CFP Committee 5 Criteria - time for Danny to do what Danny does

We got our brains beat in by South Carolina.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.
No, a loss is a loss. No matter the score. OP has valid points. We have more ranked wins, tougher schedule and blew out LSU who they lost to. Hell, beating them head to head and having the same record should be enough to put us ahead as well. Any other team would have been put behind TN, but the Bama name gives them the bias recognition. I hope UT can get to a level where the bias favors us as well one day

I honestly don't think it's the USCe loss. That's just one data point.

The thing that I think tipped the scales in Bama's favor from the CFP Committee's perspective is this: without Hendon Hooker, we are not a better team than Bama with Bryce Young.

Simple as that.

And I honestly can't say I disagree with them. We needed every bit of Hendon's ability to beat Bama. And we are not quite the same team with him out.

As much as I always hate to admit things like this, the Bama squad of early December are a slightly better football team than the Vols squad of early December, 2022.

The Committee are ranking the teams as honestly and carefully as they can, using every bit of information available to them. Can't fault the committee for doing that. Generally speaking we WANT them to do that.

Go Vols!
I completely agree with this sentiment, but if I were to play devils advocate. I would say that the only argument being, we beat a motivated vandy team on the road with our back up qb, in a larger margin than bama beat vandy with brice at home.

No, a loss is a loss. No matter the score. OP has valid points. We have more ranked wins, tougher schedule and blew out LSU who they lost to. Hell, beating them head to head and having the same record should be enough to put us ahead as well. Any other team would have been put behind TN, but the Bama name gives them the bias recognition. I hope UT can get to a level where the bias favors us as well one day

I believe the overriding factor was Hooker's injury. I think the committee members asked a question and that was, would Tennessee beat Alabama today without Hooker? They concluded they didn't think so and put Bama ahead of Tennessee.

The rankings use data to determine the best teams today. I think if Hooker were still playing and healthy, Tennessee would be ahead of Bama.

Reactions: spacificislander
I believe the overriding factor was Hooker's injury. I think the committee members asked a question and that was, would Tennessee beat Alabama today without Hooker? They concluded they didn't think so and put Bama ahead of Tennessee.

The rankings use data to determine the best teams today. I think if Hooker were still playing and healthy, Tennessee would be ahead of Bama.
thoughts are irrelevant or at least should be. play is why games are played and outcomes matter

thoughts are irrelevant or at least should be. play is why games are played and outcomes matter

If thoughts were irrelevant, they would not need a committee. They would just feed the data into a computer and come up with the rankings. South Carolina beat Tennessee and Clemson. Should they have been ranked with them?

I honestly don't think it's the USCe loss. That's just one data point.

The thing that I think tipped the scales in Bama's favor from the CFP Committee's perspective is this: without Hendon Hooker, we are not a better team than Bama with Bryce Young.

Simple as that.

And I honestly can't say I disagree with them. We needed every bit of Hendon's ability to beat Bama. And we are not quite the same team with him out.

As much as I always hate to admit things like this, the Bama squad of early December are a slightly better football team than the Vols squad of early December, 2022.

The Committee are ranking the teams as honestly and carefully as they can, using every bit of information available to them. Can't fault the committee for doing that. Generally speaking we WANT them to do that.

Go Vols!
So if Bryce decides to sit out because they're not in the playoffs and leaving to go Pro.
Players out at this point shouldn't be in the equation unless you're in Vegas betting, if players are a factor it should be only considered at the end because all of the other criteria being a push..
Record, SoS, H2H,Teams in common is pretty much all that's needed

Reactions: Putbacks
  • The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
Other relevant factors nothing more a excuse put a team where they want to put them

Reactions: loservol
Also we are not 5-1 against top 25 teams. Pitt and UF and KY aren’t ranked, it should be where teams end up. We lost to #1 UGA and #20 SCAR. We beat #6 Alabama and # 11 LSU. Bama beat #25 Ms St, #21 Texas. Bama lost to #11 LSU and #7 Vols.Nnow it’s interesting Bama’s best win is Texas probably, so we do have better wins than them.
I think people acting shocked and like everyone has it out for us seem like whining babies. It’s definitely stuff I would laugh at other fan bases for. If I was seeding the teams for a playoff I would put Bama over us, unless I only had the job for 1 year, then I would put us #1.

