CFP Committee 5 Criteria - time for Danny to do what Danny does

Tman44

God Father of Soul
  • Strength of schedule. According to SI, Tennessee #24 - Alabama #53
  • Head-to-head game results. Tennessee 52 Alabama 49
  • Results vs. teams in Top 25 rankings. Alabama 3-2 Tennessee 5-1
  • Results vs. common opponents. LSU -Bama loss/ Tennessee rout Vandy -Bama @home 55-3 UT road win 56-0
  • Conference championships. Neither team will play
After looking at things this way, this isn't even close. Why state the criteria if they are to be thrown out the window? Danny White did a great job with P/R at UCF. I think its high time he get on Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, SVP, any and everyone that will give him an interview and demand the CFP Committee follow it's own rules. I get the fact Hooker is hurt; however, if it were that important personnel matters would be listed as a criterion. The more I explore this, the more sickened I become. I also think banging the drum loudly about this will exert even more pressure to squash the whining from (We don't play anyone) OSU about the Rose Bowl.

Go Vols!

• Results vs. common opponents. LSU -Bama loss/ Tennessee rout Vandy -Bama @home 55-3 UT road win 56-0
After looking at things this way, this isn't even close. Why state the criteria if they are to be thrown out the window? Danny White did a great job with P/R at UCF. I think its high time he get on Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, SVP, any and everyone that will give him an interview and demand the CFP Committee follow it's own rules. I get the fact Hooker is hurt; however, if it were that important personnel matters would be listed as a criterion. The more I explore this, the more sickened I become. I also think banging the drum loudly about this will exert even more pressure to squash the whining from (We don't play anyone) OSU about the Rose Bowl.

Go Vols!
The CFP committee has exposed themselves as being corrupt. They are on the record as saying that they used an event not in the criteria to install Bama above Tennessee. Yes, the SC loss was bad, but by the committee's stated criteria, that shouldn't have had any bearing on the ranking. Also, I don't see where a team's injury report and the hypothetical impact of that is listed in the criteria. They need to be publicly called out on it because the media has already fallen in line with the committee in justifying this major screw up.

We got our brains beat in by South Carolina.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.

Just like Bama had a chance to beat LSU but didn’t.

They have two losses with one being to us and to LSU whom we destroyed on their home field.

Therefore, your logic is flawed.

Go Vols!
It is actually on the website under the Principles tab, it clearly states that losing a key player can be a factor in the decision making process, Im not saying they got it right but it is listed as a deciding factor.

We got ran off the field and embarrassed on national television to Beamer Jr. and Carolina we don’t deserve the playoffs but neither does Bama. Even if we made it we would get embarrassed by any of those teams with Milton at QB.

We got ran off the field and embarrassed on national television to Beamer Jr. and Carolina we don’t deserve the playoffs but neither does Bama. Even if we made it we would get embarrassed by any of those teams with Milton at QB.
I dont think anyone is arguing that we should be in the playoffs, but we SHOULD be ranked ahead of Bama. There's really no metric that says otherwise. Subjective voters do what they do.

We don't deserve to be ahead of Bama. Stop making excuses and own it. The team had a chance to make it in and screwed up. Period.

When conducting scientific research, one of the rules of testability is that outliers are thrown out. Yet, some seem to be weighing the outlier more heavily than the more consistent results.

And we beat LSU AT LSU (must have involved some beating of brains there, too, since the margin of victory was actually greater than the SC game); an LSU team that beat Alabama. Yeah, bad loss. Destiny in our own hands. Just win and we don't have this discussion. Understood; but it still doesn't validate Alabama being ahead of us.

If I remember correctly, the committee last year using the same criteria downgraded Norte Dame’s ranking when Brian Kelly bolted for LSU. They said they also consider what key players/staff members are available at seasons end.

They need to add "Full Body of Work" to their criteria. Apparently, this was used in the discussion which landed us a lower ranking.

The good news is the committee only has one more year to screw things up and upset fans.

I honestly don't think it's the USCe loss. That's just one data point.

The thing that I think tipped the scales in Bama's favor from the CFP Committee's perspective is this: without Hendon Hooker, we are not a better team than Bama with Bryce Young.

Simple as that.

And I honestly can't say I disagree with them. We needed every bit of Hendon's ability to beat Bama. And we are not quite the same team with him out.

As much as I always hate to admit things like this, the Bama squad of early December are a slightly better football team than the Vols squad of early December, 2022.

The Committee are ranking the teams as honestly and carefully as they can, using every bit of information available to them. Can't fault the committee for doing that. Generally speaking we WANT them to do that.

Go Vols!

We lost 2 by 39 they lost 2 by 4. I think it’s fine that they are above us. They will probably get a better bowl game too. It doesn’t matter as neither will get into the playoffs anyway.

Actually, that logic only works if it’s differentials against the same opponents. They didn’t play Georgia or South Carolina. And the metrics that we do have against common opponents favor Tennessee as well. No way to spin it. They’re not following protocol, and at the very least should continue to get called out on it.

Go Vols!

that is not the only criteria. they have other considerations that they consider, injuries are considered, they review film, they get analytics from an analysis firm, they discuss each team in their meetings and there is other considerations made. Decisions are not made just on those 5 items.

CFP Selection Committee Protocol

They have a lot of discretion outside of the 5 items you listed. and most important, the human element. Humans have biases that they just can't wipe from their memory. If you read through all the information on the site it is easy to see there is a lot involved.. One member can make an argument that convinces others to change a view.

Consider this "principle" they list. The criteria you mention is CONSIDER when coming to conclusions but it doesn't say must be followed. Besides injuries, what are "other relevant factors"?

• The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

Reactions: Boone&Crockett

While I agree with you and have stated as much. The committee had a set of criteria they use and they’ve completely changed scripts when it comes to Tennessee and Bama.

The Committee is going to do what they are going to do.

At this point, The worse part is not the CFP spot, but by far is the suggestion that they could see OSU opting out of the Rose Bowl to get the Orange Bowl Slot.

They planted that seed for the B10

When conducting scientific research, one of the rules of testability is that outliers are thrown out. Yet, some seem to be weighing the outlier more heavily than the more consistent results.

It’s miles from science, or even transparent objective criteria, but that is probably your point. Just to push on this a little— A data set of twelve inputs isn’t robust enough to identify outliers. We had our ass handed to us twice. A trend like that (over 15%) is statistically significant. More importantly, the committee does something that is quite different than science, it arbitrarily ranks inputs that they claim they’ll use, then they use the ones they want to justify the needs of TV networks, city tourism boards, advertisers, conferences and teams (mostly in that order). If they wanted to use science (in this instance deductive data science) they’d publish a formula and follow it. They won’t because they want the human latitude of serving the listed constituents.

Reactions: SAPPER 5

Tell us why Bama deserves to be ranked ahead of tenn, based on the committee's standards.

If teams play each other and end with the same record, that head-to-head result should trump everything else.

Disagree- they should factor in quality wins, SOS, record against common opponents as well....

I wonder how many in the thread have read the entire CFP site? Its more than a small set of criteria and its very obvious committee members have latitude when applying ALL considerations mentioned on the site. Not just the 4 pieces of data that many continue to list.

This debate happens every spring with the college basketball tournament selection process. As long as there are human elements, there will be debate about rankings and/or selections..

VN Store

Back