CBS-SEC end relationship

VFL 24/7

Legend
CBS has backed out of negotiations with the SEC to carry the game of the week after 2023. Word is Disney will buy it for $300 million+ which will be divided to at least $20 million a year per school. Not going to lie, definitely won't miss Gary Danielson but I will really miss the CBS intro song.

Last edited:
This is bad for football. The last thing we need is ESPN expanding their influence.

Worse bro, Disney. They run so much politics down here (and not for the good) and they work they're staff like indentured servants. Horrible company when you peel back the layers of what they're really about which is money, greed, and shareholders only.

Worse bro, Disney. They run so much politics down here (and not for the good) and they work they're staff like indentured servants. Horrible company when you peel back the layers of what they're really about which is money, greed, and shareholders only.

Disney owns ESPN and ABC. They will put the SEC game of the week on ABC. This probably has something to do with Fox pushing hard for college games

This is bad for football. The last thing we need is ESPN expanding their influence.

You've got to look bigger, it's disney. I don't know if it will be bad or not, but I don't like it. Probably me just getting to be an old fart but anyways, guess we'll find out in a few years.

edit: looks like some already beat me to the punch

Reactions: Voltopia
If Disney hires Gary I will got to mouse
Land and s@&t in the front seat of every ride until they drag me out..
tenor.gif

I wonder who they will select and also will it be 3:30 games or night games

I would guess they might switch off depending on how popular the weeks games are

They’re likely doing away with the whole “this time of day has contractually is exclusive and only one SEC game can be played during it” setup like was the case with CBS and that 3:30pm timeframe on Saturdays.

“According to the report, ESPN won the SEC over by pitching more creative scheduling by owning all the rights:

With ESPN owning all of the SEC’s football rights, it’s possible that more than one game will be produced for broadcast TV; more top-tier games can be moved to primetime; and the conference can schedule more late afternoon games without having to worry about running into CBS’ exclusive window.”

Reactions: spyfish007

Sounds like those in charge at the SEC had this concern too (though not enough to say no to the deal).

“SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey has been concerned about all of the league’s rights being tied up with ABC/ESPN because of the leverage it would give the media company, sources said. It is not known if ESPN opened up its contract to operate SEC Network or its cable rights as part of these negotiations. Those contracts run through 2034.”

CBS has backed out of negotiations with the SEC to carry the game of the week after 2023. Word is Disney will buy it for $300 million+ which will be divided to at least $20 million a year per school. Not going to lie, definitely won't miss Gary Danielson but I will really miss the CBS intro song.

The ABC/ESPN bid is expected to be more than 6 times that of the $55 mil per season the conference received from the previous contract according to reports...so the deal is expected to be more than $330 mil total.

Since the SEC front offices get included alongside the 14 SEC schools when it comes to the sharing of TV contract revenue, bowl payouts, etc., then it would look like each school should get - at a minimum - $22 mil extra each year from this new contract. (Again depending on how far about $330 Mil this new deal ends up.)

Also, the “SEC on CBS” theme is about to go the way of the NBA on NBC’s “Roundball Rock.”

It's kind of odd Disney is buying it instead of subsidiary ESPN/ABC. I wonder if They plan to start showing games on Hulu or Disney+ like Amazon does with NFL games?

The SEC on CBS has been the preeminent college football game of the week for ages. 3:30 EST on CBS was _the_ timeslot. Very sorry to see it go. Very disappointed to see ESPN get their claws on it. They'll turn it into a farce of hot takes and hype, like they always do.

I love the music too! Chillbumps!

VN Store

Back