CBS-SEC end relationship

Disney owns ESPN and ABC. They will put the SEC game of the week on ABC. This probably has something to do with Fox pushing hard for college games
Seeing an SEC game of the week on ABC will be a major change for me! That game has been on CBS for as far back as I can remember. I'm just not a big fan of ABC.

Reactions: 08Vol
I actually like Danielson, unlike some. He can be grating at times, but unlike a lot of other talking heads, absolutely knows his ****.
Really???? Then why the hell can't he ever get our players names rite if he knows his crap???????

I just think that if your gonna call a game you should atleast know the players names. Just my opinion...

Worse bro, Disney. They run so much politics down here (and not for the good) and they work they're staff like indentured servants. Horrible company when you peel back the layers of what they're really about which is money, greed, and shareholders only.
Every publically traded company is required to do everything to maximize shareholder return. If any company with a stock symbol says they "put the customer first" they are lying.

And, in this economy, nobody should be working a job they're not happy with.

CBS has backed out of negotiations with the SEC to carry the game of the week after 2023. Word is Disney will buy it for $300 million+ which will be divided to at least $20 million a year per school. Not going to lie, definitely won't miss Gary Danielson but I will really miss the CBS intro song.
Disney is the Borg. They push their agenda in every format. This is very bad.

Reactions: Voltopia
Every publically traded company is required to do everything to maximize shareholder return. If any company with a stock symbol says they "put the customer first" they are lying.
Not even remotely true. NO publicly traded company is "required" to "do everything to maximize shareholder return". And, if a company that sells a product does not put the customer first, their priorities are out of whack, their competition will beat them out, and in the long run they'll be out of business. The best companies put the customers first. If you do that, most everything else falls into line. Examples of companies that put profits before the customer: Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, Lehman Bros., Sears, Countrywide Financial, and WeWork, to name a few.

Not even remotely true. NO publicly traded company is "required" to "do everything to maximize shareholder return". And, if a company that sells a product does not put the customer first, their priorities are out of whack, their competition will beat them out, and in the long run they'll be out of business. The best companies put the customers first. If you do that, most everything else falls into line. Examples of companies that put profits before the customer: Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, Lehman Bros., Sears, Countrywide Financial, and WeWork, to name a few.
Wrong. Investing 101 "The board of the directors and the officers have direct control over the corporation, and therefore they owe fiduciary duties to the owners, who are the shareholders."

Now some companies my compete by offering a "great customer experience" but they are doing so at a higher margin than cheap companies.

If companies truly put the customer first they wouldn't put high fructose corn syrup in everything or agressively sell them products and services they don't really need.

If customers are truly the top priority then they'd operate at a break even.

I can promise you companies are really in business to make as much money as possible without completely breaking the law or alienating customers. Wells Fargo has pushed the envelope for years and they're still the #1 bank in the USA and likely always will be

And, in this economy, nobody should be working a job they're not happy with.

Actually I wasn't necessarily talking about customer, they seem to do a good job of that and they have a good product. My issue, personally, stems from their lobbying and politics here. Specifically against victims of human trafficking (which we are the third highest state due to influx of tourists and male oriented sporting events in which these victims, a lot of times children, are in high demand). Disney does a great job killing bills and keeping this dark secret quiet because they dont want to scare off customers. (And yes, I do work in this field)

As for employees there, you have to understand that Disney is the largest employer in this area and even though they are one of the top companies in the world, their pay scale on the hourly level is a joke while demanding high standards of employees. Nearly half of Orlando residents are at or below the poverty line.......not a great look when you're fishing for employees. Contrastly, Universal Studios tends to be a top employer and they have some great programs for struggling employees.......Disney just rubs me wrong with stuff like that.

From a cord cutters perspective, this sucks.

CBS always streams their broadcast for free.
ESPN requires a login tied to a cable account.

Unless like it's been mentioned and Disney will include this in some sort of streaming package like Dplus or Hulu...
I’m sure it will all change again over the next 3-4 years. Cable will be free or something by then lol

Naw, OAN is just as biased and hypocritical as everyone else. People pick their networks according to what they want to hear and see, whether it's the truth or not. Left or Right, I prefer doing my own thinking and making my own decisions instead of being told what to think and decide by anyone else. I'm nobody's puppet. As for Vols games, I have my ways of watching them when network greediness goes beyond a certain tolerance line.

Based on that response, I doubt you have watched OAN for 10 minutes. Highly doubt it.

They’re likely doing away with the whole “this time of day has contractually is exclusive and only one SEC game can be played during it” setup like was the case with CBS and that 3:30pm timeframe on Saturdays.

“According to the report, ESPN won the SEC over by pitching more creative scheduling by owning all the rights:

With ESPN owning all of the SEC’s football rights, it’s possible that more than one game will be produced for broadcast TV; more top-tier games can be moved to primetime; and the conference can schedule more late afternoon games without having to worry about running into CBS’ exclusive window.”
Maybe we can get more SEC games on the SEC Network, but I doubt it.

That's not the way I understood it but you may be correct about not showing any SEC games at all. CBS's production of the games sucked anyway. I would rather listen to Dick Vitale call a football game than Danielson.
Yeah Baby!!! I don't think so

It will be a major upset if this doesn’t land with CBS... SEC is king on it’s own station, that is a negotiation that isn’t over

Based on that response, I doubt you have watched OAN for 10 minutes. Highly doubt it.

I know "horsesheet" when I see or hear it. It's nothing more than a right-wing biased news network. As such just as cockeyed as any liberal or Democrat biased media. You view and listen to what you want. I do the same. Thank you. And I repeat, I refuse to be anybody's party puppet whatever party they belong to. I do my own thinking and deciding. I'm not going to be peer-pressured otherwise one way or the other by either side. Now, let's see if you can leave it at that or persist in trying to program me to think the same way you think.

For anyone who wants to take a quick look at OAN, I suggest two things.

1. Watch it for at least two weeks, specifically their new. Their right wing bias shows pretty explicitly.
2. For want of a bettr source examine this link: One America News Network - Wikipedia

I'm done with this topic.

I'm done with the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Seeing an SEC game of the week on ABC will be a major change for me! That game has been on CBS for as far back as I can remember. I'm just not a big fan of ABC.
Well, I remember when TBS had the SEC games in the 1980s. Especially '85 when they put us on four times including our march to the SEC title the last three games. So, just another networks turn. It will be fine.

Reactions: StarRaider
Every time I think of the money given to the NCAA and the conferences through those TV deals, I also think of the faceless guys administering that money at all levels and my mind turns to this:

But if we don't play Florida on CBS, I won't get to hear the normal 75 references to Tim Tebow that I've grown accustomed to.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My guess is it will be on abc and they will have a timeslot they consider the game of the week. Like now I believe its 7 with Fowler and herbstreit. The only question I have is are they buying a game of the week rights (1) or will they be able to show it all day (12,330,7). Not real clear there. Only thing i didn't like other than gary on cbs is i really liked the 8 pm primetime games

Give it time. Next thing you know the only way to watch games will be through a monthly subscription app.

VN Store

Back