CFP Committee 5 Criteria - time for Danny to do what Danny does

We lost 2 by 39 they lost 2 by 4. I think it’s fine that they are above us. They will probably get a better bowl game too. It doesn’t matter as neither will get into the playoffs anyway.

We lost to the East #1 and #3 teams and beat the West #1 and #2 teams. Bama lost to the East #2 and West #1 and beat the East #7. Sure Bama didn’t lose 2 games by 39, they also played Vandy instead of UGA or SCAR. This Bama team would have lost by 3-4 TDs to UGA and likely to SCAR if they played them at the end of the year like we did.

But Tennessee beat them and so did LSU.

There’s no logical reason to have them ranked ahead us just because their losses are “better”.
We beat them cause their kicker missed a FG and ours didn’t. Our heisman-trophy candidate QB can’t play anymore. It’s easy to see why people would rank bama over us.
I think it’s not super clear cut cause their best win is at #21 Texas.

The committee has shown that losses matter more than wins. Say UT beat UGA, Michigan, TCU, and Southern Cal this year while also losing to UF and UK and end the season 10-2. If we were the only loss to all 4 teams we beat, so they all went 11-1, they would put those 4 teams in the playoffs over us.

We lost to the East #1 and #3 teams and beat the West #1 and #2 teams. Bama lost to the East #2 and West #1 and beat the East #7. Sure Bama didn’t lose 2 games by 39, they also played Vandy instead of UGA or SCAR. This Bama team would have lost by 3-4 TDs to UGA and likely to SCAR if they played them at the end of the year like we did.
Yeah Bama not having any really good wins is making me think that it’s more of a wash. But I think without hooker we couldn’t win against the top caliber of teams (which is really just UGA and Michigan)

We got our brains beat in by South Carolina.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.
While I agree to an extent, the rules should never change to accommodate an inconvenient truth. I do personally agree that that SC loss was our turd in the punchbowl.

The committee has shown that losses matter more than wins. Say UT beat UGA, Michigan, TCU, and Southern Cal this year while also losing to UF and UK and end the season 10-2. If we were the only loss to all 4 teams we beat, so they all went 11-1, they would put those 4 teams in the playoffs over us.
Probably. But that would be assuming all those teams won conference championships too. That is interesting though.

[QUOTE="spacificislander, post: 22146305, member: 62524"]We beat them cause their kicker missed a FG and ours didn’t. Our heisman-trophy candidate QB can’t play anymore. It’s easy to see why people would rank bama over us.
I think it’s not super clear cut cause their best win is at #21 Texas.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Are we really going to play this game?

Bama could have won with a field goal.

Bama could have won had they stopped us on that drive after we fumbled the ball away for a Bama TD.

Wins matter regardless how the game was won.

It’s such an out dated argument.

We beat them cause their kicker missed a FG and ours didn’t. Our heisman-trophy candidate QB can’t play anymore. It’s easy to see why people would rank bama over us.
I think it’s not super clear cut cause their best win is at #21 Texas.
So wins don't matter? It used to be when someone complained about a loss the answer was Scoreboard. Didn't matter by how much or how little, only that you won.
Our backup QB took the team on the road and beat a hyped up Vandy coming off two SEC wins by more than a previous year Heisman team did at home.
Also it's not set in stone that Bryce will even play in their Bowl game because like others he may sit in order to prepare for the NFL.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.
But, the OP point is that margin of victory /loss is not stated criterion.
The committee should just state that they believe the loss to USCe was so bad that they added that to the conversation and that they added a key Vol player (also not stated as principle criterion) getting injured factoring in.

So if Bryce decides to sit out because they're not in the playoffs and leaving to go Pro.
Players out at this point shouldn't be in the equation unless you're in Vegas betting, if players are a factor it should be only considered at the end because all of the other criteria being a push..
Record, SoS, H2H,Teams in common is pretty much all that's needed
It absolutely could cause the Committee to re-rank if Bryce Young were to announce he's sitting out between now and the final rankings.

Absolutely.

Probably most every coaching staff are asking their players NOT to make any announcements until next week.

Everyone making the argument of how much Tennessee and Bama lost by (including the committee) is failing to see the whole picture. If a team plays at the fastest pace in college football, you would expect their wins to be by more points, and there losses also to be by a larger than average margin. This is exactly what played out for Tennessee but for some reason people are penalizing them and only looking at the losses while ignoring the Kentucky or LSU wins for example. If you look at average margin of victory which would include all of this information Tennessee sits at #4 nationally right ahead of Bama at #5.

