CFP Committee 5 Criteria - time for Danny to do what Danny does

Maybe they should all just keep quiet. Just focus on what they can control and pound whoever we play wherever they play. After we celebrate our Cotton Bowl win then call out the fact that we were wronged by being shafted out of the Orange Bowl if in fact it happens.

• Strength of schedule. According to SI, Tennessee #24 - Alabama #53
  • Head-to-head game results. Tennessee 52 Alabama 49
  • Results vs. teams in Top 25 rankings. Alabama 3-2 Tennessee 5-1
  • Results vs. common opponents. LSU -Bama loss/ Tennessee rout Vandy -Bama @home 55-3 UT road win 56-0
  • Conference championships. Neither team will play
After looking at things this way, this isn't even close. Why state the criteria if they are to be thrown out the window? Danny White did a great job with P/R at UCF. I think its high time he get on Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, SVP, any and everyone that will give him an interview and demand the CFP Committee follow it's own rules. I get the fact Hooker is hurt; however, if it were that important personnel matters would be listed as a criterion. The more I explore this, the more sickened I become. I also think banging the drum loudly about this will exert even more pressure to squash the whining from (We don't play anyone) OSU about the Rose Bowl.

Go Vols!
This isn't mine but I found it in another thread. I believe it was from 05_never_again but I'm not good enough to link to a message from one thread to another. But this is a little history of how the committee has behaved and how it's not "bias" against UT.

--------quoted not my research------
I think this is the best way to say this...

Can you make a plausible argument that we should be #6, ahead of Alabama? Yes. However, I see why people have a hard time entertaining that argument when we lost by 25 as a 22 point favorite to an unranked opponent.

Lots of people are talking about some kind of bias where we are judged more harshly for that loss than another team would be. People seem to have forgotten that in 2017, the committee held Ohio St - not UT, not some "little engine that could" team, Ohio freaking St out of the playoff for getting blown out by an unranked Iowa team, even though their only other loss was to #5 (finished #3) Oklahoma and they won the Big Ten title game. The same thing happened to them again in 2018; their only loss that season was a blowout loss to Purdue. They had 4 victories over ranked opponents and won the Big Ten title game too, but still didn't get in.

It happens. We choked and got embarrassed. You can argue that we're under-ranked by one spot, but we don't deserve to be any higher than we are. Let's move on.
---------end quote-----------

Last edited:
We got our brains beat in by South Carolina.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.

Lack of common sense alert. We deserve to be ahead of Bama cause we beat them. There’s your damn period. Neither team is making the playoff at this point. It ain’t about that.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
I honestly don't think it's the USCe loss. That's just one data point.

The thing that I think tipped the scales in Bama's favor from the CFP Committee's perspective is this: without Hendon Hooker, we are not a better team than Bama with Bryce Young.

Simple as that.

And I honestly can't say I disagree with them. We needed every bit of Hendon's ability to beat Bama. And we are not quite the same team with him out.

As much as I always hate to admit things like this, the Bama squad of early December are a slightly better football team than the Vols squad of early December, 2022.

The Committee are ranking the teams as honestly and carefully as they can, using every bit of information available to them. Can't fault the committee for doing that. Generally speaking we WANT them to do that.

Go Vols!
NO. We want them to go by the CRITERIA they set. not feelings or hunches. The Criteria that is in place. Therefore, we should be ahead of Bama and going to the Sugar Bowl.

Neither of us are getting in the playoff regardless. It's going to be either Southern Cal or Ohio State in that last spot, depending on who wins Southern Cal vs. Utah tonight.

Also, we are 2-2 vs. teams ranked in the Top 25 by the Committee. It's who is in the Top 25 now, not who was overrated in week 4. Florida for example, is not a ranked win, they turned out to suck.

Reactions: orange blossom
iu

that is not the only criteria. they have other considerations that they consider, injuries are considered, they review film, they get analytics from an analysis firm, they discuss each team in their meetings and there is other considerations made. Decisions are not made just on those 5 items.

CFP Selection Committee Protocol

They have a lot of discretion outside of the 5 items you listed. and most important, the human element. Humans have biases that they just can't wipe from their memory. If you read through all the information on the site it is easy to see there is a lot involved.. One member can make an argument that convinces others to change a view.

Consider this "principle" they list. The criteria you mention is CONSIDER when coming to conclusions but it doesn't say must be followed. Besides injuries, what are "other relevant factors"?

• The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
So who has the control of the Bowl Selection the CFP Committee or the Bowl Committee? I would think it would be the Bowl Committee because of $$$$ to choose the more profitable Teams and to avoid repeats. If OSU turns the Rose Bowl down are they not taking taking a risk?

So much crying over something that does not matter.
Lol . . . That's really true. If we both had 1 loss and were 4 and 5 or something, it'd actually be a thing. When it all comes down to it, in a couple of months nobody will remember who finished where in the top 10, they'll just remember that we beat Alabama.

yes it is. Our game with Bama was a toss-up. We didn't beat the crap out of them.
Toss up?!?! Last I checked TN vs Bama didn't end in a tie. There is only W/L/T and we got the W that's all that matters. Point spreads should only matter if everything else is equal between two teams and point spread should only be applied against teams played in common, actually the only real time point spread should be a thing is for those that are betting in Vegas and online.
This subjective crap is as bad as boxing. Remember watching boxing on HBO a few times when I was younger with my dad and it would go to the end, 1 guy clearly beat the other guy even left him bruised and swollen up, even put the guy on the mat yet still loses to the guy that clearly should have lost.

