Chance at a decent recruiting class?

Tennessee has more talent this year than they will in the foreseeable future. Our recruiting program is in disarray with no help on the horizon. The Chancellor screwed our program. I don’t see any way out. We are headed for a Mizzu type program. Heupel can coach up 2 and 3 star guys who can win 6 to 7ish games a year.

Tennessee has more talent this year than they will in the foreseeable future. Our recruiting program is in disarray with no help on the horizon. The Chancellor screwed our program. I don’t see any way out. We are headed for a Mizzu type program. Heupel can coach up 2 and 3 star guys who can win 6 to 7ish games a year.
Let’s see what the class looks like in December before jumping off a bridge.

A top 10 class nationally wouldn't be much help next season if it meant you'd have to start a bunch of true freshmen. That's just not a recipe for success in the SEC. It helps if you have quality pieces and depth already in place and you can fill in 3 to 4 positions total. We don't have that right now. Development and the portal are the fastest route to any level of success for us. I would consider an 8-4 regular season with a chance at 9 wins with a bowl game successful within the first 3 seasons.
This is lunacy.

You don't fill a class with transfers, but the portal and one time transfer eligibility rule has created recruiting opportunities that have never existed before. This isn't like signing a ton of JUCO guys.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
You don't fill a class with transfers, but the portal and one time transfer eligibility rule has created recruiting opportunities that have never existed before. This isn't like signing a ton of JUCO guys.
Do you think any of the guys we brought in via the portal this year have been difference makers? Because I don’t.

Do you think any of the guys we brought in via the portal this year have been difference makers? Because I don’t.
I think they will be, and Payton is one of our top receivers. Mitchell has been dinged up at LB, but I think he will show up in a major way as the season progresses. I think Terry will be a starter on the DL next season. I also think William Mohan, Turnage, and Hadden will be major contributors next season with one of the DB's starting. It's still early so we may see a couple of those guys show up this season. The fact that the portal will allow for guys with 3-4 years of eligibility left to play immediately is one of the biggest factors. The OL is where we could get major help next season through the portal. Even if it's just as quality depth.

See I don’t agree but I’m not too big on stars I look more at the committable offers. We’ve seen a plenty of 5 ⭐️ guys who never panned out and transfered out. We need consistency the same core guys for 3-4 years straight. We’ve outrecruited Kentucky,Mizzou and South Carolina for the majority of the last decade yet we are fighting tooth and nail against those same teams for winning seasons every year,we need consistency and quality depth for a few years and then I’m confident we can put aside the aforementioned “little” east teams and move on to UGA and Florida when we can stable depth which we are severely lacking especially on the offensive front. This weekend will be a good test to see where our program is and what areas we should recruit the hardest. Go Vols baby

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
They've been down for so long that younger fans (what few we have) have no living memory of the Vols actually competing for championships. Throw in the people who think the only way to right the ship is staff stability, even if that means three or four losing seasons in a row, and there is a fairly large contingent of the fanbase who would be perfectly content to root for 6-7ish win per season program for the rest of their lives.

Probably but Heupel's focus has to be on the portal this year. UT loses a lot of key guys. They need DL's ready to play next fall. They need DB's ready to play next fall. They're going to need some OL help even if the back ups develop. I think he needs to get good players out of HS but the portal is more critical.

This. I think many people fail to understand just how depleted our roster is. Star power is only an indicator. It’s not fool proof. This is the least talented UT team I’ve ever witnessed AND least amount of depth. It’s going to take more than a good coach to turn it around. We need boosters and fans and former players to all pull in the same direction for 3 or 4 years. No room for negativity.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I think unless we get some surprises our best finish will be inside top 25.. this is assuming we land Walter Nolan... and for a first year in new Head coach and the looming investigation stuff, i'm not gonna worry too much yet... but year 2 having a full year cycle and year 3 recruiting need to take steps forward...

So ideally finishes like this...
2022 - Top 25.
2023 - Top 20/15
2024 - Top 10...

If he can recruit in these ranges and continue to develop players and grow as a coach. Then I believe he will be successful, i see little things that are encouraging but landing blue chip players and sustained good recruiting is crucial to his success..

The past 2 coaches were good recruiters but not great at coaching or culture.. HOWEVER this has flipped, i believe CJH is a good coach and is building a good culture.. but he must become a really good recruiter to have sustained success.

Reactions: CJBlaze
The naivety about recruiting is mind boggling. Ole Miss was flagrantly violating NCAA rules and got a slap on the wrist AND that was a different era, pre new NIL.

Our recruiting better step into the 2020s or Heupel won’t have a chance.

I think unless we get some surprises our best finish will be inside top 25.. this is assuming we land Walter Nolan... and for a first year in new Head coach and the looming investigation stuff, i'm not gonna worry too much yet... but year 2 having a full year cycle and year 3 recruiting need to take steps forward...

So ideally finishes like this...
2022 - Top 25.
2023 - Top 20/15
2024 - Top 10...

If he can recruit in these ranges and continue to develop players and grow as a coach. Then I believe he will be successful, i see little things that are encouraging but landing blue chip players and sustained good recruiting is crucial to his success..

The past 2 coaches were good recruiters but not great at coaching or culture.. HOWEVER this has flipped, i believe CJH is a good coach and is building a good culture.. but he must become a really good recruiter to have sustained success.
We will finish around top 15 this year. Gonna be a whole lot of new faces at the end of the season.

Players need to realize if they’re going for the playoffs, there’s about 8 schools with reasonable shot. Otherwise you’re in a meaningless bowl game you probably don’t give a f about anyway.

I think they will be, and Payton is one of our top receivers. Mitchell has been dinged up at LB, but I think he will show up in a major way as the season progresses. I think Terry will be a starter on the DL next season. I also think William Mohan, Turnage, and Hadden will be major contributors next season with one of the DB's starting. It's still early so we may see a couple of those guys show up this season. The fact that the portal will allow for guys with 3-4 years of eligibility left to play immediately is one of the biggest factors. The OL is where we could get major help next season through the portal. Even if it's just as quality depth.

I agree, the guy transfers we have added via the portal have helped big time (+Tremblay and McGrath as well). I think we load up on plug and play Portal and Juco guys next year.

VN Store

Back