Reactions: papatomany
Using the selection committees methodology, it will be hilarious if Michigan loses this weekend. Corum out, and losing to a lesser team.

Reactions: Jpcisco
No way they do that. How are the going to explain ranking TCU over a 1 lost TN at the time, when TN was clearly the better team.
Putting a 1 lost OH over undefeated TCU at this point probably would get committee members ran out of town.
Wouldn't be surprised if some congress person big on sports start calling for an investigation since college sport betting is legal.., may not go anywhere but they'll get their 15min sound bites

all I said was I could see an argument about which was better. Didn't say they would leave TCU out.

So if Michigan gets beat this weekend how far do they fall because their Heisman finalist is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury? If they punish Tennessee due to injury Michigan should get the same treatment with Corum out if they lose.

It absolutely could cause the Committee to re-rank if Bryce Young were to announce he's sitting out between now and the final rankings.

Absolutely.

Probably most every coaching staff are asking their players NOT to make any announcements until next week.
Bryce isn't going to do that and Saban has probably already told him not to *see you edited your post to include coaches

If the committee reranks now it's due to a few people in sports questioning why do you have Bama over TN when TN won H2H and beat both common players...
Bryce announcing he's sitting before Sunday would be a god send for the committee.

Bryce isn't going to do that and Saban has probably already told him not to *see you edited your post to include coaches

If the committee reranks now it's due to a few people in sports questioning why do you have Bama over TN when TN won H2H and beat both common players...
Bryce announcing he's sitting before Sunday would be a god send for the committee.
Yeah, I just had a second thought...

On second thought, maybe the Committee would not re-rank based on players declaring they will sit out a bowl. Because the player can always change their mind at any time *until/unless they hire an agent*. Fellas with a season-ending injury, unfortunately, don't get to change their mind.

So wins don't matter? It used to be when someone complained about a loss the answer was Scoreboard. Didn't matter by how much or how little, only that you won.
Our backup QB took the team on the road and beat a hyped up Vandy coming off two SEC wins by more than a previous year Heisman team did at home.
Also it's not set in stone that Bryce will even play in their Bowl game because like others he may sit in order to prepare for the NFL.
It is set in stone Hooker won’t play in our bowl game.

You are correct. However, based on the CFP criteria, we’re above Alabama. I think most on this board agree that the North Carolina’s footstool loss is horrendous, unacceptable, unexpected and the end of our chance for CFP. However, their criteria are their criteria 🤷🏽‍♂️

You are correct. However, based on the CFP criteria, we’re above Alabama. I think most on this board agree that the North Carolina’s footstool loss is horrendous, unacceptable, unexpected and the end of our chance for CFP. However, their criteria are their criteria 🤷🏽‍♂️
If you read that article it seems like those are examples of their decision making. It says they use their judgment and pick the best teams.
It says the first thing they do is make a list of the 30 best teams. Then the top 6 without ranking them. At a time in the season I think we belonged on the top 6 list, but probably not anymore. I don’t think a top 6 team gets stomped by anyone really. Maybe by like a 95 Nebraska type team, but not by a 22 SCAR team.
Do you really think our team right now is a better football team than Bama?

I honestly don't think it's the USCe loss. That's just one data point.

The thing that I think tipped the scales in Bama's favor from the CFP Committee's perspective is this: without Hendon Hooker, we are not a better team than Bama with Bryce Young.

Simple as that.

And I honestly can't say I disagree with them. We needed every bit of Hendon's ability to beat Bama. And we are not quite the same team with him out.

As much as I always hate to admit things like this, the Bama squad of early December are a slightly better football team than the Vols squad of early December, 2022.

The Committee are ranking the teams as honestly and carefully as they can, using every bit of information available to them. Can't fault the committee for doing that. Generally speaking we WANT them to do that.

Go Vols!
That Bama would beat the Vols with Joe at QB is speculation. Would Bama have scored 49 points if Burrell is at corner instead of Hadden? Again, speculation. The CFP states their criteria so they can be held accountable for their placements. When they throw that criteria out the window and start speculating is when their impartiality starts being questioned.

Why is a 3 loss LSU going to the SECCG when the both have 2 SEC losses because they lost the head to head with LSU .

VN Store

Back