• Strength of schedule. According to SI, Tennessee #24 - Alabama #53
  • Head-to-head game results. Tennessee 52 Alabama 49
  • Results vs. teams in Top 25 rankings. Alabama 3-2 Tennessee 5-1
  • Results vs. common opponents. LSU -Bama loss/ Tennessee rout Vandy -Bama @home 55-3 UT road win 56-0
  • Conference championships. Neither team will play
After looking at things this way, this isn't even close. Why state the criteria if they are to be thrown out the window? Danny White did a great job with P/R at UCF. I think its high time he get on Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, SVP, any and everyone that will give him an interview and demand the CFP Committee follow it's own rules. I get the fact Hooker is hurt; however, if it were that important personnel matters would be listed as a criterion. The more I explore this, the more sickened I become. I also think banging the drum loudly about this will exert even more pressure to squash the whining from (We don't play anyone) OSU about the Rose Bowl.

Go Vols!

I’m afraid it’s Bang the Drum Slowly, friend.

They need to add "Full Body of Work" to their criteria. Apparently, this was used in the discussion which landed us a lower ranking.

The good news is the committee only has one more year to screw things up and upset fans.
Have no idea how you've come to that conclusion. You really think in a 12 team playoff that the committee won't screw teams 13-18 and those teams fans won't be upset?

Reactions: GDV
So who has the control of the Bowl Selection the CFP Committee or the Bowl Committee? I would think it would be the Bowl Committee because of $$$$ to choose the more profitable Teams and to avoid repeats. If OSU turns the Rose Bowl down are they not taking taking a risk?

Bowl contracts are with the CFP and conferences. That is for the bowls involved with the football playoffs. The Rose was just threatened on losing their playoff slot due to not buying into 12 team playoff. They were told make a decision by this past Wednesday or lose spot.

That tells me the college football playoff organization packs some power.

I doubt they turn it down without knowing they have an alternate spot.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
The committee is political in that they want "Bluebloods" in the CFP. They have Bama above us because in their minds (at some level I understand it) Tennessee despite our record is no longer a final 4 caliber team with Hooker out. So let's assume Georgia and Michigan win, both heavy favorites, but USC & TCU lose, they want the option of putting Bama in over a 1 loss TCU. It will probably come down to the type of loss TCU suffers, double digit and they're out. I'm hoping that happens actually because if Bama's in the CFP we're going to the Sugar Bowl and I love me some New Orleans.

Lol . . . That's really true. If we both had 1 loss and were 4 and 5 or something, it'd actually be a thing. When it all comes down to it, in a couple of months nobody will remember who finished where in the top 10, they'll just remember that we beat Alabama.
That's my point exactly. We beat Alabama. If in the future we've won 6 titles in 14 years or whatever it is, we would get that extra nudge. But that's where Alabama is now. Whatever. We beat Alabama. That's what matters.

We got our brains beat in by South Carolina.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.

Unfortunately we have this------The Legacy of Jeremy Banks. That performance vs SC rests squarely on his shoulders. Disruption ..........

This isn't mine but I found it in another thread. I believe it was from 05_never_again but I'm not good enough to link to a message from one thread to another. But this is a little history of how the committee has behaved and how it's not "bias" against UT.

--------quoted not my research------
I think this is the best way to say this...

Can you make a plausible argument that we should be #6, ahead of Alabama? Yes. However, I see why people have a hard time entertaining that argument when we lost by 25 as a 22 point favorite to an unranked opponent.

Lots of people are talking about some kind of bias where we are judged more harshly for that loss than another team would be. People seem to have forgotten that in 2017, the committee held Ohio St - not UT, not some "little engine that could" team, Ohio freaking St out of the playoff for getting blown out by an unranked Iowa team, even though their only other loss was to #5 (finished #3) Oklahoma and they won the Big Ten title game. The same thing happened to them again in 2018; their only loss that season was a blowout loss to Purdue. They had 4 victories over ranked opponents and won the Big Ten title game too, but still didn't get in.

It happens. We choked and got embarrassed. You can argue that we're under-ranked by one spot, but we don't deserve to be any higher than we are. Let's move on.
---------end quote-----------
That’s not an apples to apples comparison though, that’s arguing why they’re out of the playoffs not why they’re ranked behind someone they beat. They were left out in 2018 despite only 1 loss, because there was 3 undefeated teams (Bama, Clemson and ND) and the other 1 loss champ (OU) lost by 3 on a neutral field to TX, vs. OSU’s 29. The 2017 situation was exactly as it stated; they had 2 losses while the other 4 participants were P5 champs with 1 loss or less or just a team with 1 loss (i.e. Bama). They weren’t deserving of going in those two seasons compared to the other teams, given the resumes you had to compare. In our case vs. Bama you have tangible and direct comparison points; H2H and results vs. common opponents. Those are rarely available when comparing teams from other conferences.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
The committee is political in that they want "Bluebloods" in the CFP. They have Bama above us because in their minds (at some level I understand it) Tennessee despite our record is no longer a final 4 caliber team with Hooker out. So let's assume Georgia and Michigan win, both heavy favorites, but USC & TCU lose, they want the option of putting Bama in over a 1 loss TCU. It will probably come down to the type of loss TCU suffers, double digit and they're out. I'm hoping that happens actually because if Bama's in the CFP we're going to the Sugar Bowl and I love me some New Orleans.

If a 10-2 Alabama is in, and a 10-2 Tennessee, who beat Alabama head-head is out, then the CFP should have the sack to simply state 'we wanted Bama in and that's that' instead of the BS arguments they (and some BVS Vols in here) are spewing.

Have no idea how you've come to that conclusion. You really think in a 12 team playoff that the committee won't screw teams 13-18 and those teams fans won't be upset?

Yeah, I'll give you that.

I don't think I've read anything on how the final poll will be determined. Will there still be a committee?

At any rate a few 100K less fans will be pi$$ed. I hope were don't come in 13th (or below) for a long while!

VN Store

Back