CBB Transfer Portal

Nashville and East for the most part...Tennessee and the Carolina’s with some international guys for the most part.

We haven’t gotten anyone from NC since 2016 right? He’s definitely locked down East TN, but it’s been largely spread out.

No. However, it will be interesting to see how Penny handles this. There will be at least 3 Memphis kids on the bench with limited playing time after these new commits. That can be tough to handle at Memphis.

Cal was good at taking just guys he wanted, Pastner ran into some issues taking too many guys and being issues on the team...it’s definitely a dynamic you have to be careful of.

Cal was good at taking just guys he wanted, Pastner ran into some issues taking too many guys and being issues on the team...it’s definitely a dynamic you have to be careful of.

Yep. For the most part, Cal didn’t recruit the city much. He took Shawn Williams, who he knew would play and leave early. He took Pierre Niles, who wasn’t good enough to start anyway.

I wasn't counting Stokes based solely on the circumstances in which we landed him. All things being equal, he wasn't coming except for being ruled ineligible bu the TSSAA and enrolling midseason, and we had a scholarship available.

The correct answers were Tony Harris and Dane Bradshaw.

No it hasn't because we've never built a program that was realistically going to attract top tier talent. Hopefully that will change.
It would take the most special and ideal set of circumstances, and Tennessee being a good stable program is only one of many of those. Even in our most stable and successful years, we couldn't tap in to Memphis. Even in Memphis' worst years, we couldn't. It just has never mattered.

Even under Pearl it didn’t haplen

Do you think Pearl built a program that attracted top talent? What exactly is your position- that having a top 10 type team in the state doesn't hurt? I'm not sure how you could argue that. I'd rather not have to compete with the for Memphis kids. Not sure who would argue with that.

Do you think Pearl built a program that attracted top talent? What exactly is your position- that having a top 10 type team in the state doesn't hurt? I'm not sure how you could argue that. I'd rather not have to compete with the for Memphis kids. Not sure who would argue with that.

Well he did sign lots of top talent, just not any from Memphis...how many highly coveted recruits do you see leaving Memphis and going to non-blue blood schools?

Well he did sign lots of top talent, just not any from Memphis...how many highly coveted recruits do you see leaving Memphis and going to non-blue blood schools?

You think Pearl signed lots of top talent? Really? But I'll ask it again-what is your point? That having a top program in our state competing for talent doesn't hurt us?

You think Pearl signed lots of top talent? Really? But I'll ask it again-what is your point? That having a top program in our state competing for talent doesn't hurt us?
Absolutely, do you have any clue how many top 100 players he signed? Really?

Memphis hasn’t been a top program in years, they sucked last year and could very well end up with the nations #1 class...point being they’re always going to land those local kids whether they’re a top program or not.

Memphis hasn’t been a top program in years, they sucked last year and could very well end up with the nations #1 class...point being they’re always going to land those local kids whether they’re a top program or not.

This. Memphis in terms of hoops might as well be it's own state

Pearl did not recruit great talent, you literally have no idea what you are talking about. If you are considering anyone in the top 100 "top talent" he still didn't do that great. But to my point, again, all I said was having to compete with in state kids for talent is not good for us. I guess you don't think it's a problem.

Pearl did not recruit great talent, you literally have no idea what you are talking about. If you are considering anyone in the top 100 "top talent" he still didn't do that great. But to my point, again, all I said was having to compete with in state kids for talent is not good for us. I guess you don't think it's a problem.

Name a coach at Tennessee that landed more Top 100 players? Top 75? How about Top 50??? You should probably stick to football from the sounds of it.

AGAIN...Memphis has sucked for the last, ~10 years, how exactly has that benefited Tennessee?

Name a coach at Tennessee that landed more Top 100 players? Top 75? How about Top 50??? You should probably stick to football from the sounds of it.

AGAIN...Memphis has sucked for the last, ~10 years, how exactly has that benefited Tennessee?

Wait. You went from claiming Pearl landed lots of top talent, and now you are saying that opinion is based on his performance against OTHER UT COACHES???? Ok, by that standard, I guess he did ok lol.

"Memphis has sucked for the last, ~10 years, how exactly has that benefited Tennessee" Your argument that Memphis has sucked and we have failed to capitalize DOES NOT MATTER. Our failure to attract top talent, from Memphis or anywhere else, does not mean we would not be better off not having to compete against an in-state school for in-state talent.

