CFP Scenarios (merged)

TCU has to lose
Clemson has to lose twice
Oregon has to lose again

TN has to win out
UGA has to win out

TCU and Clemson have to lose.

They don't have too but would be helpful. Honestly, I think Clemson is a lock to go 13-0.

Winner of Michigan / Ohio State will go 13-0

SEC will have 2 teams in the playoff and it will be as such:

13-0 UGA and 11-1 Tennessee OR 12-1 UGA and 12-1 Bama or Ole Miss (Disclaimer: I think there is no chance LSU wins tonight)

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Vols need to beat everyone else on the schedule by 3 TDs and not have Hooker play like he did today . And then hope a few other team slip up and piss down their own leg

TCU and Clemson have to lose.
Doubt we would need both to lose. Current bracket would be Georgia, Big 10 champ, ACC champ, and Big 12 champ (assuming they all win out). We would be highest one loss team in the country. We do need Alabama to lose in the SEC championship game though, and either Clemson or TCU to lose 1.

Clemson needs to lose, Bama needs another lose. Potentially a TCU loss. Even if all that happens we we'd still have to play Georgia again to win a championship. It's been a nice season but unfortunately all we get now is a chance at 11-1.

If at any point in the last 13 years you asked me if I would settle for an 11-1 season, I would’ve given an emphatic yes. Let’s have some perspective.

Many scenarios still keep us in the playoffs with a solid performance ROS…

2 top 10 wins still (Bama and lsu) and a 14pnt loss to top 3 team.

I’m hurt we lost but just being realistic.

Cheer for Bama and Georgia to destroy everyone. For LSU to destroy everyone except Bama. And hope teams like TCU and Clemson drop at least one

TCU has to lose
Clemson has to lose twice
Oregon has to lose again

TN has to win out
UGA has to win out
Oregon lost by nearly 50 to Georgia. They’re not getting in over Tennessee if records are the same. Clemson loses they have a worse loss and nowhere near as good a win as Tennessee.

Guys yall are overthinking the playoff math. There is a reason getting #1 in the first rankings is such a big deal. The main thing to watch is Week 2 rankings from the playoff committee. If we are #5 or better (I think #4 could be realistic based on our loss and OSU performance today), we very much control our destiny with the only hiccup being UGA losing in Atlanta.

Reactions: counterdevotee
Tennessee's out. Ohio State/Michigan will get at least 1, UGA will get 1, Clemson will get 1 unless they lose (but they're in the ACC so they won't lose), and that leaves one slot. That final slot's gonna go to either undefeated TCU, a one-loss Alabama that wins the SECCG, or the loser of Michigan-Ohio State.

Tennessee losing in the way it did to UGA is gonna drop them into that pool but with TCU and Clemson being undefeated, it's just not going to happen.

Cheer for Bama and Georgia to destroy everyone. For LSU to destroy everyone except Bama. And hope teams like TCU and Clemson drop at least one

Idk, if i had my preferred outcome, I'd take Bama winning tonight and then losing to Ole Miss next week for UGA vs Ole Miss in Atlanta which should be a very likely UGA victory.

If we win out there’s a slight chance we could sneak into the #4 slot… We need UGA to win the SEC and stay at #1. Also it would help a lot if Clemson and TCU have a loss. This game felt like a blowout but we only lost by 2 scores, so it shouldn’t drop us THAT far down.

If at any point in the last 13 years you asked me if I would settle for an 11-1 season, I would’ve given an emphatic yes. Let’s have some perspective.

Not saying it's nothing to hang your hat on. It just will be disappointing to have to watch a schmuck team like Clemson get to play for a championship over us because of one loss to the most dominant team in the country.

Reactions: MEDVOL
Tennessee's out. Ohio State/Michigan will get at least 1, UGA will get 1, Clemson will get 1 unless they lose (but they're in the ACC so they won't lose), and that leaves one slot. That final slot's gonna go to either undefeated TCU, a one-loss Alabama that wins the SECCG, or the loser of Michigan-Ohio State.

Tennessee losing in the way it did to UGA is gonna drop them into that pool but with TCU and Clemson being undefeated, it's just not going to happen.

Loser of Michigan / OSU will be done since their game is the last week of the season. Who ever loses that game will drop 3-4 spots.

Win out.
UGA win the SECC
TCU, Clemson, or Michigan/OSU lose.
Hope for the best.

UGA and Ohio/Michigan seem to be locks. Clemson and TCU control their own destiny and we’re in the uncomfortable spot of hoping for a few undefeated teams to lose. Even then it’s no guarantee.

Last edited:
Win out. Need TCU and Clemson to lose. And Georgia beat Bama. That happens (which very well could) and we win out and I think we are the 4 seed

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back