Reactions: leeroyphi136

That wouldn’t be fair then. It is a team sport and they should rank teams based on the previous games without taking injury into consideration. Because if TN gets beat bad in their bowl game then it’ll mean they will be lower than Bama in the end of season rankings anyways

We got ran off the field and embarrassed on national television to Beamer Jr. and Carolina we don’t deserve the playoffs but neither does Bama. Even if we made it we would get embarrassed by any of those teams with Milton at QB.
My beef is the CFP's primary focus is on losses, not wins or strength of schedule. Bama has the edge not because who they played or beat, but because they lost "better" than Tennessee.

That's not the way competitive sports should be.

We lost 2 by 39 they lost 2 by 4. I think it’s fine that they are above us. They will probably get a better bowl game too. It doesn’t matter as neither will get into the playoffs anyway.
That's exactly the reasoning the Commissioner gave for ranking AL above us.

That wouldn’t be fair then. It is a team sport and they should rank teams based on the previous games without taking injury into consideration. Because if TN gets beat bad in their bowl game then it’ll mean they will be lower than Bama in the end of season rankings anyways

but the objective of the committee is to determine the best 4 teams today for the playoff. that is why the SEC has gotten 2 teams in the playoffs in the past over conference champions which is one piece of data.

An interesting scenario might if TCU wins over KSU by a small margin, say one or two points, would Ohio State then replace them? I could see a committee argument that OSU is a better team than TCU.

but the objective of the committee is to determine the best 4 teams today for the playoff. that is why the SEC has gotten 2 teams in the playoffs in the past over conference champions which is one piece of data.

An interesting scenario might if TCU wins over KSU by a small margin, say one or two points, would Ohio State then replace them? I could see a committee argument that OSU is a better team than TCU.
There is no way an undefeated team from a P5 conference is getting left out. Zero chance.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
My beef is the CFP's primary focus is on losses, not wins or strength of schedule. Bama has the edge not because who they played or beat, but because they lost "better" than Tennessee.

That's not the way competitive sports should be.
Yeah lost better shouldn't even matter when other clear yes no answers. Same record, TN better SoS, TN won H2H, TN beat both common teams. Bama Didn't
There's no reason to look at anything else

Actually, that logic only works if it’s differentials against the same opponents. They didn’t play Georgia or South Carolina. And the metrics that we do have against common opponents favor Tennessee as well. No way to spin it. They’re not following protocol, and at the very least should continue to get called out on it.
Like some other poster said what the OP listed is not the only thing the committee considers. There are other factors they listed that they consider.
I also think it does matter when you get stomped like we did. Bama’s losses were both one possession losses. We weren’t competitive in either of our losses. It clearly mattered to the committee as well.

Like some other poster said what the OP listed is not the only thing the committee considers. There are other factors they listed that they consider.
I also think it does matter when you get stomped like we did. Bama’s losses were both one possession losses. We weren’t competitive in either of our losses. It clearly mattered to the committee as well.

This has to be the dumbest argument ever.

Wins matter.

Since when did they hand out trophies for losing?

You cannot take an undefeated team in a power 5 conference out of the playoffs

I think TCU gets in for sure with an 8OT win. But if they lose it will be interesting to see if OSU passes them. Since OSU didn’t have to play another good team in a conference championship, I think they shouldn’t. I’m also biased as I don’t like OSU at all. But I bet they will.

No way they do that. How are the going to explain ranking TCU over a 1 lost TN at the time, when TN was clearly the better team.
Putting a 1 lost OH over undefeated TCU at this point probably would get committee members ran out of town.
Wouldn't be surprised if some congress person big on sports start calling for an investigation since college sport betting is legal.., may not go anywhere but they'll get their 15min sound bites

VN Store

Back