around and people will want to see if it sticks as well as observe the play style and see if they fit. I dont expect too much this year from HS because season is now so early but like @sjt18 said, the focus is going to be raiding the portal.

If we can at least pull a 6-6 this year and compete well in a bowl, we will really begin to see the results on the recruiting trail next year, I think. Its going to be a multi year effort. Meanwhile the new portal rules favors us being able to raid other teams who are stacked with 4*s

We have so many openings we will be stuffing them in. That said, recruits are going to be waiting to see how the team does. I mean, we just had a huge turn around and people will want to see if it sticks as well as observe the play style and see if they fit. I dont expect too much this year from HS because season is now so early but like @sjt18 said, the focus is going to be raiding the portal.

If we can at least pull a 6-6 this year and compete well in a bowl, we will really begin to see the results on the recruiting trail next year, I think. Its going to be a multi year effort. Meanwhile the new portal rules favors us being able to raid other teams who are stacked with 4*s

What are the new portal rules?

As long as the cloud of NCAA sanctions hangs over our heads, our ceiling in recruiting is very low. Bottom line, for the next couple of years we're going to have to hope our coaches can develop like no staff before and we're going to have to get lucky in finding diamonds in the rough, starting at the QB position. And yes, we're going to have to absolutely raid the transfer portal and the JUCO ranks.

Reactions: Volfan1000 and sona
Get Nolen, flip a few in-state kids in the Top 20 and it'll be a solid 1st year class. Hit the portal for needs, depth and experience. With that , we will also lose more to the portal hopefully it is the 2-4 deep and not another overhaul of starters or key contributors like last year.

Last edited:
Right now we are ranked 30th by 247 and 31st by Rivals, 11th in the SEC. To those of you that are in tune with recruiting, can we finish better than this? Any chance at top 15?
I suspect chances improve if we can beat the Tigers this Saturday

The only chance to improve rides with the outcome on the investigation. Game outcomes have less impact on recruiting at this juncture.

You can sign up to 32 players in a class, instead of the 25 limit. Of course there are/were plenty of ways around the 25 limit, but this certainly makes it easier to restock a roster.

You have to lose up to 7 players to the portal to sign 7 transfers. Right now we have 2 in the 2022 portal.

You can sign up to 32 players in a class, instead of the 25 limit. Of course there are/were plenty of ways around the 25 limit, but this certainly makes it easier to restock a roster.
Well, it also means Bama, UGA, Clemson, UF, etc. can take 7 more good prospects that now won't be available. If they don't have that many transfers, they will git shirt under performers, and the rich will get richer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
If you want to compete with the big rivals, yes you need a top 5 minimum SEC class. Heupel might be a good developer, (not saying he is, but it's year one so... hard to tell) but uh... 11 as it stands will not get it done. Unless you happen to find a gem like Cam Sutton in every 3-star prospect which I sincerely doubt. I'd expect next year to be a struggle if recruiting doesn't drastically change.

Reactions: hog88
I am not sweating it, the class will get better. The recruits need to "see" we are improving and then they will come. Heupels offense is too much fun when it is rolling for recruits not to want to come here and Rodney Garner is helping with the defense (and he can recruit at a high level).

Keep a positive open mind and don't sweat the stuff we cannot control (like NCAA sanctions).

6-6 or better

Recruiting will improve

Transfers improve

We will be around the 20 mark probably and that's fine.

For these next two seasons we just need to prove we can beat the mid pack SEC teams.

Do that and you gotta think guys will wanna play for these likeable coaches and play in the systems they have on offense and defense.

If the team continues to show good signs of life like they have so far, Tennessee should be very attractive to good players looking to transfer and get immediate playing time.
It will also help HS recruiting

So with the new rules, how many players max can we take this class? Including transfers.

Are we talking Butch Jones 32 and 30 player classes? That's what we need. I don't care if it's a bunch of 3-stars, we need depth.

If you want to compete with the big rivals, yes you need a top 5 minimum SEC class. Heupel might be a good developer, (not saying he is, but it's year one so... hard to tell) but uh... 11 as it stands will not get it done. Unless you happen to find a gem like Cam Sutton in every 3-star prospect which I sincerely doubt. I'd expect next year to be a struggle if recruiting doesn't drastically change.
A top 10 class nationally wouldn't be much help next season if it meant you'd have to start a bunch of true freshmen. That's just not a recipe for success in the SEC. It helps if you have quality pieces and depth already in place and you can fill in 3 to 4 positions total. We don't have that right now. Development and the portal are the fastest route to any level of success for us. I would consider an 8-4 regular season with a chance at 9 wins with a bowl game successful within the first 3 seasons.

VN Store

Back