Memphis "sucking" (or us offering a better program than Memphis) is necessary, but it's not sufficient. We have to be better than Memphis, AND offer a top program where talent want to play. We haven't offered a top program to gain top talent, whether Memphis is good or not. Skal never considered us. Wiseman was leaving for Kentucky before Penny. Hell Alex Lomax had a top 6 of teams like Florida and Vandy, before committing to freaking Wichita State before Penny was hired.

I'd say you should stick to posting about football, but I'm sure you know jack @#$# about that as well.

Reactions: vols 30
Wait. You went from claiming Pearl landed lots of top talent, and now you are saying that opinion is based on his performance against OTHER UT COACHES???? Ok, by that standard, I guess he did ok lol.

"Memphis has sucked for the last, ~10 years, how exactly has that benefited Tennessee" Your argument that Memphis has sucked and we have failed to capitalize DOES NOT MATTER. Our failure to attract top talent, from Memphis or anywhere else, does not mean we would not be better off not having to compete against an in-state school for in-state talent.

Memphis "sucking" (or us offering a better program than Memphis) is necessary, but it's not sufficient. We have to be better than Memphis, AND offer a top program where talent want to play. We haven't offered a top program to gain top talent, whether Memphis is good or not. Skal never considered us. Wiseman was leaving for Kentucky before Penny. Hell Alex Lomax had a top 6 of teams like Florida and Vandy, before committing to freaking Wichita State before Penny was hired.

I'd say you should stick to posting about football, but I'm sure you know jack @#$# about that as well.
There’s so much wrong here I’m not even going to respond, let me know when Memphis recruit start flicking to Knoxville, I’ll wait...

Memphis kids are equivalent to a Dingleberry that stays intact after 3 bowls of Chili. U think they are gone but they just linger around home. Cant get rid of them. I just couldn't resist. Lol

Pearl had the best run in school history and still couldn’t recruit there, even with Steve Forbes toward the end. Forbes has Memphis connections.

Sure, Memphis being bad is better for us than them being good, but the point is that it hasn’t really mattered. Top 10 players from Memphis aren’t going to UT- they will end up at a blue blood if it’s not Memphis. Someone like Lomax wasn’t even recruited by us because he isn’t a high level player. Lomax will end up on the bench on his own team after these last few commits. Barnes wanted Tyler Harris because he could shoot.

As someone that grew up and still lives in a Memphis suburb, it’s very, very difficult to recruit local kids, even when Memphis is average. The only ones you even have a shot at are the suburban or private school kids. There are a lot of these kids that go to UT, and there are many alums in the suburbs.

Pearl was the best recruiter in modern UT basketball. Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, Wayne Chism, Scotty Hopson, and Tobias Harris were all top 35 recruits. 2 were top 10. Tyler Smith and Prince were both high level transfers. Hall, McRae, Golden, and Woolridge were top 65ish. Josiah James is the only Barnes recruit in that entire category. It’s fine because player development has been outstanding, but no other coach has really recruited that well.

Reactions: Big time vol
My 2 cents, living in a Memphis suburb. Most of the Memphis kids have extremely strong family ties - many with only one parent. (don't roast me, there are exceptions.) The family ties are hard to sever and the majority want to stay close to home to be around family. The families are very proud of their Tigers basketball, probably stronger fan loyalty than the Grizz. JMHO. To the Memphis kids, playing for the Tigers is like wearing a crown of achievement not matched in other places. UT will never get the players from Memphis if Penny wants them here, regardless of coach (including Cal, Coach K, etc.)

Pearl had the best run in school history and still couldn’t recruit there, even with Steve Forbes toward the end. Forbes has Memphis connections.

Sure, Memphis being bad is better for us than them being good, but the point is that it hasn’t really mattered. Top 10 players from Memphis aren’t going to UT- they will end up at a blue blood if it’s not Memphis. Someone like Lomax wasn’t even recruited by us because he isn’t a high level player. Lomax will end up on the bench on his own team after these last few commits. Barnes wanted Tyler Harris because he could shoot.

As someone that grew up and still lives in a Memphis suburb, it’s very, very difficult to recruit local kids, even when Memphis is average. The only ones you even have a shot at are the suburban or private school kids. There are a lot of these kids that go to UT, and there are many alums in the suburbs.

Pearl was the best recruiter in modern UT basketball. Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, Wayne Chism, Scotty Hopson, and Tobias Harris were all top 35 recruits. 2 were top 10. Tyler Smith and Prince were both high level transfers. Hall, McRae, Golden, and Woolridge were top 65ish. Josiah James is the only Barnes recruit in that entire category. It’s fine because player development has been outstanding, but no other coach has really recruited that well.

Could add Corey Walker to that category too as long as we keep him.

VN Store

Back